Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to elk hunt in New mexico for the first time ever and am looking for any info I can get. Should be in the Angel Fire area of the state. I know the air is thin so that will be tough alone. Looking for average temps and any other great tips for a first time elk hunter, will go trying for a cow.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ttt

·
Registered
827 Posts
I don't know about were you are going but for elk I use good optics and keep the wind in your favor is the most important . noise does not really seem to bother the elk much here in Oregon the make a lot of noise themselves do not know about NM. as for your preparations I would set a work out program and get in the best shape ya can and practice shooting out to around 50-60 yards when breathing hard even if you don't plan to shoot that far, good luck on your hunt.

p.s. make sure you bring some chap lip medicine it will make trip much more enjoyable

·
WapitiBob
6,935 Posts
unit 49 LO tag I'm guessing?
I also assume you aren't hunting alone but with a guide of some sort?

Your late fall Deer hunting stuff will be fine. Add a decent coat and gloves for sitting around. Your Deer binos will be fine too.
I used to guide NW of there on the East side of Brazos Peak for USO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Learn your GPS.

It can be cold in early mornings,almost cold enough for frost.There will be dew on everything in the morning.

Also, it might rain every day although not enough to interfere with hunting too much.If your sleeping in a tent remember the rain and plan for it.

Roads can get muddy so a tow rope and shovel are good to have.

Two way radios are real handy.

We generally foot hunt mornings and blind or stand hunt evenings.

Sometimes the Elk will not come in to a tank until after dark but they have a "staging area" two or three hundred yards from the tank where they will wait for the hunters to leave before comming down.

If you can find that area and set up a blind you can get shots, sometimes every day since new Elk move in constantly.

Although, we generally only hunt evenings and mornings I can't tell you how many times we have arrived at a tank at 3:30 to set up for the evening hunt only to find Elk on it.

The longer you can stay on a stand or in the woods the better your odds of getting an Elk.

There have been times where we hunted a tank for 5 days and no Elk came in and the next day a herd of 40 with two or three bulls will come in and all of them will be in the tank splashing around.

I've told many that walking around and climbing mountains is fine but when you are tired of that and want to get an Elk get in your blind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts