Archery Talk Forum banner

Equipment advice needed for new couple.

767 Views 12 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  jim570
Hi folks.

The wife and I have caught the archery bug while attending a night class. I'm wondering what the best bow for myself would be that would be inexpensive but good enough to get me through 2 or 3 years until I'd be ready to move up. I've pretty much got it down that the wife will be getting a Diamond Edge to start with.

We will NOT be hunting. We'll probably shoot target, indoor target, DARTS, and possibly 3D and field target.

A roundabout guess on my draw length would be 27".

I'm also interested in any advice on sights.

Thanks a bunch.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
818 Posts
Try testing out several different bow companies at a local shop and then come check out the classifieds on here. You'll get a lot of "this is the best bow" comments, but you ultimately have to find out what bow will feel the best to you personally. The same with your wife. Has she held an Edge, or shot one? If not, she may not care for it. Even if you can't try out the exact bow that you want, trying out something by the company will give you a good idea what their bows feel like.

You can usually find a good deal in the classifieds. Plus, if you change your mind in a year or so, you've spent less and probably will get closer to what you paid for it back. The biggest price drop occurs right after you buy a new bow....just like it is when you buy a car. Then the value will settle and level off a bit for a while. When you buy a used bow, the original owner has already experienced that value drop so you don't have to.

· Registered
30,683 Posts
You'll get a lot of "this is the best bow" comments, but you ultimately have to find out what bow will feel the best to you personally. The same with your wife. Has she held an Edge, or shot one? If not, she may not care for it. Even if you can't try out the exact bow that you want, trying out something by the company will give you a good idea what their bows feel like. .
This is exactly right. Try as many bows as you can before making a decision.
If you want a good, but less expensive bow, try looking at companies like Reflex and Mission. I am not very familiar with Martin, but I hear quite a bit on how reasonably priced they are.

· Registered
1,598 Posts
I have pieced together my setup entirely from the AT Classifieds here for right at about $600:

'06 Bowtech Allegiance 60-70# limbs
Another set of limbs for my draw (50-60#)
Spot Hogg-It (hunter) sight
Wisker Bisquit Rest

This is actually a complete and total upgrade from what I had (PSE Whitetail Extreme bought at BassPro several years ago). I did have the chance to shoot an Allegiance prior to deciding on the bow and is a good idea to do so.

Needless to say, I am entirely happy with what I have put together!

· Registered
111 Posts
Getting to a good achery store is a must for all reasons listed. They will also have used bows there to try and buy. Some people just have to have a new one every year so many used have only been lightly used. If you give your location someone here will be able to tell you a good store in your area.

Good Luck. Welcome to AT :cat:

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey folks, thanks for all the responses and advice. The common theme seems to be try out a lot of bows. Unfortunately that seems easier said than done. I went today to a local dealer and their stock on hand and prices seemed very poor. They only had one or two 2009 Diamond models that are out of my price range. They had no LH bows for my wife to try, and their prices on the 2008 models seemed very high.

I think what I'll do is just drive down to Eugene to the Bowtech/Diamond pro shop since it's only 1 hour away. I would hope that they would have a good selection. :dontknow:

I'm going to talk to the instructor on Wednesday and get some contacts since he knows some of the folks there.

I'm pretty excited about this hobby, the wife just couldn't get interested in shooting when I was competing in high power rifle, but she's really psyched about shooting the bows!

· Registered
5,479 Posts
Try to get to an archery shop and shoot as many as you can.

There are a lot of really good bows out there that are in the lower price range.

And lots of good used stuff on here.

I would get something that you can adjust the draw length on. Since you are new you can adjust things to your liking.

Good luck!

· Registered
818 Posts
Don't worry about how much the bows at the shop cost. Try as many brands out as possible. You don't have to buy the bow just to try it out. Some shops will carry only the high end bows from a company because they bring in more money. But most bows will shoot similarly within a certain manufacturing line. Certain bows are known for durability (for instance, Hoyt); certain ones are known for a smooth draw (for instance, Mathews); certain are known for speed (for instance, Bowtech); some bows tend to be heavier like Hoyts (good for stability when shooting....but maybe not a good idea if you have joint problems or literally can't hold the weight of the bow comfortably); some tend to be very light in comparison like Martin (usually because they cater more towards hunters who need to hold the bow for longer lengths of time while they're waiting for a good shot), and so on. You need to pick what feels good in your hand, what is important to you in a bow, and then what you can afford in their line.

Remember that it's not important to buy a 2009 or even a 2008. Just because they're the new thing out, doesn't make them significantly better than the older models. Some people take such good care of their bows on here that they have 2005 and older bows that look like brand new bows. Seriously consider looking into the classifieds on here. The mods really do a great job to ensure that deals are safe. You can get some great deals for both of you, and probably in a bigger variety of colors (which I'm sure your wife will enjoy).

Don't forget to get properly measured for draw length and test to see how much you can comfortably pull. Keep in mind that you will be pulling that weight over and over many times. And if you're only interested in target shooting...you might want to keep the draw weight lower because high weights aren't needed and it's easier on your body over time.

I've found that our local shops really raise the prices on accessories. Online stores, and even the classifieds here, will usually lead you to a better deal. But, check out what's out there, in person, so you can get a hands on perspective of what's available. Good luck!!!

· Registered
256 Posts
Good luck

Hopefully you can find a shop near you with some LH bows to try out. It will be a LOT harder to find the ideal bow for your wife just because there aren't that many out there. Search hard in the classifieds. There won't be many LH, short draw, low poundage bows but they will be there. And don't be afraid to PM someone who had a bow listed several months back, they might still be available. Hopefully you can find the one she wants without paying an arm and a leg for a new one.

· Registered
818 Posts
Might want to ask in the ladies section on here.....seems like I've read recently that there a lefty that learned a technique to test a bow right handed so she could see which bows she liked. Don't know what it entails....but maybe she could help.

· Registered
480 Posts
if you can find a Bass Pro or Cabela's or the like, they'll have MANY more bows for you to test than a dealer of a specific brand. Even if you buy elsewhere, it would probably give you a better idea of what you want

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.