Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever venture out by themself. My hunt starts in 8 days and nobody on my tag can go out until the third day of the hunt. I want to go for the first day and I think everything would be ok, but there is always something that can happen. I would hate to break a leg out there and have nobody around. Also, it is a lot easier to call in a bull when your partner is calling some distance behind you. Shooting an elk and having no help packing it out can be a back breaker, but being in the mountains alone for 2 days can also have it's advantages. Lots of time to sit and think about the world and enjoy being away from civilization. As of right now, I am going out alone, but it could be because I'm young and haven't thought this through. I guess I'm hoping nobody here tells me about the time they decided to do this and almost died, and would never recommend it. Or is there something you do, like leave a description of where you are going each day in case you don't return to camp, that way you can be located in an emergency. What do you guys think?

·
BIG FRANK....
8,401 Posts
I've hunted alone lots of times in my days, but I prefer not to now that I'm older......Remember to be smart if you go out by yourself....And also if you do get an ELK....It's going to be hell by yourself....I would not hunt to far back in, until your Buddies show up..Just make sure you take Precautions, and do leave a description of where your going ,and take your cell phone... .....Good Luck......:thumbs_up:darkbeer:...

·
Registered Elker
7,715 Posts
Killed 7 of my 8 elk solo. However, I will say I have always had help packing them out though. The pack out in my opinion is the biggest drawback if you truly had to do it yourself.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,336 Posts
it could be because I'm young and haven't thought this through. I guess I'm hoping nobody here tells me about the time they decided to do this and almost died, and would never recommend it.
Always a possibility with elk hunting, just stay close to your comfort zone.

I almost always hunt alone for the most part, but I pretty much grew up in the outdoors trekking out on my own. Sure, bad things can happen.......but I've lost more blood in the last day at home than I normally do in a season up hunting. I love hunting alone, but prefer to have someone else in camp.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I've done it a few times but don't like to unless I've no other option, besides not going. Just so happens this year I'll be on my own... so I'll be leaving for Co on the 15th and will have 8 days to tag out solo.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I killed my only bull on my own, and the pack out was a tough. I'd be willing to do it again but will get a SPOT satellite messenger before I do.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Leave for Colo. on my first Elk hunt, the 7th. Solo for 10+ days. 53 years old, but have been preparing for about 5 months. A little scary but excitement far out weighs it. If you are in good shape, and prepared, I would go and take it easy at first and see how you feel. I might feel different after the first few days.......

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I've hunted by myself though I have not had to pack anything out yet. Here are some mandatory items that I do or bring with me.

1. Bic Lighter
2. Emergency Blanket
3. Water and water purifying tablets
4. Flashlight
5. Gun
6. Give explicit directions on where I will be hunting and when I'll be back. If your buddies will be meeting you there in 3 days, I would suggest you give them directions or GPS coords to your hunting area. Make a plan, I would suggest that you tell them you will leave them a note at camp on the third day at camp. That way, by the time they get there, you can still hunt that third day in the morning and they will know you are okay. No note, they start looking for you.
7. If the terrain or weather looks bad, don't risk it. Mother Nature can be a cruel b*tch. Especially here in the mountains. I thought Az had remote areas until I moved up here. It's very easy to get into some back country here where you will not see anybody.
8. Whistle
9. GPS, Map, and Compass.
10. Food

I'm not trying to scare you. I'm an old Boy Scout and firmly believe in the Be Prepared motto. In the past I've gone on a simple "lets see where this elk trail will take me hike" and before I know it, I'm 10-15 miles away from my truck. Just use common sense and you'll be fine. Also, take your time, remember landmarks and stop and look all around you. Have fun and be careful.

P.S., here's a link to a website that has some pretty good ideas on wilderness survival. If you click to his main page, read his article on Mother Nature. It's humorous but a good read.

http://www.m4040.com/Survival/Primer.htm

·
Wishing it was elk season
796 Posts
I hunt elk alone alot. have killed one by myself and it is torture getting it out, but it was cold so I was able to take my time. I always slow down just a bit in everything I do. walk slower so as to keep better footing, and when field dressing, I go very slow as to not slip and cut myself. I enjoy being out by self alot. Nice and peaceful, but at times it can get lonely.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Always a possibility with elk hunting, just stay close to your comfort zone.

I almost always hunt alone for the most part, but I pretty much grew up in the outdoors trekking out on my own. Sure, bad things can happen.......but I've lost more blood in the last day at home than I normally do in a season up hunting. I love hunting alone, but prefer to have someone else in camp.
Same here. Even when I'm hunting with someone, we usually go our separate ways during the actual hunting. As long as you have cell service, you should be OK.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I hunt alone most of the time. I enjoy the solitude. It is harder hunting alone but very doable. Just take your time and pack emergency gear just in case you get caught out in the woods. Rain gear is also a good item to have.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have been hunting alone this hole first week of season in Oregon. I go in about 6 to 10 miles, and hike around all day. Always be mindful of what you are doing like where you are stepping or jumping onto cuz you never know that one slip up on that log or rock could cost you. I haven't had any problems, and I don't think I will have any. Just remeber take a GPS and leave a detailed discription of where you are going with a friend or your wife heaven forbid something happens to you. If you can afford a sat phone, get one they can be a lifesaver.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Have been many times by myself and would do it again.

·
hunter/gatherer
308 Posts
I didn't catch what state you were hunting in.
The biggest deal is having a time to check in with someone who knows how to get where you're going.
Cell service is non existent where I look for elk.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the replies guys. I do not get service out there with T-mobile. Verizon does get service out there (I should switch). Looks like I'll just have to leave a note daily at camp, and be real careful.

·
Till I drop...
459 Posts
I make sure to take rope, game bags and a pack board on my way in. You can always drop it, however it will save your legs the extra trip out of the woods to retrieve it later. I filled yesterday morning SOLO I shot him at 6:01am and arrived home at 11:23pm... my legs are still screaming at me. One hard day of work for an entire year of meat... sounds like a good trade to me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm 63 and have hunted solo most of the time during my long hunting career. Last two years were solo backpacking for elk and I will do it again in two weeks. To me, being alone in the wilderness enhances the experience tenfold. I make it a point to hike more carefully and avoid risky situations. I carry a SPOT and check in with family every two days. More for their peace of mind than mine. A good GPS also helps, but no cell service in the area I hunt without climbing up on a peak. Last year I made prior arrangements with an outfitter and when I got my elk down, I climbed the peak for cell service, made a call, and the outfitter came in the next day with mules and a horse to do the dirty work. Worth every penny.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts