Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haha...now that I have your attention! :wink:

For the last two years, I have been using a Carter Target 3+ for both target and hunting. I should note, that I have yet to take an animal using this release.

Now, this is the release that I shoot most accuratly! Yesterday, I busted two nocks at 30 yards and the wind was howling!

Now, this is my dilemma (among other things! :chortle:)

I dont know how well this release will work for elk hunting. True, I used it last year, but was never able to get a shot off at an elk. Normally, I keep it hooked to my string, ready to go.

However, it likes to fall off once in a while. That is worry #1.

Worry #2 is I trigger the release using back tension, not my thumb. I can "dump" the shot and trigger it with my thumb, but, it is nowhere near as accurate as when I execute properly.

Sorry #3 is when I hold my shot for a minute or more, I cant trigger the shot using back tension. Dont ask me how, or why, but that is just how it is. I think it has to do with my back muscles relaxing during the hold, resulting in my arm not staying in the ideal position.

Worry #4 is when I hold for a while, the bow (due to my relaxing for the shot) can pull me out of the valley and back into the draw cycle, triggering the release and the shot prematurly. This results in the shot being way off, as anyone who has had this happen will know.

Now, I have a Carter 2 shot, and I am nowhere near as accurate with that release, but, I dont have to worry about dropping it, I dont have to worry about dumping the shot, dont have to worry about being pulled out of the valley, and dont have to worry about holding the shot for too long.

So, I cant decide. Do I go with the more accurate release that isn't as ideal for hunting situations.

OR

Do I start practicing with the Carter 2 shot and get used to shooting an index style release?

Any and all advice much appreciated! :)

·
Smilin' Bob
25,076 Posts
Set your 2-shot up with a heavy enough trigger that you're comfortable wrapping your finger around it before pulling. Don't you dare squeeze the trigger. :mad: Soon you'll get the hang of index-trigger back tension. It'll end up feeling just like your T3 shots.

And when needed, you can still punch the trigger for that 5-yard crossing shot on a walking bull.:wink:

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you believe that the Carter 2 shot is the best option then! Thanks Bob...I was looking forward to your response.

One question though...

I have the trigger set heavy and tried using back tension but could not, for the life of me, get the thing to fire quickly. It took at least 10-20 seconds to "squeeze" the shot off with back tension. Any advice on how to re-condition my muscles and brain to use back tension on a index release?

Thanks for the advice...I really appreciate it! :)

Set your 2-shot up with a heavy enough trigger that you're comfortable wrapping your finger around it before pulling. Don't you dare squeeze the trigger. :mad: Soon you'll get the hang of index-trigger back tension. It'll end up feeling just like your T3 shots.

And when needed, you can still punch the trigger for that 5-yard crossing shot on a walking bull.:wink:

·
Smilin' Bob
25,076 Posts
1) Just slapping on a different release will often (most times) give you a different anchor...when your anchor changes so does your draw length. Might be part of the problem getting it to go off.

Lots of stuff to play with. Trigger tension, length of pull on the release, loop length, etc.

2) Don't know if its the best option, but it is a good one. You should learn to shoot it well before you can make an honest opinion about it.

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The DL issue is one I am going to play with this weekend...my DL is set at 27"...guess I will have to try a 26.5" cam. There goes another 10 fps! :eek:
I do think the draw is too long for the index release...I can feel it in the back muscles.

1) Just slapping on a different release will often (most times) give you a different anchor...when your anchor changes so does your draw length. Might be part of the problem getting it to go off.

Lots of stuff to play with. Trigger tension, length of pull on the release, loop length, etc.

2) Don't know if its the best option, but it is a good one. You should learn to shoot it well before you can make an honest opinion about it.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
try shortening your loop, it will put your hand position in a different place and you might not have to sacrafice the 10fps with another mod. It might work for ya!!

·
aka former "treeslayer"
7,533 Posts
Glad to see your coming to your senses!

I will be hunting with a 2 shot this year, good release even though it is a little big. I have found few that compare out of the 8-10 that I have tried out.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Carter

Hey Campo,
I tried hunting with my target (Carter) for a while. I experienced some of the same problems you mentioned in awkward shooting positions. In retrospect, the release caused me to get busted on three occasions. It came off my loop while trying to get in shooting position only ten yards from a real good six point bull. Another time, I was at full draw on a 6x7 bull and had to swing through some cover to a different position causing my hand to twist against my face and somehow it went off. The worst one by far though, is the time I spent almost three hours belly crawling up on a huge muley and the little click setting the release spooked the bedded buck. I went back to using my wrist release for hunting. It seems to be far more reliable for bad positions and stalking. It may not be quite as accurate, but in allot of hunting situations you end up punching the release anyway, instead of being able to execute good form.
I just thought I would throw this out there for you.
Thanks,
D. Lane

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
ok, you sucked me in with the title.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I hunt and shoot targets with my Ember 1. It's thumb activated release and if you have to dump it, it's still accurate. I made a lanyard and never have to worry about it coming off when hunting. You don't have to shorten your draw length either to shoot it. It's made specially for short draw archers and you can actually shoot about a 1/2inch longer draw. I shoot it with the three finger extentsion.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I'll go the other way! Campo, me thinks ya should stick with the Carter T3+. With all the sobb stories from last year, we should see a lot more this fall. Cant ya hear it now! Lost my release/could'nt get the damn thing to go off/had a premature release from holding too long! :wink:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.