Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· BIRD HUNTER
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ELK HUNTER WHATS A GOOD BUGLE CALL ?

This year I going to try a DIY elkhunt. Need to learn to call. What would you suggest for a bugle call. I got a cow call on the way ,Primos Hoochie Mama cow call . come free with my eastons magazine.But looking for a good Bugle tube.

· Registered
1,558 Posts
Diaphragm and mouth.

Stick with the diaphragm and mouth type calls. You have more control and can do hundreds of call variations. Hand calls are just that, hand. They require the use of your hand and movement. The primos type bugles work and carry well, but are extremely limited, and they are too consistent, the same sound over and over. The use of diaphragms requires practice and skill. but you will get ten times the response from the elk, and be able to sound more like an elk. No two of them sound alike. Paul Medel's DVDs can teach you to call, and help you to make the right sounds. They are a great source of knowledge, but the best teacher is experience in the field, and practice.

· Registered
182 Posts
Stick with the diaphragm and mouth type calls. You have more control and can do hundreds of call variations. Hand calls are just that, hand. They require the use of your hand and movement. The primos type bugles work and carry well, but are extremely limited, and they are too consistent, the same sound over and over. The use of diaphragms requires practice and skill. but you will get ten times the response from the elk, and be able to sound more like an elk. No two of them sound alike. Paul Medel's DVDs can teach you to call, and help you to make the right sounds. They are a great source of knowledge, but the best teacher is experience in the field, and practice.

Agreed! You can use the mouth call at full draw to stop, or try to bring the elk back if he bolts. We all carry the Hoochie mama, but only use it as a locator when we cannot see eachother while walking dense areas. Its loud and very distinguishable! I kinda like the Primos mouth reed calls (cow girl?!), but you need to use your hand to be able to vary sounds.
Tom

· Registered
7,119 Posts
I choke on reeds, but I'm still trying to get a handle on it with little success. These guys are right, if you can master the reed they are much more realistic and you can vary the calls much more. I have several bugles that are not the reed type: Primos Baffle, Elk inc., Monarch (Elknut product) H.S. Specialties and all these bugles sound different, but they work resonably well. I highly recommend the Elknut videos and book, it will help you understand more what elk are saying. It will not only increase the odds of calling in elk, it will decrease the odds of alerting or scaring elk.

· Registered
288 Posts
Think like an Elk. If you heard "here Elk, here Elk, Here Elk, here Elk," with the same monitone voice then you have heard the Hoochie Mama. Use a mouth Reed and get good at it. You can then say "Here Elk" if you want and then you can follow it up with a "Come on Baby........You sexy thing" or a "Hello there mr. Elk, You are such a stud and I am over here just a waiting".

There is just soooooo much more opportunity to mix it up a bit.

· Registered
211 Posts
Bugle............Power Bugle in an Abe and Sons Tube.

I use mouth diaphragm most of the time but that has been the best sounding combo I have found.

I feel set-up is most important when calling Elk not so much what you sound like.

Mike

· Registered
771 Posts
http://www.buglingbull.com/

Everything you need. His big bugle has a reed cap that can be taken off if you want to use a diaphragm with the tube. If you can't use a diaphragm his reed sounds the best that I have heard and it is easy to use.

Edit: by the way, Rockie has the patent on Primos' "dome" mouth calls. He is the man when it comes to calling. Primos is a better marketing machine. Rockie can out call all of them.

· Registered
375 Posts
I prefer a good quality tripple mouth reed and a tube.

I think you can sound more like a bull rather than using most of the models with the reeds buil in. My two anyways

d

· Registered
5,920 Posts
With practice, and having listened to bugles to know what you are "supposed" to sound like, you can make good sound out of an assortment of different bugles. I have one like the one pictured above, and a Primo's with the blue snap ring diaphragm, and I can make good sound out of both, actually, I think the Primo's makes a little better sound, but a double reed used correctly, makes a good sound as well. The KEY though is PRACTICE.

· Registered
182 Posts
I started with the Primos blue reed call, and I still carry it, but pull the reed end off and use the mouth call. Just gives more options. You will find that you use a cow call alot more than a bugle, so I would concentrate on the cow sounds, then work to the bugle. ELKNUT1 really has some great info on calling. He has a forum on sagecreekforums.com with some great info along with some great products.
Tom

· Registered
1,503 Posts
i only use a bugle for locating anymore. too often i just bugle in hunters, so it stays on my pack most of the time. getting good with a mouth reed is your best bet.

+1............................................. Bulls these days, even the young ones are very well educated. We've all taught them well. I only bugle to locate also.

· Registered
2,114 Posts
Even though calling works well, your hunting skill are more important. IE how why when where. If these are honed then calling finishes the job. Elk make so many different sounds for many different reasons and knowing what is what sets you apart from the rest of the guys in the woods. Short version, Elknut. What Paul can teach you will get you started but you still have to finish it in the woods over time. I learned in the woods and I am hear to tell you listen to Paul. Mouth calls are my choice, I do carry externals but only for an extra cow when I need her. Bugling in bulls is an art. Most guys in the woods can make a bugle sound but it needs to sound real to the elk. Most don't. See part of the deal is elk make sounds we can't hear so knowing when not to call is huge! But there is a reason for how and when they call. A cadence and rhythm to how they bugle. If I had to put it in a word "emotion", they call with emotion. And because of how intense the rut is they become emotional and you have to know how to match that, not easy. To match that emotion I carry more than one reed. Doubles, 2.5s, tripple and 3.5s, learning to match that situation is to become an elk hunter.
Gselkhunter

· BIRD HUNTER
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wanted to thank everyone who responded . I have contacted elknut/ Paul (This guys the real deal)Paul was very helpful . I ordered the dvd's and A Chuckler Starter Kit and the new book ElkNut's PlayBook .Now I have all sommer to learn to call.:eek:ccasion16:

· Registered
3,016 Posts
http://www.buglingbull.com/

Everything you need. His big bugle has a reed cap that can be taken off if you want to use a diaphragm with the tube. If you can't use a diaphragm his reed sounds the best that I have heard and it is easy to use.

Edit: by the way, Rockie has the patent on Primos' "dome" mouth calls. He is the man when it comes to calling. Primos is a better marketing machine. Rockie can out call all of them.
+1 thats my set up. YOu can trim the reeds so they fit your mouth better, my brother in law trims his so he dosn't gag on them. get a mouth reed to practice with and get a few to take with you. I have found they are only good for one season. So I would get a one or a few to learn with then have a few new ones to take with you. He makes them for the bugle and for cow calling. I was able to call in elk my first season and I only picke them up the month before so it does not take long to learn. getting good though is another story.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.