Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my #80 Elite E500 less than two months, more like six weeks or so, just went on a three day hunt after black bear and mule deer, noticed a small surface crack forming on the outside edge of my top limb, about mid length of the limb. Got some sent next day to my dealer and got them installed a few days later, shot ten shots at the shop to get the nock/rest dialed back in, then brought it home, didn't shoot again until today.

Tenth aroow and as I draw back crack, right on the inside edge of the lower limb, 1/8th wide and four inches long.

These barnsdale limbs are supposed to be top notch right, anyone else have any issues with their Elite limbs?

for the record I am shooting a 405gr arrow @27".

·
Registered
440 Posts
Every once in a while a supposedly respectable name needs to get added to everybody's ****list for real reasons. Sounds like Barnsdale is a candidate for that sort of thing. I've got several bows which are heavier than that which shoot lighter arrows than that without damage. On a bow made in 2006, there's no excuse.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am still scratching my head, I definately didn't expect this, I am sure they will send replacement limbs asap, but I am still concerned as to what to expect.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Sounds like Elite might want to ask High Country about the idea of heat treating bow limbs, particularly if they're going to sell bows over 70 lbs draw weight.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Man, i was considering buying a elite and im a bowtech guy. Looks like the barnsdale limbs crack like the rest of them.

·
Registered
971 Posts
bearclaw37 said:
I have had my #80 Elite E500 less than two months, more like six weeks or so, just went on a three day hunt after black bear and mule deer, noticed a small surface crack forming on the outside edge of my top limb, about mid length of the limb. Got some sent next day to my dealer and got them installed a few days later, shot ten shots at the shop to get the nock/rest dialed back in, then brought it home, didn't shoot again until today.

Tenth aroow and as I draw back crack, right on the inside edge of the lower limb, 1/8th wide and four inches long.

These barnsdale limbs are supposed to be top notch right, anyone else have any issues with their Elite limbs?

for the record I am shooting a 405gr arrow @27".

It doesn’t seem to be a common problem and for it to happen to you twice I would get the new limbs pressed by another dealer in case it is during the pressing operation that the limbs have been damaged leading to the eventual failure. If all else fails talk to Dave he is a nice guy and would like to fix problems before they get out of hand.
Cheers
Peter

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
Ausie said:
It doesn’t seem to be a common problem and for it to happen to you twice I would get the new limbs pressed by another dealer in case it is during the pressing operation that the limbs have been damaged leading to the eventual failure. If all else fails talk to Dave he is a nice guy and would like to fix problems before they get out of hand.
Cheers
Peter

Good point.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Other supposedly reputable dealers who have made it to the top of my personal ****list for different include Badger Barrels and Lyman. It happens.

Barnesdale clearly has no clue as to making limbs for 80-lb bows and appears to be basically a manufacturer of women's archery equipment. I have bows set at 80 or more lbs made by Bowtech, HCA, Browning, Darton, and Oneida and I have yet to see a limb come apart on any of them from it. In fact one of my HCA bows is set at about 83 lbs and shoots a 280-gr HC arrow without problems.

In fact despite the stories I hear about limbs coming apart, the only time I've actually seen it was with an older Browning bow which had been put together with two lower limbs (i.e. improperly) and which never failed again after Browning supplied a real upper limb for it.

·
Registered
702 Posts
medved said:
Other supposedly reputable dealers who have made it to the top of my personal ****list for different include Badger Barrels and Lyman. It happens.

Barnesdale clearly has no clue as to making limbs for 80-lb bows and appears to be basically a manufacturer of women's archery equipment. I have bows set at 80 or more lbs made by Bowtech, HCA, Browning, Darton, and Oneida and I have yet to see a limb come apart on any of them from it. In fact one of my HCA bows is set at about 83 lbs and shoots a 280-gr HC arrow without problems.

In fact despite the stories I hear about limbs coming apart, the only time I've actually seen it was with an older Browning bow which had been put together with two lower limbs (i.e. improperly) and which never failed again after Browning supplied a real upper limb for it.
Yep, you just made my ignore list. Good Job!:zip:

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
medved said:

83lbs 280gr arrow WOW you must be brilliant.

·
NC ASA Director
35,987 Posts
medved said:

Put a sock in it. :mad:

Get off the man's thread if you don't have anything to add. :wink:

Go shoot your High Country really fast. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
440 Posts
ultramax said:
83lbs 280gr arrow WOW you must be brilliant.
High Country does not sell the most mechanically sophisticated or complex bows in the world but is ten or fifteen years ahead of the rest of the pack in materials. The old idea of 5 gr/lb simply does not apply; High Country themselves set that bow up for me and it could shoot those arrows from now until Jesus comes back to the world without harm.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
medved said:

I would consider it an honor to be on your personal ****list. I'm thinking you would be better off sitting in the woods by yourself, instead of in front of a computer.

·
Registered
440 Posts
ex-NFO said:
I would consider it an honor to be on your personal ****list. I'm thinking you would be better off sitting in the woods by yourself, instead of in front of a computer.
The thing which always amazes me about ignorant people is the way so many of you take pride in it. I'd be ashamed of it myself.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
apparently 5 grains per pound is not enough for a high poundage bow.

wonder if they would have lasted longer if you had shot 7 or 8 grains per lb.

I shoot 412 grain arrows out of a 60 lb bow and never have any problems with limbs.

I shoot a 350 grain arrow out of a 56 lb bow with barnsdale limbs and I haven't had any problems yet.

looks to me like 5 grains per lb is just to light when you get into high poundage.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Bees said:
looks to me like 5 grains per lb is just to light when you get into high poundage.

That' could be true if you insist on buying bows with Barnesdale limbs.

But HC isn't the only company not suffering from such problems. Bowtech for instance has told me that I can safely go to about 4 gr/lb and I have one of their safari bows set at about 86 lbs which shoots a 345 gr HC arrow without problems, at about 345 fps. That would be a 31" 6.2 gr/inch HCA shaft, a 100 grain point, and one of Inventive Technology's 60 grain Accuvanes.

The ONLY reason for the old 5 gr/lb limit was the assumption that you needed weight to have stiffness. The HCA arrows do not have that problem; they're as stiff or stiffer than anything else out there without the weight.

WITHOUT the stiffness, you'd have an arrow doing an impression of a wet noodle coming off a heavy bow, which WOULD be like dry snapping the bow, and the bow would have to be very well made indeed to survive.

HCA bows can be dry snapped without harm; you might have to replace a string, but that's all. I don't know of anybody else making a bow which could take that.

WITH a very light but yet very stiff arrow such as HC sells, any efficient modern bow will simply translate the lesser weight into greater speeds. Momentum, the thing you are trying to create in the arrow, will remain roughly the same and stress on the bow will be no greater than if you'd shot a heavier arrow at less velocity.

Up to some point that is. Like I said, Bowtech seemed to think that point was more like 4 gr/lb than 6 or 7.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts