Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My elk season started last Monday and since I'm a self employed cabinetmaker I can slip out and hunt for a few hours in the morning. Monday I got out, they were bugling, and I was into 2 different herds of elk but not wanting to spook any I didn't pursue them and just went for a long hike. Wednesday morning again I got into em. 6 cows and a spike at 100 yds across a meadow so I plopped down and watched. The spike fed to within 27 yds broadside. Woulda been good eating that one. After they moved off I went over to a little ground blind I have by a wallow and did a bugle to see if I could get a response. No bugle but had a silent 6x6 come in to the wallow at 30 yds. Today again more cows that I did not pursue and then later while hiding under a big spruce had a nice healthy 5 point again come in silently to me about 15 minutes after I bugled. He never knew I was there and stopped broadside at 16 yds! I was at full draw and just had to touch the release but I let down instead and let him walk. I'm not ready to kill anything yet as I'm having such a good time hunting. Last year I shot my bull on my fourth day out and it made for a long October with no elk hunting fun. I have a long season still and unlike you guys who get to hunt multiple deer I only get one elk a year so have to make it last. Also, knowing I got my elk early last year everyone was calling me to help hump theirs out of the hills. Good hunting to all.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Nice opener redtop!

My season has been much more difficult down here in Utah. I've had a few elk in close but not much for shots.

Saw 6 branch antlered bulls the first weekend way up high in the Uintas with one small 6x6. Saw a spike and a few cows the middle of the week when I went out again.

Then I went out for another 3 days in another side of the range and ran into the second largest 6x6 I've ever seen. He was 48 yards, but saw me move and trotted off.

On my way back down from that trip I heard a bull screaming his head off about 1/4 mile from my truck at the trail head. I got to within 25 or 30 yards. He moved behind some trees and I drew. He was just about to step out into the open when I felt the down canyon breeze starting on the back of my neck. He trotted off about 100 yards and started screaming his head off again.

I left him for the next day and when I got back in there there were people nearby with dogs barking, shooting pistols and basically blowing any chance at him. Needless to say he was hiding out like Osama bin laden at that point.

Here are a few pics.

If anyone else has any cool pics, I'd like to see them. Pics are about all I've been able to get the last bunch of years. LOL!

Cheers,
Pete

·
DefiantShooter
10,955 Posts
Pic's!

Nice job on the stories guys and great pic's Pete!!! Keep us posted on the hunts....No Elk hunts for me this year, but I did well in Nevada.....'Ike'

Attachments

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really nice mulie Ike! You must have a story for us... I was out again this weekend. This morning at first light I found myself looking at a really good big heavy 6 point as he ran off to 100 yds, stopped and turned him with my cow call but couldn't coax him closer than 60 yds. oh well. Then later in the morning I laughed as I watched 3 spikes trying to figure out which way to go when I started cow calling to them. It was like watching the 3 stooges bumping into each other. Lastly I had a raghorn come in to my bugle but the fickle breeze sent him a message to leave. Good day though just seeing them all. Hope we get some more stories on this thread.

·
DefiantShooter
10,955 Posts
Mule Deer!

RedTop,

I do have a story, just didn't want it to get in the the way of you guys chasing Elk....Like I said no Elk tag for me this year, but the Deer seasons looking good....

I was actually ready to spend 7 days in Nevada and was done on the second full day of hunting....They were having record highs the week I was there and the thunder storms they 'were' getting in the afternoons had left. I was in the Snake Mtns, North of Wells. by the second day I'd only seen 25 deer or so and only 5 Bucks. Plan 'B' would have been put into effect if I had one!

The second morning I decided to look a little lower and catch the deer coming out of the flats. There was also some nice looking rim-rock lower. I was in elevations ranging from 7500-9500'...With it being so hot and catching the last half of the moon phase, just wasn't seeing much and that was being out all day...At about 0600 I spotted my Buck with three others. Lucky me because they decided to bed down at 0630 about half way up a ridge, not even close to the rim-rock.

Watched until about 1130. Had the wind and they didn't seem to be going anywhere from their bedding area in the Mahagany. I had to backtrack around and up, to get above them and get a angle for a approach. They were bedded to watch all approachs, not just down. I did the one step and glass, move all the way in and got my shot at about 1400. I had just picked up the Bino's, when I caught my Buck shaking his head, still bedded. I had no sooner ranged the Mahagany he was under at 50 yards, when he stood up to stretch.....

He had no clue I was around and he was slightly quatered away. 'Picked a spot' and the arrow was away! Took him about the third rib in and quatered through him coming out behind the elbow on the off side. Made it about 50 yards maybe from the shot....He's a great Buck 24" and some change and really symmetrical.....

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Here's a killer.....

Here's my story from this last Friday evening.....

I got off work at 4:30 and rushed to my hunting spot 80 miles away. I was in camo and hunting by 6:10...I went directly to my little honey hole where I have gotten into some good bulls in the past, and just a lot of elk in general...Well I got there and nothing..I started down the ravine to my truck and made it about 100yds when I heard a bull bellow...and I cow called...he bellowed..and I cow called....This went on for about 20 minutes before I heard some movement through the brush about 100 yds in front of me....As I searched the edge of the timber in the fading light, I watched as a tan spot moved in and out of my vision....a lone cow...Suddenly a spike shows up at about 30 yrds and is walking directly to me like he's on a string.....As he traveled behind some brush, and took what I thought were going to be his final steps I drew....As he cleared the brush and stopped broadside at 20 yds I anchored and stared through my peep...except my peep over-rotated, and I couldn't see thorugh it!!!..As I stood there and struggled to turn my peep with my tongue, teech, chin..he stood there without a care in the world...I finally had to let down....He caught the last little bit of movement from my let down and trotted about ten yards further up the hill, and once again turned broadside and stood there...waiting...teasing...I fianlly got my peep turned, regained my composure from this and drew on him for the second time....anchored........and it was then my arrow proceeded to pop off of the string and land harmlessly at my feet....Then he spooked...big time.......I watched helplessly as he and about 40 other elk in a single file line run up the hill and stop at about 100 yds.....and to make things worse the bugling bull decided to come out of the timber to see what all the raucus was.....he was just a raghorn.....probably would have scored somewhere around 330"............:D ......Maybe next weekend..............PUG

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Pug, I'll have to practice trying to turn my peep with my tongue so if it happens I'll be able to handle it.
I was out again yesterday. A miserable day, cold rain turning to wet snow as I gained elevation. Finally around 10 AM soaked and shivering I threw in the towel and decided to head for home. Of course minutes after I strapped my bow on my pack two 5 point bulls came out in the open and started working toward me. A quick jump into a bush and I had my bow off the pack and ready to shoot. The smaller (of course) of the two bulls fed directly toward me. I crawled, literally, out of my bush and setup behind another but after 20 minutes of waiting in the wind and snow I was too cold to do anything but retreat. It's all good hunting. Quesss it's time to dig out all the warm clothes.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Scrape?

C3hammer,

If that second picture is of a scrape, I would NOT like to run into the elk that left that puddle of pee!!!:D

Just kidding. Great pictures, man am I envious!

·
Registered
498 Posts
September 15, 7:10p.m. A clear crisp night with a cold front just hours away.... Sitting just above a slide on top of the Pacific Crest Trail in Washington at about 6700ft.

Glassing a nice cow and a calf below feeding up towards me I began calling. On the 3rd cow call, a two note semi raspy bull bugled 400 yards to my right from the heavy timbered knob. Immediately I grunted at him and when I did a big ol' growler cut me of from about 800yards directly in front.

I cow called back with a bit of excitement (some whine) and looked left to see a cow at about 90yards and below me a bit. 3 minutes and two more high pitched bugles from me and a mature 5x5 stepped out at 100yards on my right and bugled.

Looking back to the left cow I noticed her turning and looking back behind her….Out stepped a small silent raghorn (4x5) with 2 more cows. In the mean time the big bull is screamin mad and coming straight in, fast. I bugled very aggressive, cutting him off growling, squealing, grunting ect. Then I used the estrus cries n whines with the cow calls fallowed by a tending grunt.

That was it!! Out he came at 125yards on a slow trot. Oh my gosh…a…huge 6x? (his right side may have been crowned a bit). I was up 125yards on the edge of sort of a milk bowl with all the Elk running to the bottom where there was lush flat vegetation, from right, left and center. It was like there was a street fight and the entire neighborhood came to watch.

The big ol’ bull circled the raghorn and cows glunking (tending grunts) "very loudly" and took a second to shred a big bush with his massive rack. I cried at him again with the cow call…..He turned, looked then growled as he pushed all the cows back down hill all while glunking, it was amazing to watch from a top side view.

As if he was getting the women and children behind him making sure I had no chance to harm or seduce one.....lol...he wanted everyone to know he was mad and in charge!

His body was huge and his rack dwarfed him. Im not very good at scoring but I would guess hes at least 340-360 maybe bigger! He was at least twice as wide as his body and his whale tails (the 5th and 6th pt) were very long reaching behind his rib cage easily. Each of his horns were polished white with thick, almost black bases. His #4’s were darn near 20” or more.

It was now almost 7:45 and was getting to dark. Two other bulls from the back started bugling and were coming on their way in. For a total of 5 bulls, 4 of witch were screamin mad. I thought I had stirred em up enough and decided to back out.

I learned so much from that hour and was so caught up in the moment…I will never forget that crisp September evening.

I will go back and take a few pics. Maybe if im lucky I can get some video too! :D

As of the 15th we have bugled in 15 seperate bulls. 4 on this night alone. This year has been Hyper Hot for Sure!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Elk Moments

Well 2003 started out with no out of state tags in all the draws that I can afford to put in for. Nevada, Arizona, Montana, Oregon.
When the letter came from my home state of Washington that I had received a raffle tag I was totally excited. You get a second ELK tag and get to keep your original tag. My 1st hunt started with a late night drive to the Washington Coast for a Roosevelt Elk. I slept a couple hours in the front seat of my truck. than got into an area I wanted to hunt just at light. It started good with the spotting of a cow and spike at about 80 yards. Than I heard cows sounding off around me. I let a bugle out and heard a bull answer right away at about 500 yards through a clear cut but already in the timber. 2 more bulls lit up and they all sounded pretty good so we talked back and forth for a short time than I decided to make a circle down wind and get in the timber and see what would talk. Here on the Coast of Washington the Timber can be extra thick and you can't here bulls at long distances you really need to get right in on them before you can here them.
My 1st move didn't work and the elk had gone a different way than I thought. With a lot of hustle and a bull that kept talking I was able to catch up and come in to a good area for calling. When I Bugled 4 bulls answerd and they were all within about 300 yards with one grunting and sounding like the best of the bunch I decided to close in on him. When I got in to what I estimated an 80 yard range I gave him a medium sounding bull with no grunts and he lit right up. I waited and listened as he started to slam a tree than he stopped and let out a great two noted sccreeeeaaaaaam with some bone chilling deep I'm gonna get you grunts.. Whoaaa!! Here I am By Myself!! 1 and 1/2 miles from the truck with a hot bull coming in and I had set my sights on a 300 class bull and this Bull sounded as though he could be the one, In Washington there have only been 14 Roosevelt Bulls taken with a bow that exceed 300 points.

Than he bugled and I cut him off with a I've had enough of you in your face bugle followed by some excited cow sounds. That did it he came on a steady uphill walk screaming he was badder than me and was going to prove it. As his antlers became visible he looked good and than he came into full view and he wasn't quite the bull I had been dreaming of. But he was to good to pass up.

as he walked from 45 yards to my right to 27 yards to my left I couldn't get a shot. There was some deadfall and Vine Maples that kept me from shooting. He screamed again and went right to a 12" wide fir tree and tore right into it for about 2 minutes seemed like forever. Than he would stop and look for the other bull. Than tear into that tree again and again yanking his head up to see if the other bull was coming.

I was able to sneak a little closer as he wailed on that tree. Now I'm about 24 yards and he stops turns around and starts walking away with no shot. So I give out a couple of soft cow sounds and that was enough to turn him and here he comes out of the Vine Maple and right into view at 20 yards Broadside.
I cow call as I draw and he freezes long enough to put the arrow right where it needs to go. WOW!! I had 2 day's on this trip and it's only 9:30 on opening morning and My 1st Hunt is done. WHOAAA Have you ever packed out a mature Huge bodied Roosey by Yourself in deep timber. Let me tell you. It can kill you. I was lucky enough to drive my truck within 1/2 mile for the pack out but those back Quarters weighed about 140 lbs each. I had that elk out to the truck by 5:00 and on my way home.
As i got to the truck with the head at 12:00 noon out stepped a bull 100 yards from the truck that I estimate would go about 315 P&Y points. what a hunt. My bull green scores at 284 P&Y inches and should place him in the top 20 Roosevelt bulls with a bow in the state of Washington. . After all that typing I'm going to condense my next Bull a Rocky. just the stats. Hes a mature Bull A 7X7 that I shot at 37 yards with a pinwheel shot after about a 30 minute exchange and grosses aprox 344 P&Y inches with a tape measure by me as all my buddies are still out hunting in Eastern Wash I stayed west and am not positive of the score but hes a Masher and will be a top 10 Bull ever killed in the State. I would say that it's been one heck of a season so far. I'm gonna be greedy and hold out for a 125 Blacktail. Hope to get the film back soon and will post the pictures. JM

·
Registered
143 Posts
Congrats John.

Congrats! Sounds like a riot. Pictures, Pictures, Pictures!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Thats some great news John. Rumer has it, that theres also been a huge bull shot out of Cle Ellum in the 360 class. We'll see about that one.

Are you the guy that hunted Bull Mts. in Montana with Donny Starkweather 5 or 6 years ago?

Cant wait for some pics of the "masher".....and the 280 bull....:D

Thanks,
Bob Hickey
The Nock Point

·
Registered
45 Posts
Bull Mts

Yea! I guided Don and his friends at Bull Mountain Outfitters! In
Mussellshell Montana. Must have Been 1997 I think. Hope to post photos soon. Love to see that Bull Musta been the Teanaway theres some real growlers there. 366 would put that Bull at #3 all time for this State. What a Bull. Might not be much for Arizona or Utah Nevada but for Washington thats a huge Archery Killed Elk. JM

·
Registered
498 Posts
What happened to Bull Mt Outfitters? Have they started guiding again? How bout you.....Do you guide round here?

Yea... 360's huge for here! Have you seen many crowned bulls on the Westside lately?

Your 7x7 must have been heavy, were you alone on that hunt as well?

Bob

·
Registered
45 Posts
7x7

Yea I was alone on that Bull. I just got real lucky on that one. I wasn't expecting to see that good of Bull where I was hunting.
Last I heard Bull Mountain Outfitters has closed for good. Theres another guy who leased up that land and is called Musselshell Outfitters and I guess he does real well. JM

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great stories you guys! And congradulations on the kills. It's ALMOST as much reading these as it is hunting, almost. The fever has us does'nt it?. Man when you get close to them it's...I can't even put it in words. I've had great contact with alot of bulls so far this season but nothing size wise like you guys are talking about. Thanks for the stories keep em' comin..

·
Registered
498 Posts
lol......Yep, Elk Fever is one of a kind!

Redtop.....Have you been out since you had the 5 point up close?

John.....On the Raffle is it statewide and what are/were the dates? I haven't taken advantage of the raffle yet and dont know much about it.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yep, I've been out a bit though work has gotten in the way. I was out morning before last. Kinda slow start but then I bumped a 5 point out of his bed in the timber. He bolted outta there but I gave a toot on my cow call and it looked like he ran into a wall he stopped so fast. He turned and came slinking back to me with his neck stretched out like they do. I was pretty well concealed and he came into a clearing at 38 yds. Then there were a couple of soft cow calls from down below and both the bull and I thought more COWS. Funny how I felt we both got excited, for different reasons I think. Anyway he moved off a bit behind a screen of trees and I snuck up a little closer and cow called again. Another few calls from below, closer now, and the 5 point reappeared in the opening now at 23 yds. A slam dunk shot. I was picturing a few cows and a bigger bull coming up the timber toward me when all of a sudden the 5 point crashes away and my buddy Rob steps into the clearing blowing his cow call grinning. It was good to see him we hadn't run into each other much lately and I quess that 5 point was kinda small anyway. I'd still like to get a cow with my bow. It seems alot harder than getting close to bulls. This year I've passed on at least 4 shots at bulls but haven't even gotten close to a cow. Though gun season opens next week I've still got 5+ weeks. It'll happen. Good luck and good hunting everybody.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts