Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy is going on an elk hunt next september to colorado and will be packing in 6 miles to set up camp.He would like you guys to recommend a good frame pack,warm sleeping bag that is light and easy to pack,and anything else that would be easily forgotten on an elk hunt.Thanks in advance.You guys always come through.

BRO

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
For my pack in trips I use a badlands 4500(no need for frame) mountian hardware tent and sleeping bag. The big one on any pack hunt GOOD boots. I had a partner on my goat hunt this year who had to spend most of his time sitting in camp because his boots blistered his feet all to hell. Does he need the whole deal or is he going with an outfitter?Is this his first pack in trip?

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Check out the Campmor bags. i have one and love it. Plenty warn and packs very small and light. I've used it for packin hunts for about the last 6 years

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For my pack in trips I use a badlands 4500(no need for frame) mountian hardware tent and sleeping bag. The big one on any pack hunt GOOD boots. I had a partner on my goat hunt this year who had to spend most of his time sitting in camp because his boots blistered his feet all to hell. Does he need the whole deal or is he going with an outfitter?Is this his first pack in trip?
He is going with his preachers son that has been going for a few years now.I think he will need the whole deal.He is new at this and any advice is welcome.....Thanx.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Getting started for pack in trips is not cheep heres a list

compact stove ,a mess kit that is light and packs together nice,light food(mountain house meals are great),for tent and sleeping bag look up mountain hardware,Pack don't go cheep and it must fit well and hold weight comfortable,Boots I like Danners but what ever fits good and break them in,Dry sacks for cloths and food( they compress things good for packing in)

On pack in hunts I hunt grizz,goat,sheep,and mule deer not elk so for that part I can not help.I can not stress more about looking after your feet because if you don't your hunt is over fast. Tell him to train before the hunt with his pack at the weight he planes on going in with at least.

pack hunts are my fav hunts to do I hope he has a good time if there is any questions just ask

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses,I really appreciate it.

BRO

·
Registered
334 Posts
I highly recommend western mountaineering down sleeping bags.A -5 degree bag packs down smaller than a loaf of bread and is soooo comfy.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Waterproof maps, Compass(with knowledge of how to use them) and a small first aid kit that includes a space saver emergency blanket and Strike Anywhere matches. Most people thing of what they want to use not what they may NEED to use.

·
Vendor
3,562 Posts
Water purifier, Mt Man Meals, space blanket, rope, knife, compus, GPS, Map, head lamp, water proof matches, and God on your side for the hunt!! good luck my friend. PS. Dont forget the Trophy Blend :)

·
Registered
876 Posts
Go to backpacking light's webite for many tips on gear, weight, etc. It will teach him to shave many ounces and has lots of gear reviews. As others said, good boots will make or break the hunt. I wear Cabelas Meindl Perfekt Hikers and get in about 30 days of elk hunting every fall. I never get a blister, but I break them in well before season.

·
Registered
9,950 Posts
6+ miles is a Looooong ways to pack an elk. Make sure you're up to 36 miles of walking/hauling in elk country or find something a little closer to the road. If you kill one it will take at least 2 trips with meat and another to get your camp. Tough hunt, I've done it 3 times in the last 4 year but from 1/2 that distance and I can tell you backpack hunting ain't for sissys. Good Luck.

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
60 miles

My buddy is going on an elk hunt next september to colorado and will be packing in 6 miles to set up camp.He would like you guys to recommend a good frame pack,warm sleeping bag that is light and easy to pack,and anything else that would be easily forgotten on an elk hunt.Thanks in advance.You guys always come through.

BRO
Everything you've posted makes it sound like he's gonna be solo.

I don't know anyone that can pack an elk six miles out in less than four trips...plus you have camp.

5 trips - 6 miles one way is 30 miles plus the 30 miles to get back in there.

Is he really ready for that? Maybe a drop camp or packer would be a good idea.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts