Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been in WV about all my life and killed a bunch a white tails.
Our average deer is 150 pounds or less.
How in the world do you guys get an elk out of the woods ? Don't they go around 1,200 pounds?

Always wondered.

·
Registered
827 Posts
most the elk we have killed have been 600-900 pounds and to answer you r question friends and family. get as much help as you can and bone it out is the best way in my opinion. Unless you have horses then you don't need as much help. I muzzle loader hunted for years and it was a lot easier to deal with them in the winter, the heat really hurts in the summer. just no way to get it do quick.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
I read on here somewhere that the largest bulls go almost 600 lbs carcass weight, this was a study done by a university in Wyoming. DCGameSlayer is right for weight on the hoof, up to 1000 lbs. I've heard Roosevelt's can get really big but I'm not sure on the numbers.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Yes I was referring to Roosevelt elk they are larger then rocky mountain body wise only but not a whole lot imo :darkbeer:

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
bone it out and pack it out or quarter it and put it on a horse usually takes about 2 horses to get one out in one trip or you can make more trips if your of a mind to.

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
I always quartered up, went back home and got kids, went back and packed out. I always hunted not too far from our house and done well. Have also went back and got our horses but most of the time it was too rugged to get them in there.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
After being lucky enough to take 36 elk in my life I’m only 48. I usually bone them out. You’ll cut the weight down quite a lot 20-30%. Get a good pack frame and #1 one get in decent shape and it won’t be a problem. I’ve only had one elk that I got out whole but we only had to drag it 300yds it was a 5x6. We loaded it in the back of my Toyota truck. Quite a site!

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
After being lucky enough to take 36 elk in my life I’m only 48. I usually bone them out.
That's a real GOOD score!!!

I've only made one guided hunt for elk, and the rest of the time I've hunted by myself, or with a friend. Boning them out is really the only way for me to get 'em out.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Pack frame, a good back, and a pair of boots.

·
Registered
795 Posts
One of the most important things about packing elk out is being prepared. Don't wait until the elk is on the ground to get your act together. Tarps, knifes, rope, game bags and so on should all be ready and waiting before you enter the woods.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Trust me it's allot of work. My son and i just packed out a moose in Alaska and it took us 2.5 days. if you don't have horses or 4 wheelers than you debone everything and pack it out with pack frames. I have also packed out 2 Roosevelt bulls as well and 3 rocky mtn. on my back. And 2 Caribou

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,335 Posts
I always hear about these 1200lb elk, but I've never been able to find any of them. If you shoot a decent bull figure about 30-35% of live weight for just meat. You don't have to pack the entire animal out, debone it, bag it, and use a frame pack to haul it all out. It might take a few trips by yourself, but with even one buddy shouldn't be more than two trips total.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Learn to debone. Don't think about how you are going to get it out of the woods after it's down and you realize how big the thing is. Deboning and bagging the meat is simple once you learn how.

Unless it's very close to being accessible, I always leave the cape. To me it's just not worth making a whole 'nother trip just for the cape. Buy one if you really want to get the horns mounted.

With my wife and I we have packed out bulls 3.5 miles in two trips. Be in shape and learn to backpack 'em out. As an aside, my biggest bull weighed 595lbs of hanging meat, no head, hide or hooves. It was also the only bull I've ever been able to load into a pickup whole. Took 5 of us to load it.

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
Man I'd love to have horses!! So far every elk I have taken has been packed out in quarters on our backs. Most of the time I have had help, but I have done a few elk on my own as well... I am pretty sure I need to learn to debone them:embara:

·
Banned
7,286 Posts
I always hunt with a Texan or a Front Ranger since they are in above average shape and can haul an elk out no problemo!

Seriously though, I want to just shoot one, then I will worry about getting it out! :embara:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Game carts can be a big help

Especially if you're behind a gate on a Forest Service road closure or out on some kind of a trail system.
Some guys use a chainsaw winch to drag elk up out of some awful places.
I had a nice farmer go get my elk once with a tractor. Picked it up with the bucket and dropped it in the back up my pickup.

Otherwise, get one of these: Bull Pack
http://www.bullpacs.com/

1 - 20 of 28 Posts