Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the pros or cons? is this method better suited for 2 people? it just seems to me that the faster you knock the guts out the faster the meat will cool, particularily if you are a lone hunter.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
If you do it right it is quick and painless to get the guts out. And yes the meat will cool faster. I would also get the hide pealed away from the meat as fast as possible. Just use it as a tarp to work on.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,332 Posts
It's pretty darn quick to split the hide down the back, start skinning, and bagging meat. A lot less messy too.;)

The faster you get the meat bagged, the faster it will cool. If I gut it, now I've just wasted time that could have been used to skin and bag.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I prefer to skip the gutting and do the gutless method. I split down the stomach and then skin up and over the back laying the skin out on the backside of the animal to create my "work" surface.

The method is fast enough that gutting provides little if any advantage, plus it is a step that you don't need to perform given you are likely packing the critter out.

I use the gutless when solo too.

I don't see much for disadvantages really, I have used it on bear, deer and elk. If you want the heart or something else it is not difficult to go get it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I think if your in a place where you pack out....the gutless method is the way to go. I havent done an elk yet, but have done deer.

·
SAVELKSHOOTWOLVES
1,243 Posts
Gut vs Gutless

Depends on which state you might get your elk in. Regs may differ from state to state as to what one can leave at the kill sight? Just a thought

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I can't think of a disadvantage to using the gutless method. Getting the hide off and the meat off the bone will cool it faster than anything else. Once you get the hang of it, it doesn't take that long to complete the job. Having two people makes it easier and a little faster, but one guy can skin, bone and bag an Elk in 75 to 90 minutes. If it's a critter you want to cape, you'll have to take a little more time.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't think of a disadvantage to using the gutless method. Getting the hide off and the meat off the bone will cool it faster than anything else. Once you get the hang of it, it doesn't take that long to complete the job. Having two people makes it easier and a little faster, but one guy can skin, bone and bag an Elk in 75 to 90 minutes. If it's a critter you want to cape, you'll have to take a little more time.
without deboning, can it be done in an hour or less for 1 guy? the reason i ask is because i gutted, skinned, quartered and bagged my cow last season in about an hour.

·
A Man for All Seasons
2,702 Posts
leave the guts

I started the gutless way about 5 yrs ago. Works great on elk, deer, muleys and pigs. I really can't see any reason not too. some people just keep on doing tings the way they have always been done....
and did anyone mention a whole lot less messy?....lol

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I started the gutless way about 5 yrs ago. Works great on elk, deer, muleys and pigs. I really can't see any reason not too. some people just keep on doing tings the way they have always been done....
and did anyone mention a whole lot less messy?....lol
you bring up a point here i want to explore a little if i may. you mention doing things the way they've always been done. my question to that is how long has the gutless method been being used? i never heard of going gutless until maybe a year ago or a little longer.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
I have not perfected the gutless method yet, but it does seem quicker and less messy. Like 5MB said when the meat is bagged it will cool quicker.

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
Depends where I'm at...but I love to just debone right off the carcuss without gutting. Clean and quick! Shot 2 mule deer and 2 antelope in one day last year....would not have been possible had I not deboned right in the field.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
THIS IS FAST!

either way, i am slow as a dry turd.
up until this animal we had always taken our deer to the shop (about 45 minutes from where we hunt deer) and hung them and skinned.

i was amazed at how easy the hide peeled off of that elk. my guess is when the animal is still warm like that it makes skinning easier. it was the first time i had ever quartered an animal and skinned one on the ground. i did as others have suggested as far as using the hide as a barrier between the animal and the ground.

i'm totally open to trying it gutless though.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Gutless is the way to go. Much faster, and as mentioned before, less messy. Basically it just saves you a time consuming step, and when I am in the backcountry I am all about efficiency.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
After 40 years of big game hunting, I did the gutless thing last year on a bull elk for the first time.WOW! I really dont believe it is any more time consuming than gutting,skinning, quartering + as mentioned above, is alot more sanitary.That was the cleanest, best meat I've ever brought off the mountain.And the biggest benefit to the gutless method is that your not packing all the extra weight of the scrap/bones & fat.I dont see any reason to ever do it the old fashioned way again. Bone it, bag it & hang it & it will cool down real fast.We left the leg bones in just to keep the four legs firmer to handle because without the bone, it is kinda floppy to cary unless you have quality pack frames.Cant believe it took me this long to try it!

·
Registered
385 Posts
In colorado you need to have evidence of sex, on a cow how would you keep a udder or anything else attached one of the quarters?

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After 40 years of big game hunting, I did the gutless thing last year on a bull elk for the first time.WOW! I really dont believe it is any more time consuming than gutting,skinning, quartering + as mentioned above, is alot more sanitary.That was the cleanest, best meat I've ever brought off the mountain.And the biggest benefit to the gutless method is that your not packing all the extra weight of the scrap/bones & fat.I dont see any reason to ever do it the old fashioned way again. Bone it, bag it & hang it & it will cool down real fast.We left the leg bones in just to keep the four legs firmer to handle because without the bone, it is kinda floppy to cary unless you have quality pack frames.Cant believe it took me this long to try it!
after seeing that video i think i'll have to give it a try next season when i get him on the ground.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In colorado you need to have evidence of sex, on a cow how would you keep a udder or anything else attached one of the quarters?
great question

1 - 20 of 92 Posts