Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for your first elk that you get with a nice 5x5 rack or better would you get a head mount or a rack mount and as usual money is an issue, say you can come up with the money but it will hurt a little, in the long run is it worth it, this may be the last time I get to do a hunt like this,you see I"m in a fight with a beast called parkinson's now. BOOM goes the dynomite

·
Registered
326 Posts
A trophy is what you make of it. Its all personel pref weather you want a mount or not. One thing I have noticed is that mounts are a lot cheaper in the east then out west. Why dont you just do a europrean and send the cape off to get tanned, then if you have the money later you can get it done.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
One thing to consider is the size of a head mount on an elk. I have a 5x4 antler mount and it is around 4 feet tall! To hang head mount of a bull, you are looking at probably 5-6 feet tall and coming out from the wall 2 feet. That's alot of space!!

I would have loved him mounted, just didn't have the space.

Another consideration, though more money, is a pedestal mount, sits on the floor and you can move it around

·
Registered
598 Posts
ANY elk with a bow is a trophy!
If this is your only opportunity then go with what you can afford.
Maybe a European mount would be good? I like them but thats me and there not that hard on the wallet :D but a full shoulder mount is stunning :shade:

Wish ya the best in your hunt and with your battle.

Elk

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Elk caller is right. Getting any elk with a bow is quite a feat. Relatively few actully succeed year to year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.