Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but can't seem to find the answer. What are the stock shim sizes that come from the factory on an Energy 35? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Mine were .040, .085 and .090" on my E32. I bought a shim kit from DBLlungIT to fine tune (yes i was bored) but found the factory shims were perfect. I did change them with the smaller diameter DBLlungIT shims because i like them much better, but thickness and orientation remained the same.

·
Registered
456 Posts
aledub; the reason for the larger diameter is so it doubles as covers so dirt and dust and whatever doesn't get into the bearings. fyi

·
Registered
173 Posts
aledub; the reason for the larger diameter is so it doubles as covers so dirt and dust and whatever doesn't get into the bearings. fyi[/QUOTE

I'll disagree. The smaller diameter shims contact the inner ring face only eliminating any friction causing drag potentially created with the stationary outer ring face that the larger factory shims create to a degree. All bows I've ever looked at use bearings with RS1 seals (vs. inferior ZZ shields) that seal in grease/lubricant and obviously will seal out external contaminants. Take it from an engineer that works with motion control systems every day.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Something else to look out for is the small shims can cause the bearing to move creating play in the cam. Only had this happen with one set of REV cams but it can happen.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Lots of info online on bearings and their uses in design for anyone so inclined to look.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For future people wondering, mine ended up being a .040 on string side and a .110 on cable side

·
Registered
456 Posts
aledub; the reason for the larger diameter is so it doubles as covers so dirt and dust and whatever doesn't get into the bearings. fyi[/QUOTE

I'll disagree. The smaller diameter shims contact the inner ring face only eliminating any friction causing drag potentially created with the stationary outer ring face that the larger factory shims create to a degree. All bows I've ever looked at use bearings with RS1 seals (vs. inferior ZZ shields) that seal in grease/lubricant and obviously will seal out external contaminants. Take it from an engineer that works with motion control systems every day.
i never thought of that interesting point.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
dirt can get into sealed bearings, "sealed" doesn't mean **** when it comes to bearings.
All bows I've ever looked at use bearings with RS1 seals (vs. inferior ZZ shields) that seal in grease/lubricant and obviously will seal out external contaminants.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts