Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very soon after buying a Moultrie D40 I discovered it was junk. The first time I put it out nearly all of my pictures were blurry. I tried to call customer service many times..never getting getting past a recording. I finally sent an email and recieved a response nearly a week later. The lady told me that if the deer was moving, then the picture will be blurry. I asked her if I was supposed to get the deer to stop and pose for the picture? She asked me to send some pictures to her so she could see.

Since I had deleted the first batch, I put it out a second time. Two days later I went to get it and discovered that the brand new batteries that I had put in the camera were dead, pictures were blurry, and the LCD screen did not work. I emailed her again about returning it and told her the problems. She also again told me that the pictures were going to be blurry if the deer is moving. I responed and told her that I thought the sensor was triggered by motion, so the deer moving/ blurry pictures thing isnt making sense. She responded with.
"Please make sure that your Amazon paperwork shows 3 things: who you purchased the camera from; the date you purchased the camera; and that the paperwork shows you purchased a camera. The camera is not triggered by motion – it is a heat sensing camera.

Thank you for using Moultrie and Carry-Lite,

My question is, are these cameras triggered by heat or motion. I thought it was a combination of both.

Also, stay away from these junk cameras.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sounds like you got a lemon. I bought 1 last year and liked it so much I bought 2 more. I've got about 10,000 pictures from them this past summer and they're still going strong. I love mine.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
They are triggered by heat not by motion.

·
USAF Retired
1,221 Posts
Sounds like a very dis-interested customer service agent who is just sending out a canned response. Time to switch brands and take your money to a company who cares more about their product and their reputation.

·
Only visiting this planet
4,216 Posts
My understanding is that the PIR (passive infra-red?) sensor is sensing for a combination of heat and movement....

·
Registered
40 Posts
My brand new Moultrie D40 was out for 1 night. It then quit working, I changed batteries, removed the SD card and tried the internal memory, nothing. It would power on and then just power off or sometimes just freeze. I spent nearly 40 minutes calling, before getting a representative on the phone. She told me that this is the busiest time for them. She had me return the camera with a promise of them fixing or replacing the device. I did receive and email that they had received the camera. That was several weeks ago and I have heard nothing from Moultrie since. :cry: Emails go unanswered and I really don't have the time to spend on the phone. Guess my next camera will be a homebrew.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She also told me that she was sorry, this was there busiest time of the year. There customer service is terrible.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im thinking I might be better off trying to return it through Amazon.com, rather than waiting for anything from Moultrie?

·
Banned
2,877 Posts
I've had great luck with my camera..One of the first models..a little slow on the trigger speed, but cant ask for too much when it was only $129.00..still working great after 4 or 5 seasons..i went straight out and got a recharcheable battery and it'll last 7-10 days out there.
I had one of the greatest and nicest customer service reps also when i called for a replacement clip that i broke..Her name is Melanie..Ask for her!

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
The D40 I used was simply great. Took good pics, and the batteries last for a month. Sounds like you got a lemon. If you bought it from amazon why not just return it? You could even exchange it for a replacement if it doesn't work right.

·
Registered
427 Posts
At least you got someone to answer your email. I couldn't even do that, going on over two months. My I40 LCD still not working.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I love the two I have. You can find them on sale every year for as low as $60. At that price you can buy three for the price of one Cuddeback.

If you do not get help with Moultries customer service try calling the parent company EBSCO Ind. They make all kinds of outdoor products. Code Blue, Summit Treestands, Carry-lite, etc.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I work for a manufacturer of sensors so I know a little bit about the different types. I highly doubt these cameras use a passive infrared sensor. If they did, then no pictures would be taken on the days it was 85+ degrees. A passive infrared sensor looks for a change in temparture compared to the environment it is in. Usually they are only used in interior applications for the fact that there is a greater chance they will fail as the temperatures rise outside.

My guess is the cameras use a focused active infrared signal that senses a presence not motion and causes the camera to fire and take a picture. If the camera used motion detection, they would have to use some sort of microwave based signal - much faster than infrared. The sensors we make use microwave technology for motion detection and either focused or diffused active infrared for presence detection - PIRs are a different animal.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Must be some lemons out there, I've had good luck with mine for 2 years now. It's only $99 bucks so are they amazing pictures? No, but darn good for $99

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
Heck, I have 3 D40's and not 1 problem....2 of them I have had now for 3 years and they still work fine...Batteries last up to 2 months when temps are above freezing.....I have taken hundreds of pics off of these cameras. The only thing is when temps are below freezing, they get sluggish and when it is super cold the LCD read out does freeze up....But then again, their booklet says not for super cold weather use......:confused:

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
This is from the D40 user manual.

Camera specs-

Infared Sensor: Passive, activates when motion is detected

Operations- aiming

Things to rember-
1. This camera is activated by infared sensors that detect game by sensing a moving heat source whose temperature is different than the ambient temperature. Temperature and type of movement will effect the sensitivity of your camera.

jsun713, could you elaborate on how this actually works. And could you miss pics if it was extremely warm? Thanks!

·
Registered
835 Posts
D-40

I have used the D-40 and with nothing bad to say I love them two years and still going. I also have the 5.0 Cabelas Outfitter version and same thing great cameras for the money. You got a dud!

·
Registered
344 Posts
First off Multrie customer service totally sucks.

I have three cameras and rarely have all three working. I keep the original packaging for one of them and keep returning them as they fail. I just had one of mine lock up and stop working again! I return at least one a year. They take good photos IF they are working. The new ones are way too sensitive.

I wish I could trade all three of mine for one cuddeback.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts