Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going on an elk hunt this Sept in these areas to include Yogo peak.

I am staying in the Dry Wolf Cabin in that area.

I am looking for any info of that area for elk or mule deer. I would appreciate anything from anyone with any knowledge of that area or other areas of interest in the Little Belts.

This will be my first time out elk hunting. I'm not looking for your honey hole just some advice and direction.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Never hunted the little belt but a buddy told me last year it had a lot of people running around on it this year maybe bye yourself

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have only saw info from a couple years ago in regards to the Little Belts. I wiol be checking out the Big belts too. I plan on putting on the miles to to go where they are.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
20,875 Posts
I hunted all 3 of those areas you mentioned last year. We had a hard time getting into elk in there. We ended up backpacking in to a spot 6 miles as the crow flies from the TH...and killed a bull another mile past that.....

We are going somewhere else next year....though there must be a couple good pockets in those ranges somewhere.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hunted all 3 of those areas you mentioned last year. We had a hard time getting into elk in there. We ended up backpacking in to a spot 6 miles as the crow flies from the TH...and killed a bull another mile past that.....

We are going somewhere else next year....though there must be a couple good pockets in those ranges somewhere.
Did you see much for mule deer in there.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Were you bow hunting or rifle hunting? Thanks for your help.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
20,875 Posts
Were you bow hunting or rifle hunting? Thanks for your help.
Bowhunting....the areas you are talking about have a huge variation in terrain. Yes we saw a boatload of deer in there but they were mostly on the private ground in the alfalfa fields. Drive past those early or late and they look like ants in there. If you are deer hunting in might be worth looking at some of the private walk in ground.

We were hunting mostly timbered areas...and in there didn't see many deer...a few....and we never saw what I would call a trophy mulie...saw some good whitetail bucks...again on the alfalfa.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Those areas have decent deer and elk populations, but it's so close to Great Falls, that it all gets hunted pretty hard. You need to plan on hiking at least 1-3 miles from any road or well traveled trail to really get into them, as most of the "hunters" in that area never leave their trucks. Most of the deer are on private as mentioned, especially the bigger ones. I used to hunt around there years ago and might spend some time there this year, probably on the other side of the mountains though. I live 90 miles north of Great Falls and would be happy to help if you get something down. PM me and I'll send you my number. What dates are you looking at coming over?

·
Ice Cold
11,786 Posts
I have a camera within 10 miles of the cabin. I don't plan on hunting there but I'll check it in a few weeks. If it's any good this year I'll share where it's at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Those areas have decent deer and elk populations, but it's so close to Great Falls, that it all gets hunted pretty hard. You need to plan on hiking at least 1-3 miles from any road or well traveled trail to really get into them, as most of the "hunters" in that area never leave their trucks. Most of the deer are on private as mentioned, especially the bigger ones. I used to hunt around there years ago and might spend some time there this year, probably on the other side of the mountains though. I live 90 miles north of Great Falls and would be happy to help if you get something down. PM me and I'll send you my number. What dates are you looking at coming over?
I'm coming this weekend for 17 days of hunting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I spend most of my archery hunting time NW of Hughesville. I have gotten into the elk this past weekend but they would not respond to calls. I know the Little Belts very well as I grew up just outside of Raynesford. If you have any questions let me know. This picture is from this year.

Attachments

·
Corripe Cervisiam
20,875 Posts
I spend most of my archery hunting time NW of Hughesville. I have gotten into the elk this past weekend but they would not respond to calls. I know the Little Belts very well as I grew up just outside of Raynesford. If you have any questions let me know. This picture is from this year.
Iver,
Curious, what do you think about the castles and the Crazies?
Hows the smoke in those areas ...and the little belts now after the snow?

We are headed that way to meet my buddies cousin that lives in Great falls on Sat. Not sure where we will be hunting....he wants to go back into the little belts [horses] or into the crazies.

BTW, if ever I can return the favor on any other states like Nev, Colo, Idaho, Kansas, Arizona or new Mexico...give me a shout
Bruce

1 - 19 of 19 Posts