Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have drawn an Bull elk hunt here in NM and I usually use Montec BH for ELK but I killed a Mulie with a Rage last year and was VERY impressed with the damage, short tracking etc.

I know that it is all about shot placement etc but I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on using a Rage 2blade for elk or even past experience.

Please no flamming I am just looking for feedback to see if I should stick with Montec or try the rage.

Thanks in advance

Jacob

·
Registered
186 Posts
I would highly recommend not using a expandable on elk, Your penetration is not as reliable as a fixed blade BH. Im not saying a Rage wouldnt do the job, but I wouldnt wanna see my trophy elk run a country mile cause he sees this "thing" (arrow) sticking out off his side attacking him.Ive seen alot of elk get shot and when you get a good pass through, typically the elk just jump from the sting and sound and by the time they know whats going on and run its too late and they dont get far. I would stick with whats gonna give you a high % probability of a pass through. Either way good luck and congratulations

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
No doubt the rage will take an elk, but like you said its show placement. What is your KE and Momentum. You need a serious amount of both to do it....Unless you hit shoulder on entry you should be ok, but on goes to question how most fixed blades would do on a shot like that...

·
Registered
631 Posts
expandables are fine.

I have read a lot about the rage's not opening once and a while which is something you do not want happening on an elk.

Ive been using spitfires and have talked with other guys using them for way longer than me that they are rock solid dependable.

Tried some grim reapers last season. Had two in our group that didnt open (thankfully on does and not something really important...yes they did die quickly anyway cuz they were good shots...ethics nazi's)

·
Registered
7,903 Posts
I have drawn an Bull elk hunt here in NM and I usually use Montec BH for ELK but I killed a Mulie with a Rage last year and was VERY impressed with the damage, short tracking etc.

I know that it is all about shot placement etc but I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on using a Rage 2blade for elk or even past experience.

Please no flamming I am just looking for feedback to see if I should stick with Montec or try the rage.

Thanks in advance

Jacob
Here's the main reason why I think expandables shouldn't be used on elk...

When you don't get a pass-through an expandable will just fold up and fall out. A fixed blade BH will continue to cut as the elk runs. This is damage that you really want to happen, especially if your shot isn't ideal. In many cases I feel like the pain of having the BH in them makes them bed down and die.

I make 80+ lbs. of KE and I can tell you that pass-throughs only happen on elk about 50% of the time for me. That's a 440 grain arrow too.

I say stick with the Montec's or if you want equivalent cutting area to a mechanical try a Slick Trick standard. They put elk down quick!

Just my .02

·
Registered
517 Posts
My hutning partener last year shot his bull elk with a rage. It worked fine for him, but he is shooting over 80 in KE and using a arrow that weighed around 520 grains. His arrow didn't pass through the bull but the very tip made a hole in the hide on the offside. This shot was through the ribs, no big bones hit.
I would say if your KE and more importantly your momentum is up there high it is doable. But wouldn't recommend it if that's not the case. Myself I used a stinger 4 blade and had good results. I dont have the KE or momentum that he does. My KE is around 67. Both our bulls went about 100 yards.

·
In Urban We Trust
2,463 Posts
Knowing the make up of both heads and the toughness of an elk, I would stick with the Montec. I know a Rage would do the job if the shot placement is perfect, but what if it isn't? The Montec will penetrate better if the shot is a little less than perfect. JMO

·
Anti Fanboy
48,491 Posts
Most def use the toughest broadhead you can find that flies accurate out of your rig. Way too many varibles with a large critter so why subject yourself and the critter to even more. I've killed many elk and I can tell you without a doubt that I would never consider using anything like a rage. Can it be dont, yes. Its it a good choice, nope. Way too many broadheads out there that are better suited for elk.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
The endless broadhead debate is just that, ......a debate. Shoot whatever your most comfortable with. Be patient and take high percentage shots and you will be fine. I've shot 2 elk with what a lot of people on here would say is a way too light an arrow and onlg shooting 60lbs and have had complete passthroughs buried in the dirt. While this was with a fixed head, I highly dou t a mechanical would've failed to produce. Both animals were at 30 yards and dead broadside. Hit in the right spot they don't go far. I think sometimes people think Elk are mythical and you must overcompensate to be succesaful harvesting one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rage Broad heads

Hey Everyone
23 years of archery hunting elk and have killed elk every year straight with a bow 15 years, but until this year I have never lost confidence in a broadhead until now! four Bulls every shot in the boiler room NO RECOVERY!!!! Rage broad heads should NEVER EVER BE USED ON ELK!!!!! People just to let you know I have always recovered my elk but when you don't have a blood trail to follow? I believe the hide is falling back over the wound channel and plugging up the hole.Elk can go for miles even after being shot with a rifle. My cow this year had a bullet dug out of her back leg from last year.BTW I had an additional cow calf tag.My friend Don finally got his shot this year and placed his bolt right behind the front shoulder of a spike complete pass though, we watched him walk back to the timber about 140 yards and disappear, I have hunted this area for 28 years and know it like the back of my hand, we left came back 2 hours later in the dark found the blood trail started following it to where I was on my hand and knees looking for blood until we couldn't find another drop. Came back the next morning and found where we left off. NO BLOOD TRAIL! I will never use a mechanical again!!!!!!!!!!! Pull the oil plug on em with a fixed blade 3 or more the more you cut the less they have to use and the more blood pours out. Paint the forest floor red USE A FIXED BLADE!

·
Banned
11,758 Posts
Rage chisel with 40ke blades and the elk don't stand a chance.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Montec CS...you're asking because something "could" go wrong. There are those who have used without incident and others who have use with incident. A montec cs flies the same out of a properly tuned bow as does an expandable, but you never have to question whether it will open or not. Why take the risk? Again, as someone up above stated, this is my opinion, so take it for what it is....an opinion.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.