Archery Talk Forum banner

equinox

900 Views 8 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Excalibur Dude
After having trouble with fixed blade planing , I went out and spent $50 on Grim Reapers and repl blades. Shot today and started to look promising at 30 yrds, after some inconsistency. Went to 40 and shot 8'' low (expected) but also went 5" left! So I went back to 30 and shot 3'' down and 4'' left! Of course, I used string puller. Reaper gold "practice" cup sucks. Used regular set-up. Last shot didn't open blades after penetrating target. At this time I am trying to shore up my losses. Looking to sell Equinox. 50 something shots, factory string, string puller, stringer, 6 firebolts, scope mount bracket, 3 new Reapers and repl blades 100gr and 2 shuttle-t-lock 100gr. Anyone interested?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
262 Posts
placing it in the classifieds will surely generate some interest... I hope you reconsider and get to the root of the problem... did you spin test the completed shafts ? I am sorry you are considering giving up this great activity..
my abc sonics shoot great and I have not ever read of a single person claiming that they plane, etc...
good luck with your choices and your sale if that is what you continue toward doing... I would wager you would not have a bit of trouble with the small fixed blades like the sonic...
JMHO
dk

· Registered
262 Posts
placing it in the classifieds will surely generate some interest... I hope you reconsider and get to the root of the problem... did you spin test the completed shafts ? I am sorry you are considering giving up this great activity..
my abc sonics shoot great and I have not ever read of a single person claiming that they plane, etc...
good luck with your choices and your sale if that is what you continue toward doing... I would wager you would not have a bit of trouble with the small fixed blades like the sonic... you will certainly lose some money on selling such a new bow, but it will sell... the broadheads will likely not add a thing to the deal. good luck again.
JMHO
dk

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Broadhead issues

I've read the recommendations for a small fixed blade broadhead. Gander Mtn. said I'd have to have my arrows "tuned" for use with fixed heads. At a cost. Heads also have to be positioned same way each time. That's why I went with a mech that had a good rep. When I shot the Reaper, I used the gold practice cup that prevented the blades from opening up. Spring was taken out, too. Cup seemed to weaken after several shots but not before I could see I was still having a problem but not from blade profile. Shuttle-T- Locks $35 up in smoke. Reapers and replacement blades $50 down the tube. At this point, I really don't want to pee another $35 away. At that rate I could soon go out and buy another firearm. It just shouldn't be this way. That's why I've placed the bow in the classifieds.

· Incureable tinkerer
4,263 Posts
The guy from Gander may know something about bows, he obviously doesn't know anything about crossbow. The trick with crossbows is to get an arrow with high forward of center ratio (FOC). To do that one needs to get weight to the front of the arrow. I use Gold Tip Lazer II shafts, 110 grn brass inserts and 2" Blazer vanes. Coupled with a smallish 125 grn broadhead (Slick Trick mags) I get a 425 grn arrow with a FOC over 24%. (About 3 times more than what's recommended for vertical bow.) All that weight up front sort of pull the arrow straighter. The short vanes add stability but keep weight of the back and prevent planing...which is what larger vanes, as well as big braodheads and mechanicals (that open) prematurely do.
Don't give up. There are tricks to learn. As all you want I'm sure there are others that will help.

· Incureable tinkerer
4,263 Posts
chrips,
I should have specified smallish 4 bladed fixed broadhead. Seems to make no difference how you turn them in relationship to the vanes

· Registered
262 Posts
i AGREE IT IS PROBABLY NOT CORRECT THAT NOTHING IS WRONG AND THAT IT IS JUST PLANING ... SOMETHING IS GOING ON... I HAVE HAD SCOPES FAIL ON FIREARMS, POOR MOUNTS, ETC.
I HOPE YOU FIGURE IT OUT.. I THINK YOU CAN RECOUP SOME OF YOUR BROADHEAD INVESTMENT, AND WONDER WHO YOU BOUGHT IT FROM AND IF THEY CAN HELP YOU.. I WOULD WAGER THAT WYVERN WOULD GET IT BACK AND CHECK IT OUT IF HE SOLD IT TO YOU.. I AM SORRY YOU ARE GETTING SUCH BAD RESULTS .. THAT IS VERY ODD..
DK

· Registered
40 Posts
Chrisp,

The problem is not the crossbow but may be your choice of broadhead. Grim Reaper broadheads have twisted blades which are opposite to our left hand arrow fletching which makes the arrow flight unstable. Start by using field points and see how it shoots. Also, are you using a scope or open sights?

The crossbow itself will not typically cause eratic flight, its usually the arrows, broadhead arrow combination or a bad sighting system. If you have any questions please contact me at 800-463-1817.

Regards,

Peter
Excalibur Crossbow Inc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.