Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever hunted elk from a (portable) ground blind? Anyone have any thoughts/recommendations on this approach? I'm going to Colorado this September for my first elk hunt. The person I'm going with has been a few times and is thinking we might try using a ground blind, if the right situation presents itself.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Never used one for elk, should work under the right circumstances, like around a waterhole. Especially as dry as its been.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I am no elk hunter but I hunted elk in Colorado a couple of years ago. We were calling and chasing them all over the mountain. The closest I called one in was 10 yards but I had no shot. I think the blind would only slow you down. There should be enouph cover or tree to hide behind that you do not need a blind.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Call em' and chase em' and call em' some more. I have not had much luck hunting Elk while remaining stationary for any length of time. Staying on the move till your close to em' works best for me. Just my .02. Good Luck!:D If you bag one, show us a pic.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have a ground blind I hunt when I am just too tired to hike very far. It is a 15 minute hike to a meadow that is just below a bedding area. I sit on a blow down and in front of a good branched pine tree. I will call about every 15 - 20 minutes, a series of cow calls and maybe a little bull bugle. The meadow is not very large, about 75 yards across with a small water hole. I have taken 2 bulls out of this meadow and have seen several more just out of range. I would rather call and chase the elk but you got to take it easy once in a while. I have never tried any of the portable blinds but they should work in the right conditions. If I hear a bugle, and it sounds like it is not comming my way, I just got to go after him. That has happen several times. I hunt with my ears as much as with my eyes.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts