Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going on an elk and mule deer hunting trip for the first time this fall and I was told to call a local biologist and ask for info about the area. And I was wondering I'm supposed to ask? Should I ask about deer and elk numbers, preffered food sources? ANy input is appreciated :teeth:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Wish i could help more , if it where me i would start with an 07 harvest report of the area your planning on hunting.

·
Registered
347 Posts
heres a few id ask. wet or drought conditions the last two years. how has the winter affected the herd.any fires recently.if you have a specific spot u plan to hunt you can ask about animal density and hunter density-asking that in a larger general area might not get a response,be specific.ask about food sources that are prefered and availible. any logging in the area current or past.any pine beetle infestations,if youll be in wolf country have they impacted the herds .depending on the bioligist they may point you to a certain area if you dont already have one.The bio i talked to a few years ago was a hunter and i asked him if he had to pick 1 spot other than his honey holes to hunt where would he go .I was in elk first day never setting foot in area before.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Wolves

If it were me I would ask where the wolves have been staying. I would ask if the wolf tags are available yet?
Ok I ranted for a few, I would look at harvest reports to determin a pattern for the past few years. Incase you were looking at Idaho I have noticed a reduction in the amount of animal I see during the season over the past 4 years.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Tried that last year.

I talked to a few bioligist about a muley hunt i went on this past november. I can not say enough about how much help they were. I was blown away! Even down to directions of which roads to start on,were the best quality of deer had been seen just goes on. I would shake the mans hand if it was'nt 9 hours away.:smile: Anyway i really didn't ask alot of ?? they just knew what i needed to know.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the help you guys. I wouldn't have known what to ask.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts