Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Embrace the suck!
7,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking back to my September 2008 elk hunt, trying to figure out how to be better prepared and more comfortable this fall. The most uncomfortable clothing I had in 2008 was my cheap pair of boots. I constantly had swamp foot and developed huge blisters on my heels. This summer I bought some Meindls along with several pairs of good hiking socks and coolmax liner socks so I should be covered there. My second most uncomfortable clothing was my underwear. I normally wear boxers or boxer briefs because the old lady likes the way they look. Plus they provide good comfort and freedom for the boys, but not nearly enough support for rigorous activity, i.e. climbing up and down steep faces while carrying 50 lbs. of gear or meat and sweating profusely. Without getting too descriptive, in 2008 I got a serious rash and chafing from my coin purse swinging back and forth and rubbing my inner thighs. It got pretty painful. So this year I'm looking for something to cut down on the manly friction and provide a little more support. I'm going to invest in some briefs for hunting in and I'm looking for advice or suggestions on which brand/style. Thanks dudes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think under armour undies would fit the bill! They are compression fit like their base layers and do a good job of transporting moisture away from your skin. The down side is that the ones like I have, don't have a fly! They are available in a couple of different lengths also.

Ken

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Have you tried duct tape?

Unpadded cycling shorts.

Personally unless I'm riding,I prefer the boys breathing verses being crammed into a tight package!

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,401 Posts
Just make sure they aren't made out of cotton and you'll be fine.;)

·
Registered
11,473 Posts
Get away from cotton....that's what I've been told by one of my elk hunting mentors.

And be sure to take some Cortizone ointment with you. I don't go anywhere without that stuff. It will heal the chaffing overnight, and prevent it during the day. It's truly amazing stuff. Just stick a tube in your pack.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Their is a reason for wearing tight briefs vs boxers. and they make thigh length briefs which work good at preventing thigh chafing.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,401 Posts
So cotton doesn't breath or wick moisture?
Cotton absorbs moisture. It gets wet, stays wet, and is very uncomfortable. Same reason you wear base layers......to keep the sweat away from your skin. I wear base layers even if it's 100 degrees out. All the synthetic poly materials will work fine as well as merino wool.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I use UA undeies. I got them when I was in the Army and wear them whenever I need to move and groove. I too wear boxers and know this isnt a good choice for elk hunting. Last year in my rush to get out the door I forgot a bag that had these undies and my good socks. Well I didnt end up to bad. No rash or blistered coin purse. But it was uncomfortable swinging around and rubbing on the tops of my boots.:lie:

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
Under armor boxerjock underwear. End of story. I suggest getting one pair of the new "O" series in both the 6" & 9" lengths. I've gone to all 6" ones for daily wear, and use the 9" for working out and winter hunting. My butt never sweats anymore.... or it at least feels like it. The can be soaking wet and will dry out in 30 min. They cost $20 each, so they ain't cheap... but they last forever.

Za

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Under Armour is overpriced synthetic clothing - if you want/need to pay for the UA brand then waste your money. Otherwise, read labels and save your money for the same performance but at a much better value.

UA didn't invent "performance" clothing, they just branded it... namely via their relationship with football, and the NFL.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
"Under Armour is overpriced synthetic clothing - if you want/need to pay for the UA brand then waste your money. Otherwise, read labels and save your money for the same performance but at a much better value. "

Where is a good place to buy a brand aside from UA? I don't want to have to spend $20 a pop on them if I don't have to. I found Bass Pro has enduraskin brand for 9.94 a pair right now but by the time I add shipping it's the same price....does Target, or Wal-Mart or any place carry a poly brief for cheaper?

1 - 20 of 112 Posts