Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is difficult to describe conditions in almost the entire state right now. The current drought is the worst single year drought in recorded history. Even in the famed 1950's drought, it rained enough to make cotton and other crops. The state has lost almost all crops this year and it burning. Bastrop State Park, about 60 miles west of me, has almost burned to the ground. 35 square miles and 500-800 homes gone in this fire alone. Huge dead oak and other trees are virtually everywhere. Many farm ponds (some of which used to have great bass fishing) are all dried up. If this was happening in California, every news channel would be all over it.

I've fed and watered the small deer herd on my place, so they are doing fine. I guess there are many areas that aren't so lucky. Fellow Texans, how is the deer herd faring in your hunting area?

·
Registered
89 Posts
in East Texas, though the lakes are as low as I have ever seen them, the deer are doing good from the pictures I got. I have seen plenty of dead saplings and some mature hardwoods have died. some acorns are being thrown off early, hull and all. We have finally got a little rain, but not enough to make the creeks flow.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Up here in the panhandle the drought has been horible. The bucks seem to be doing fine, antlers look good, but it appears that on are place the does did not keep there fawns, so the future could be hurting.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Hun...southeast tx isn't doing much better. Locally, Seven cities in a matter of four days have reported wildfires. Out here the deer are ok. Im feeding and watering. Ponds and creeks are dried up. Lakes are crazy low. We're sitting on a powder keg gentleman. Looks like the only way will see rain is if a tropical storm or hurricane comes in. Say a prayer for everyone who has lost their homes, livestock, their livelihood. Pray for Texas and please pray for rain.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hun...southeast tx isn't doing much better. Locally, Seven cities in a matter of four days have reported wildfires. Out here the deer are ok. Im feeding and watering. Ponds and creeks are dried up. Lakes are crazy low. We're sitting on a powder keg gentleman. Looks like the only way will see rain is if a tropical storm or hurricane comes in. Say a prayer for everyone who has lost their homes, livestock, their livelihood. Pray for Texas and please pray for rain.
You can believe I'll be joining in on those prayers for rain and for those thousands of good people who have lost their homes and crops.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Well if you have any water in the area that you hunt, that is where I would setup that is for sure.
The deer will need to drink and may come from miles around to do so if that is the only place the can.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Fawn crop is estimated at 20% or less and if we did not have mesquite beans this year for the deer, it would have been a lot tougher. Horns do not look bad, but that is hard to tell with the last pics I have all are still in velvet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts