Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I am going on a bear hunt this fall and want to make sure that my bow has what it takes to get it done. I am shooting a Mathews Hyperlite, 28"dl, set at 62lbs (60lb limbs). I am shooting a Carbon Express Maxima Hunter with 100 gr tips. I Chrono'd it last fall when I bought it at 240 fps.

Is there anything that I can do to add to performance or is it good as is?

Thanks for any insight.

·
can I shoot it?
16,605 Posts
arrow weight

the total arrow weight would be needed to calculate any important data; that being said if you use a good broadhead, one that is sharp and not too large, you will do just fine. A 60lb hyperlight will shoot lightyears ahead of any bow that was made just 10 years ago, and they killed plenty of bear then. Good luck and shoot straight.
As a side note there are plenty of female archers that shoot a lot less then that and they do fine.

·
Back down to ground level
15,930 Posts
Go for the double lung shots. I take it you're shooting the 350's. 250's would be light even though you're borderline on the charts. Happy hunting and good luck.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Double lung like said in previous post I have taken 4 bears with a double lung and none have gone more than 25 yards.

·
Registered
827 Posts
What is your arrow length and are you shooting 250 or 350? you should be between 48to51 LB KE depending on arrow. they recommend 50to65 Lb ke for blackbear but it is all shot placement.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My wife and I have been fall bear hunting in Ontario for the last 5 years. Seen bear everytime, and we have three bears. Always shoot, all four paws on the ground and broadside! Not a problem. Canada requires I think, 49 pounds. My wife started at 51 pounds, and now hunts at 59 and I hunt at 63-65.

That said, we do hunt with 125 grain, G5 Striker Magnums, they cut 2 inches. The bears do not go far.

Good luck

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Shot placement is everything. I feel you are better off with a heavier arrow as jumping the sting is not so much an issue with bear. Better to have more knock down power then speed. JMO

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I believe my arrow length is somewhere around 29" I will check tonight after I get home from work. And yes I am using the 350's.

I was doing the calculator and it was coming up with KE of 30f lbs.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
A black bear is actually pretty easy to get a passthrough. People think that they're tough to get a passthrough but they're not. You should have no problem.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well now that I think I figured out where I was going wrong, I feel alot better. I do have more questions, like it says that I should come close to 282fps, but I don't. Any explanations?

Thanks everybody for your help.

·
Registered
827 Posts
It as in What? says you should be at 282fps the outfit your going through?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
black bear shoot the same thing you shoot deer with. I use the same set up and it blows all the way through

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the calculator that you posted said I should be close to 282 fps.

·
Have Bow, Will Travel
446 Posts
For what it's worth...

A woman who went in my group to Manitoba in '08 was shooting a Mission X3 set at 42 lbs at 27 inches, shooting a goldtip 35/55 arrow with a G5 100 Montec and got a complete pass through at 12 yards. The bear was broadside. Minimum weight for a compound in Manitoba is 40 pounds. The bow was well tuned.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a friend that shot a 300lb bear a few years ago with a 45lb bow. He put it behind the shoulder, and was rewarded with a complete passtrough. Your rig is plenty for bear.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts