Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning a first elk hunting in CO, what should I bring and what should I don't bring?

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
If you haven't found it yet I would recommend looking at rokslide.com. It's a site that focus's on western hunting.

As far as your question it's too broad to answer. Are you going archery or rifle hunting, what month, DIY, drop camp or fully guided? Each will have different lists of what to bring.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Agree on reading through Rokslide as it’s focus is on western hunting

·
Corripe Cervisiam
20,800 Posts
Bring a positive good attitude...and some comfortable boots.

Everything else is gravy....../grin

·
Registered
15,098 Posts
^^^lol
Medical or recreational?

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
Great glass with tripod
Rangefinder with TBR
Great boots
Darn Tough socks
Shooting accuracy
A heart that is cardio shape
A body that is in shape (other than round)
Good pack
Havalon knife
Game bags
Paracord
Big cooler
First Lite clothes
Rain suit
1st Aid Kit
Back up bow
Cash
On X Maps
4X4 truck
Go 4 it attitude
Cow calls
Bull bugle tube
Wind Checker
Down sleeping bag
Tarptent
Mountain House food
Water bladdr/ purifier
Cook Stove, micro
READ READ READ about elk and watch as many Youtube videos you can to key in on their behavior.
Learn the gutless method of field dressing, you cannot drag 700 pounds.

Good luck.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I’m curious ^^^. What exactly do you mean when you say the gutless method of field dressing?

I second the darn tough socks. Best socks I’ve ever owned.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
I went for the first time last year. Once you get your gear squared away,the most important things are be in shape and have the best boots you can afford. First day the altitude will kick your ass,I recommend a slow,warm up day.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I went for the first time last year. Once you get your gear squared away,the most important things are be in shape and have the best boots you can afford. First day the altitude will kick your ass,I recommend a slow,warm up day.
I’ve never hunted out west, but took my first trip to CO from NY recently and would 100% suggest this. Even if you are in good shape and workout regularly (I do), the altitude will most likely kick your ass until you get used to it. Hiking and even possibly just regular activities could be significantly tougher depending on how sensitive you are to the altitude coming out from sea level.

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
3,772 Posts
do not take your tidie whities, buy the coolmax/breathable undies, not cotton....It used to be the only places that carried them was the mountainering places like REI, now even Kohl's carries them.

you do not say where you will be hunting, I have always hunted Colo. at 10,000 on up..get there a day early and take it easy. Even though I do triathlons and run and bike, I think the best thing is, to just go out and walk, take your headphones and water and work up to walking a couple hours at a time...as you will be doing a lot of walking, up/down or flat....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts