Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious of this question. Will this setup be good enough to kill an elk effectively (as in my arrow will penetrate a good 12" or so) at 60 yards if I hit where I want it to be.

Mathews Z7
currently set at 60# (slowing cranking it up, want it to be about 63#-65#)
Easton Axis 400 with a 100 grain Muzzy MX-3 weighing in a total of 365 grains
I have a 25" draw and it is shooting somewhere in the low 250's right now, if I get it uop to 63#-65# it should be shooting somewhere in the 260's with this setup, is this plenty enough to kill an elk at 60 yards if I shoot in the ribs and what may possibly happen if I do hit shoulder at this distance with this set-up?
I am very confident out to 60 yards with my bow.
Thanks for the input fellas,
Clint

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
I am curious of this question. Will this setup be good enough to kill an elk effectively (as in my arrow will penetrate a good 12" or so) at 60 yards if I hit where I want it to be.

Mathews Z7
I have a 25" draw and it is shooting somewhere in the low 250's right now, if I get it uop to 63#-65# it should be shooting somewhere in the 260's with this setup, is this plenty enough to kill an elk at 60 yards if I shoot in the ribs and what may possibly happen if I do hit shoulder at this distance with this set-up?
Clint
In my opinion it is not "plenty enough". If you split the ribs you will be fine, and probably will be fine if you hit a rib on the way in. But you will not have any chance to penetrate a shoulder at 60 yards imho but crazy things do happen. :)

Lien2

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,401 Posts
Even with my 32" draw I wouldn't take a 60 yard shot at an elk with a 365gr arrow. On the other hand, I wouldn't use a 365gr arrow at any distance....but that's me.

Last summer I used my 60lb bow to shoot a few BH's into 3/4" plywood from 20 yards. 460gr arrow with 100gr Slick Trick at 269fps penetrated 7". 335gr arrow with the same head at 304fps.......the BH tip was just barely pointing out the back of the plywood.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
is this plenty enough to kill an elk at 60 yards if I shoot in the ribs and what may possibly happen if I do hit shoulder at this distance with this set-up?Clint
Ignition Kid,
Even if you beef up your arrow weight, do not think you will kill an elk if you hit solid shoulder bone, even at 20 yards. This is much different than deer hunting, if there is a question that you might hit shoulder bone, do not take the shot.

I've killed plenty of elk with a bow, and never had to take a 60 yard shot. Most of them have been under 20 yards. I shoot 63 pounds and 400 grains at 280 fps.

Best of Luck,
Jeff (AT Sponsor)
www.elkmtngear.com

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, as of right now I guess I will try my dangest to keep away from the shoulder bone, I've been practicing out to 60 yards and I fell pretty good so far and have yet to sight in my 60 yard pin. The other day I hit a piece of paper about the size of a dollar bill split in half at 60 yards and my other shots were inches away from it as well. If I shoot good enough at 60 yards (good to me for confidence at that distance is about a 3"-4" group since I can shoot 1" groups all day at 40 yards. The way I see it, if it's God's will for me to kill that elk if he happens to be at 60 yards then it will happen, but if not then it won't happen. I know that the majority of shots on elk are on average about 30 yards or less because it's so thick in the timber but if I have to make that shot then I will want to be ready for it even if it doesn't happen. My grandfather has been hunting elk for that I know 30 years and has yet to shoot at an elk past 55 yards which was the furthest and his others were between 10 and 40 yards at the maximum and he has killed 25 bull elk 21 of them with a bow.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Will it kill @ 60 yards? Yes.

Ethically? For most archers probably not.

Could I make the shot in perfect conditions? Most of the time. But, most of the time isn't good enough for me. Just because I can doesn't mean I should.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
Well, as of right now I guess I will try my dangest to keep away from the shoulder bone, I've been practicing out to 60 yards and I fell pretty good so far and have yet to sight in my 60 yard pin. The other day I hit a piece of paper about the size of a dollar bill split in half at 60 yards and my other shots were inches away from it as well. If I shoot good enough at 60 yards (good to me for confidence at that distance is about a 3"-4" group since I can shoot 1" groups all day at 40 yards. The way I see it, if it's God's will for me to kill that elk if he happens to be at 60 yards then it will happen, but if not then it won't happen. I know that the majority of shots on elk are on average about 30 yards or less because it's so thick in the timber but if I have to make that shot then I will want to be ready for it even if it doesn't happen. My grandfather has been hunting elk for that I know 30 years and has yet to shoot at an elk past 55 yards which was the furthest and his others were between 10 and 40 yards at the maximum and he has killed 25 bull elk 21 of them with a bow.
Shooting elk in the wild is far more difficult than shooting at a target my friend,you know the exact yardage of that target I presume,and targets don't move,as elk do,as for your setup I would strongly advise against any shots past 35-40 yds with your setup.I shoot 70 lbs and wouldn't attempt a 60 yd shot on an elk,there's jus to much to take into consideration on a shot like that,especially on an animal that big.jmho
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
571 Posts

Mathews Z7
Clint
i am only shooting 50 lbs and i have a 26" draw length. at the end of this year after deer season i am going to switch arrows and i am going to use a 425 grain arrow. right now i am getting 242 fps with a 342 grain arrow. you have the right draw weight to do it. but your arrows are too light to penetrate with lethal capacity at 60 yards. you have a good BH. me personally when i shoot 60lbs i am going to be shooting a 425-500 grain arrow. because the KE and momentum is at best results there.

so if i were you i would limit myself to about 40 yards with your light arrows. OR,.. i would get heavier arrows. probably..... 400-450grains.
adding 50 grains to your arrow is like shooting 10 lbs more with your current arrows. so at 60lbs with a 415 grain arrow it will out penetrate your bow set at 70 lbs shooting your 365 grain arrows. regardless of speed.

good luck.

hunterthehunter

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I see what you are saying, I was going to purchase some Axis FMJ's for this hunt and use them the rest of the year but it's a little too late for that. Don't get me wrong here, I definitely don't want to shoot an elk that far away but if the conditions are right, meaning the wind is favoring me, the elk is calm and relaxed, not up on his nerves, and I know the yardage and he is broadside, I will want to take the shot. If the shot presumes itself I just pray to God that my arrow hits the right spot.

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
1" groups all day at 40 huh? You should think about going to Vegas and winning some year. :zip:
Good luck on your hunt, next time you don't want to hear what others think, don't ask on a public forum. :wink:

Lien2

·
Registered
791 Posts
I see what you are saying, I was going to purchase some Axis FMJ's for this hunt and use them the rest of the year but it's a little too late for that. Don't get me wrong here, I definitely don't want to shoot an elk that far away but if the conditions are right, meaning the wind is favoring me, the elk is calm and relaxed, not up on his nerves, and I know the yardage and he is broadside, I will want to take the shot. If the shot presumes itself I just pray to God that my arrow hits the right spot.
I was at a local bow shop this past weekend taking to a guy that had just moved to the area. His son was busting his chops for not taking a shot last fall, saying his dad was scared. I told that boy that his dad had made an ethical decision to not shoot because of the distance of the shot.

It appears to me that you are considering shooting too far, 60 yards. You shouldn't take any shot that you have to "pray to God that it hits the right spot". I too am a man of faith, and believe in praying for everything. But when you are shooting an animal, you shouldn't release any arrow that you aren't totally confident will hit the spot you are aiming at. If you are questioning the weight of your arrow and KE or momentum, then I believe that you aren't confident in your setup to effectively take an animal of that size at that distance. If you aren't confident in your setup at that distance, then it should be a no shot opportunity. Work to get in closer to the animal that way you leave the woods with your trophy, or a good feeling knowing you didn't wound or lose an animal.

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
A few things... I would get AA and figure out your KE at 60. Also, if you are questioning if you have enough KE at 60 then you have doubt. There should NEVER been any doubt in your setup. As is, with your setup I would switch to a COC two-blade... but that is just me.. Also you arrow weight is light for elk... at distance the lack of Momentum will only be compounded....

Jason

·
Shaaaaazam!!
7,703 Posts
estimated KE at point black range 52lb .412 momentum>at 60yrds it aint so pretty 43lb KE..an .374 momentum.An animal can move alot when the arrow is only flyin about 250fps out the bow an 230fps at 50yrds

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Just cuz you can, doesnt mean you should.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
im no elk hunting expert by any means but i dont know to many people that needed to take a shot past 40yds on a animal such as a elk, with your setup i would definately keep it 40 or in only time i would take a shot past 40 yds would be if he gave me a opportunity to put a second one in him after hes ran off a little bit if you want to take long range shots go during rifle or muzzleloader season when you have one of those in hand.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.