Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might have a chance to go on an elk hunt. Here is my current set up for deer. Is this ok or should I go with something heavier? I will change if I need to, but to what? What does everyone suggest?

thanks

70lb bowtech liberty, 28" draw, set at 65lbs
carbon express 200 26" arrow
nap 100gr Nitron 3 blade or slick trick 100 grain 4 blade
326 grain total weight
270 fps

·
Registered Elker
7,715 Posts
The arrow seems really light but should have enough to do just fine.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Pick an arrow that will weigh out to around 400grains complete with bradhead. And then pick a good cut on impact broadhead and then you'll be set.

·
Registered
103 Posts
That is pretty light for an elk arrow. Depending on where you hunt there is a certain weight limit. 400 grains is the minimum in Idaho, check where you are headed. Better to shoot a heavy arrow than watch a critter run off with an arrow sticking out of a shoulder blade. Better yet, hit where you are aiming.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I think your broadhead is fine, but the arrow is way too light. I used a 420 gr arrow with a 100 gr Slick Trick from my 55 lb bow last fall to kill my elk.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Get your arrow weight up and get your arrow flying good with your broadheads. A lot of energy is lost on contact if you don't have your arrow flying good. Then its about location, location location....hit em right!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Uh?? Heavier arrow??

I posted this yesterday and got "you're set up is fine", "you have plenty of KE", etc. As you can see, my estimated arrow weight is 349.9 grains. I'll measure tonight to make sure.

"58 pound draw, 26 inch draw, 25.5 inch arrows, Axis 500, 100 g G5 Montec. Est. speed is 268 ft/sec. Arrow weight is 349.9 grains. I used Bow Jackson's site to figure 56 pounds of KE. "

·
Registered
598 Posts
I think you would be ok with that setup myself.
You may not get a pass through on a elk but I think you will be fine with good shot placement
But like was said above it depends on where your hunting, some states have a min wight for arrows

Elk

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for the responses. Can anyone suggest a heavier arrow setup? I will us a 27" arrow and want to stay with carbon express if possible. Since that will make my FOC go down should I use a heavier broadhead?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Carbon Express makes lots of arrows. I would assume (big assumption) that the size indicates you are using a 3D or target arrow. Try switching to their Terminators or any other arrow with more grains per inch.

For example, my Axis 500's weigh 8.1 grains per inch.

·
Registered
129 Posts
cx hunter 300 at 29" 4" fletch and 100 grain head will weigh a little over 400 grains.
mine are 29.25 with 2" blazer vanes and 100 grain head weigh 408

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Id go for an arrow in the 420+ range :thumbs_up
Those Max 4's are a heavy very well made hunting shaft, that will add more weight. Aslo if you up the broadhead weight or maybe use wraps ;)
My arrows for elk are 470 grains :thumbs_up

1 - 14 of 14 Posts