Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to Elk City Idaho Sept 5-12 2010, Going to hunt zone 15 nez perce forest area and going to get an A tag...anybody ever hunted this area before? any tips or advice?

Going to stay at elk city cabins...says right in the heart of the forest...anyone ever stayed there?

It's going to be a self guided hunt and from what i heard the elk should be rutting and bugling pretty good...

any advice or reviews is always appreciated!!

Thanks

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
i heard from a reliable source that the local tribes in the area hunt year round for elk, legally, so if you hunt this area get off the beaten path as most of these guys are road hunters.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thansk for the info...we're going to try to get as far back as we can to get away from anybody!! hopefully we will get lucky and find one that's dumb enough to come in...lol...we have A tags so that should help some!!

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
anybody else?

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ttt

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
I think you're a little early for the real screamingpeealloveryourself rut. But, I think they should be moderately vocal and plenty callable then (depending on pressure).

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks bob!! When i reserved the cabin last night the guy said we should be hitting it about right...we are getting A tags like i said and will be using traditional equipment so any kind of kill is going to be awesome!!

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ttt

·
Registered
245 Posts
I think you're a little early for the real screamingpeealloveryourself rut. But, I think they should be moderately vocal and plenty callable then (depending on pressure).
That will probally be after the 20th.

·
Registered
705 Posts
My buddy is trying to get me to go to the exact area as you are going for the 2010 season based on the past success of a guy he knows. After much research i am not convinced it is the best place to spend my valuable vacation time on a DIY elk hunt based on declining success percentages over the last few years. Some say wolves are a big problem in idaho, i dont know. I am going to to keep looking but, am tired of going to colorado and thinking i am in the middle of nowhere and calling in other hunters or being 5 miles back running in to bikers and hikers. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Best of luck on the hunt. I was out there this past fall in the Selway-Bitteroot and the wolves have all but wiped out the deer and elk. :mad:
I hope it's better where you will be.

Lien2

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So are the wolves really bad out there now? I hadn't heard that they were really that bad...everyone i've talked to out there said this year was an AMAZING year and the best they've had in about 5 years...they said that the hunt for them will help the population...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts