Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8,392 Posts
Man, I bet that was a creepy feeling for the camera guy! :eek:

The way that Elk slowly turned an look was almost mechanical. Cool footage! :thumb:

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Good tracking job! how many times did he shoot that Bull? Looked like 3 arrows in him and one found on the blood trail.

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
:thumbs_up Cool video. I might have had to change my drawers when that Elk turned it's head.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Very cool video. Really shows how much animals do not feel an arrow. That Elk did not even flinch on the second shot, and died within seconds of it. Very cool

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I am not the sharpest tool in the drawer, but why would you start tracking the next monring before it was even light out?? Especially in an area where you felt it necessary to carry bear spray and sidearms??

Cool footage though!!

Mark

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not the sharpest tool in the drawer, but why would you start tracking the next monring before it was even light out?? Especially in an area where you felt it necessary to carry bear spray and sidearms??

Cool footage though!!

Mark
Several very good questions posted so let me give a little more on the story.

The area where we were hunting in Montana is definitely grizzly territory. I have been fortunate enough not to have a bad encounter. I've seen them and been close but cordial encounters. Also, mountain lions are common in the area. In fact, the next day while pursuing elk, we had a bull coming in at 25 yards and a mountain lion come check the elk out as well at 10 yards just as my buddy was getting ready to shoot the elk. Kind of scared the hunter and the whole scene blew up with everybody running away scared. Anyway, that is another story.... Wish I had that on video! Also, now wolves in the area. Lots of stuff to be careful about when in the woods where this elk was shot. Good observation! Hence, the side arm and bear spray...

The video makes it look darker than it really was when we started. We hiked in the main trail in the dark but stopped at the first blood until it got light enough to see. It got light enough fairly quickly. Just trying to weigh all the factors in our decision. Safety, light to see, recover the elk without loosing any meat, etc. Good news is that it was cool that night so the meat would have been fine regardless and the pack out was a short one.

After the shot, we did check the area an hour or so after the shot and heard the bull still thrashing so we did suspect the shot was not as good as originally thought. So, that is when we decided to simply wait until daylight to give the animal time to expire. Even with all those predators in the woods, we would have tracked him in the dark had it been a better shot. A wounded animal in the dark or daylight for that matter, freaks me out more than the bears do. Best not to push the animal and let them bed down. Much better chance to recover them. Which we did.

Thanks for the question.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good tracking job! how many times did he shoot that Bull? Looked like 3 arrows in him and one found on the blood trail.
Yes, you are correct. The shot in the video was actually the third shot into this elk. The first (original) was a gut shot, back from vitals and low. It may have slightly hit the liver. The second two we put in one after another just to make darn sure. They second shot would have probably been fine but we wanted that elk dead as quickly as possible. I've seen these animals get up with even the best shots. Best to make 100% sure. They are tuff animals!

We had completely ran out of any blood trail for about 100 yards so we tracked him with his tracks and brush trail. We were very lucky to recover this elk but persistence pays off. When I found him, I thought for sure he was going to get up and it is illegal in Montana for me to have finished him with my side arm. If he would have gotten up, who knows how much further he would have gone....

·
Registered
11,579 Posts
Great footage, looks like a hunt you won't soon forget!

·
Registered
728 Posts
When that thing turned and looked at the camera man I jumped! Ha ha! Cool footage right there.

·
Me encanta cazar
772 Posts
Awesome tape, good job staying on the animal.

·
Registered
10,964 Posts
tough animals

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
It would have been an awesome video, but because of that annoyingl music I couldn't hear a word of what was said. What was filmed that morning in the mountains is good enough to stand on it's own, without distraction. Just my opinion tho.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
That's cool, good shots and awesome blood trail, congrats.:thumbs_up

·
Registered
2,419 Posts

Cool footage though!!

Mark
That is what I was thinking!

·
Premium Member
10,326 Posts
Cool video. Freaky when he turns to look at you :fear: :eek:

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Yes, you are correct. The shot in the video was actually the third shot into this elk. The first (original) was a gut shot, back from vitals and low. It may have slightly hit the liver. The second two we put in one after another just to make darn sure. They second shot would have probably been fine but we wanted that elk dead as quickly as possible. I've seen these animals get up with even the best shots. Best to make 100% sure. They are tuff animals!

We had completely ran out of any blood trail for about 100 yards so we tracked him with his tracks and brush trail. We were very lucky to recover this elk but persistence pays off. When I found him, I thought for sure he was going to get up and it is illegal in Montana for me to have finished him with my side arm. If he would have gotten up, who knows how much further he would have gone....
yes I thought I could see where this arrow hit in the last frame showing the hunter with the bull. Glad you were able to stay on him and it turned out well.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts