Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend is pulling 40lbs with a 25.5" draw does she have enough power to shoot a 100grain 1 3/8 grimreaper? I know a cut on contact would be better but could she make it work on a whitetail? Anyone here shoot a mechanical with low poundage?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Anything can work under the right conditions. The real question is do you want to chance poor penetration and possibly a lost animal because you chose against a style of broadhead you know will work? My guess here is along with low draw weight and short draw she's probably shooting a light arrow. Those are 3 reasons NOT to use a mechanical. One last thing... Whould you use that set up if you knew you were going to get a shot at a 200" deer? I doubt it.... Don't let her do it if you wouldn't. Happy hunting!

·
Registered
10,513 Posts
No, she needs a fixed head. A perfect shot would work, but anything else...probably not. The only mech I would even consider would be a steelhead, but that is still out in my opinion. A good fixed head is needed.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I wouldn't shoot Reapers w/ that set-up. If she hits any solid bone on a mature whitetail she will have issue with penetration IMO... I'd stick to a fixed blade with her set-up... Good luck!

·
Registered
276 Posts
fixed blade for sure, i have nothing against mechanical heads.. just dont like the idea of using them with low poundage and short draw

·
Registered
539 Posts
Yep, I must agree with the rest... a fixed blade head is on the books for that setup, a mechanical may work in the perfect condition but I don't think it's worth the risk really.

·
Registered
11,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was just a thought because thats what I shoot and have plenty laying around. She just got done shooting her Slick Trick Razortricks so thats what she will be shooting this year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts