Archery Talk Forum banner

Elite Energy 35 - Valley feels shorter today

4534 Views 23 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  Nichko
So today I was shooting and all of a sudden my lovely Elite valley seemed to disappear. I took a few shots and then wham, the string lurched forward. It kind of shook me up since I wasn't used to that feeling. On the rest of my shots I felt like the valley was completely gone. I was all of a sudden using a ton of energy to hold at full draw.

Is this in my head or can something happen that causes the valley to change (draw stops move)?

I'm honestly nervous to shoot it until I figure out what's going on.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
677 Posts
what they said. If the limb stop, which is a little Peg that sticks out of the cam and hits the limb at full draw, has moved,, that would create the feeling you're describing. If that's all it is, no big deal. You can move it to where you like it (just make sure the top and bottom are both in the same spot), and tighten it up with an Allen wrench.

· Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
do I need to have a draw board to make sure they are in the same spot or can i just measure somehow to make sure they are in the same place.

i read an Elite tuning thread that said the stops may not be in the same exact spot on each cam, but they can still be hitting at the same time and this wouldn't mean cam timing is off as long as cables are hitting the same timing dots.
You want to set your draw stops so they hit the limbs at exactly the same time. Because there may be slight variances in limbs the stops may not be in exactly the same location on the cams. That's not what's important anyway as long as they hit at the EXACT same time.
thoughts?

· Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe your strings have stretched. Happen to me on my 14 E35, had to add a bunch of twists.
yeah, i think i'm going to be taking it back in to have it looked over. the shop i got it told me to bring it back after i put a few hundred shots through it to make sure everything was still in order, so i'll take them up on that.

· Registered
Omnia, EnKore, RevoltX
4,603 Posts
Doesn't sound like a string issue if it happened all of a sudden like you explained. My money is on your stops moving. After you put in on a draw board and get your valley where you want it, put blue locktite (red bottle)on the screws that hold them tight and you shouldn't have any further problems. Regardless of what your dealer discovers, let us know. You may help out a fellow Elite shooter. That's what this site is all about. (At least that's what it started out as) :' )

· Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Doesn't sound like a string issue if it happened all of a sudden like you explained. My money is on your stops moving. After you put in on a draw board and get your valley where you want it, put blue locktite (red bottle)on the screws that hold them tight and you shouldn't have any further problems. Regardless of what your dealer discovers, let us know. You may help out a fellow Elite shooter. That's what this site is all about. (At least that's what it started out as) :' )
Will do. I've gotten so much help here I can only hope some of my goof ups can benefit others.

· Registered
8,772 Posts
It could be just something you are now experiencing perhaps. I have owned like three E35 bows all with the generous elite valley and hitting just over 80% let off. The weird thing and my biggest complaint with the E35 was for me even with the nice valley if i relaxed a bit those bows wanted to take off. Still cannot explain it as i have not had this problem with any other Elite but each an every E35 I had was very jumpy for how much valley that bow had.

· Registered
2,123 Posts
First check and make sure cams are synced and the stops have not moved on you.
If those are good you may have a problem that I had last year.

I was getting "lazy" with the big valley of the elite, and found my self only holding to enough to where i was right on the edge of it starting to let go.

What i did to fix this is at night in my shed I would move my draw stops all the way in and draw and how my bow back while trying to aim at a small dot on my target. I would do this 20-30 times one arrow at a time. I did this 3 nights in a row out in the shed after we put the little one down for bed. Then moved my stops back out to my liking and never had the issue since.

· Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First check and make sure cams are synced and the stops have not moved on you.
If those are good you may have a problem that I had last year.

I was getting "lazy" with the big valley of the elite, and found my self only holding to enough to where i was right on the edge of it starting to let go.

What i did to fix this is at night in my shed I would move my draw stops all the way in and draw and how my bow back while trying to aim at a small dot on my target. I would do this 20-30 times one arrow at a time. I did this 3 nights in a row out in the shed after we put the little one down for bed. Then moved my stops back out to my liking and never had the issue since.
I have definitely considered this as my problem. And maybe now that the bow jumped out of my hand due to my laziness my body was overcompensating by pulling as hard as I can into the back wall. When I shoot tomorrow I'm going to start with a wrist release instead of my thumb release and draw and then let down to see how much let down it takes for the bow to hit the power cycle.

· Registered
178 Posts
If the stops loosened wouldn't they just slide to max DL and increase valley? Is the Energy series cam set up opposite of the older cam systems?
Usually only one stop moves. You'd think a loose stop would move back and max out the valley but when the cams stop moving the stops move forward decreasing the valley. If the stops are so loose they freely move you will hear them rattle or buzz. When they are just loose enough to move they slide and then bind when they contact the limb at the end of the draw.

· Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well thanks for all the advice guys it was definitely helpful for future use.

but i have to admit that after shooting today I think my problem was the above-mentioned laziness pulling into the wall combined with some fatigue from shooting more than I am used to. Everything went smoothly today and i'm back on track. I guess it never hurts to step away for a few days to regroup. thanks again for the input.

· Registered
515 Posts
had the same thing with my 14 E35,shooting stock string after about 400 shots.ended up switching mods from 28.5 down to 28.had custom fury string installed since and now thinking I need the 28.5 back.i should measure my old stock set,im guessing they are long.

· Registered
353 Posts
Had the exact same thing happen to me after buying a used Elite 35 and shooting it 30-40 times. It was my first "newer" bow in a long time ( last bow purchased was in 2001 !). Check each module and see if the rubber coated nut has come loose. When mine did it pulled me right out of the valley at full draw - actually there wasn't much, if any valley. Some people prefer this but I wanted maximum let off. Moving the draw stop makes a world of difference - it was actually so. Isn't and day I couldn't believe it.

Good luck.

· Registered
353 Posts
I have definitely considered this as my problem. And maybe now that the bow jumped out of my hand due to my laziness my body was overcompensating by pulling as hard as I can into the back wall. When I shoot tomorrow I'm going to start with a wrist release instead of my thumb release and draw and then let down to see how much let down it takes for the bow to hit the power cycle.

DONT FORGET TO NOCK AN ARROW - you don't want to dry fire it ! Yes, I was yelling. ��

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.