Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is something that I never hear anyone mention in books or in conversation on here. We've been peppering our meat for years when we quarter and prepare for packing it in. It is very effective at keeping the blow flys off. Another positive effect is it seems to prevent or atleast discourage bear from eating it. I have personally quartered elk and laid the quarters(peppered) on a log or something in the shade next to the kill with spruce branches covering them until I could get back with the pack animal the next day. I came back the next day and a bear had been there and only ate the guts. Just wondering if you guys do this.

·
Registered
79 Posts
One of us in the group always carries a large container of pepper for our meat. We then place in the thinner style game bags and hang from trees with parachute chord until we get back from the first trip. Never had any problems with other critters and it definitely keeps the flies away. :thumbs_up

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,364 Posts
I have never peppered, nor have I lost any meat. Have I unknowingly eaten blow fly eggs? Perhaps........don't know, don't care.

I try to cut the elk up as quickly as possible and put in double-bagged game bags.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
My friend carries pepper for this reason, but I've never tried it. I lost a good bit of meat to a bear a couple of years ago and I would like to know if it is any good for keeping the bears away.

·
A Man for All Seasons
2,713 Posts
pfefer elk

I have never have; I have lost most of elk before when I quarter a bull up and left on logs to cool overnight until I returned. the next morning the coyotes had pretty much had there way with it. :angry:
do coyotes like pepper?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
We carry pepper also incase, but around here the coyotes will have it gone if you leave it for any period of time. Keeps the flies away on the pack-out but we never leave an animal down around here. Two-leggeds are mostly responsible for it being gone here, and next would be coyotes.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have never have; I have lost most of elk before when I quarter a bull up and left on logs to cool overnight until I returned. the next morning the coyotes had pretty much had there way with it. :angry:
do coyotes like pepper?
I don't know, I would think it would discourage anyway.

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
I don't know, I would think it would discourage anyway.
I dont think anything will discourage a yote.

I have peppered meat in the past, still draws sweat flies though. I know some guys that soak their game bags in watered down tabasco sauce to keep the flys off.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I hunt moose, not elk, but we run into the same issues. I have never peppered a moose before, i usually just game bag it and hang it in a tree in an area with a nice light breeze and i dont have any issues with flies. Another method, besides pepper, that i have heard of is citric acid. You lightly spray it on and it is suppse to create that nice skin crust over the meat.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,364 Posts
I dont think anything will discourage a yote.
In 28 years, of all the elk I have left overnight, I haven't had a single case of coyotes or bears messing with my elk. And there are always plenty of yotes howling like crazy all night long.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Nothing will stop a hungry bear!

Where we hunt there are lots of bears. You don't dare leave any meat on the ground. We have tried pepper. It may discourage flies, but has no effect on the bears. One guy that swore by the pepper method lost most of a bull to three bears after peppering it and leaving the meat near a creek while he went into town to find some horses. He returned the next afternoon with the horses to find what was left scattered and eaten.
We always hang meat in game bags out of reach of the bears and wolves if we have to leave some. We strive to get it out as quick as possible, and have pulled many all nighters to get meat out quickly.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
5MilesBack, might be hit or miss in your area. Example of 08 elk season here. My brother made a nice clean shot at 23 ranged yards on a cow and somehow after 4 hours of looking, lost her trail. She took off with the rest of the herd at the shot and he waited 30 mins. just to let nature do it's thing. It got dark on us and he went to work and I headed back the next morning to continue the search. I found her 20 minutes into the search from the night before and coyotes had already gotten to her hind end and innerds. Perfect pass-thru double lung and I gps'd her back to the shot sight at 470+ yards. In 4 days she was hide and bones, coyotes ate her up. That's why we don't leave anything overnight if we can help it.

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
In 28 years, of all the elk I have left overnight, I haven't had a single case of coyotes or bears messing with my elk. And there are always plenty of yotes howling like crazy all night long.

I've never had any problems with yotes messing with meat either, just said I dont think pepper would discourage them :wink:

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
In that case, I've never had coyotes mess with any of my deer or elk meat either because I never leave it. That won't answer the original question about coyotes and pepper, never peppered any and filmed it to see if coyotes would get it. Pack it all out or make other plans-hung from trees, radio a buddy, bone it out, whatever.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I get mine out as quickly as possible. One time I was by myself covered in blood in the middle of the night on the side of a mountain quartering up a bull I just arrowed. It was very dark that night and all I had was a flashlight with me that was starting to die. There was a noise off in the dark at a distance and I stopped what I was doing instantly. Knife in one hand and a crappy flashlight in the other. I froze with my senses at full alert. It was headed my way fast. Just when I could make out some sort of blur several feet away it kept going past me down the mountain. My heart was in my throat! I don't know to this day if it was a bear or mountain lion trying to scare me off of the kill but, needless to say after that I covered it up in a tarp and came back the next day. I still get chills thinking about it.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
What state do you live in that allows night hunting for elk? :wink: :chortle:

I get mine out as quickly as possible. One time I was by myself covered in blood in the middle of the night on the side of a mountain quartering up a bull I just arrowed. It was very dark that night and all I had was a flashlight with me that was starting to die. There was a noise off in the dark at a distance and I stopped what I was doing instantly. Knife in one hand and a crappy flashlight in the other. I froze with my senses at full alert. It was headed my way fast. Just when I could make out some sort of blur several feet away it kept going past me down the mountain. My heart was in my throat! I don't know to this day if it was a bear or mountain lion trying to scare me off of the kill but, needless to say after that I covered it up in a tarp and came back the next day. I still get chills thinking about it.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I too have never had trouble with critters getting the meat after I've dressed an animal. I have seen where others have lost meat they didn't put there hands on before the critters got to it. I've heard of the pepper trick but have not employed it yet. I carry good quality game bags that will keep flies off. Plus the meat needs to be cooled in a locker ASAP so if it takes all night and then some to get it out, that's what I do. In the late season, flies aren't such a problem and the weather is cooler so I've left allot of meat out there over night with no worries. I've had more trouble with yellowjackets than anything else. They eat meat and they sting. I wonder if pepper would deter these pests.

·
Independent Joe
5,224 Posts
I carry pepper too. Not for fly's so much as the yellow jackets. They usually get to the kill before I do and start taking their share. Pepper definately keeps them away.

·
Registered
795 Posts
What state do you live in that allows night hunting for elk? :wink: :chortle:
You got me!:mg:
I harvested the elk during hunting hours. I arrowed him just before last light and by the time I finished taking pics and hiking back to the truck for my butchering supplies, tarps and so forth it got dark.:eek:
Since then I always keep a lantern with extra propane bottles in my butchering box.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts