Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since when does something like a 2 year old bow worth less than half of what you bought it for?? Like wise for quality accessories??? Tired of getting these low ball offers everyday on **** I worked my ass off to afford. I guess it is a good thing I am ditching the technology and and getting in tune with myself..

Rant over!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
130 Posts
That’s the nature of the game when manufacturers release new and improved products every year. It’s all about perceived value; since it isn’t the “latest and greatest”, it loses value. It sucks, but that’s the way it is. Compound bows don’t hold value at all. Horrible investment if you don’t plan on keeping and plan to resell them.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Just like outrageously overpriced vehicles, something is worth what the people will pay for it. If it’s $500 for a bow that we paid $1200 for a week before, unfortunately that’s what it is. I feel your pain though. It sucks but it has been this way a while to my knowledge with archery stuff.

·
Registered
855 Posts
That’s the nature of the game when manufacturers release new and improved products every year. It’s all about perceived value; since it isn’t the “latest and greatest”, it loses value. It sucks, but that’s the way it is. Compound bows don’t hold value at all. Horrible investment if you don’t plan on keeping and plan to resell them.

The only way I’ll disagree with this is unless you find a good pro shop that would allow you to trade up each year. You will still lose $100-$150 but that’s not a terrible “lease” price lol.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The only way I’ll disagree with this is unless you find a good pro shop that would allow you to trade up each year. You will still lose $100-$150 but that’s not a terrible “lease” price lol.

Agreed! I’d love to find a shop like that. I’d have a new bow each year!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
used equipment is worth exactly what the market will bear and no more. if you get what you think is a lowball offer, but no-one offers you more, then that is what the piece is worth, it doesn't matter what you think it's worth.....it's as very simple as that. the idea that used equipment is worth about half of new value is just a market manipulation by the retailers,...eg,.. the more they can make people pay for used equipment, the better the odds people will buy new equipment because that person won't have to dig as deep in his pockets to afford it. if you think what you are selling is worth more,...then hold out and see if you can get more,....that's what "free enterprise" is. it's a game,... and there is always a winner and always a loser in every game. i guess it boils down to how badly you want that new equipment.......

·
Registered
359 Posts
An item is worth what people are willing to pay for it plain and simple. Buying used is a risk and most people take that risk into account when they decide how much they're willing to pay for something. How much you think something is worth is irrelevant to what it's actually worth on the market. I have some things that are worth more money to ME than any reasonable person would expect to pay, but that doesn't mean those items are actually worth that much. If other items similar to yours on the used market are typically selling in X price range you're going to be hard pressed to get more than that regardless of how much you paid for it, or how much the item is worth to you. It's just economics, it's not personal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Since when does something like a 2 year old bow worth less than half of what you bought it for?? Like wise for quality accessories??? Tired of getting these low ball offers everyday on **** I worked my ass off to afford. I guess it is a good thing I am ditching the technology and and getting in tune with myself..

Rant over!

I’m with you. Just sold a 1000 bow from 2017 for 375.... feel like I have it away

·
Back Yard Champion
28,947 Posts

Rant over!

I'm not going to be polite like some have posted. Here you go; "Welcome to the world of archery." Suck it up because that's the way of things.............

·
Registered
359 Posts
Instead of whining and complaining on the general forum, just politely say No to an offer you don’t want to accept.

It works wonders if you aren’t a Richard about it.
It really does. As a buyer if I make an offer I think is fair and the seller has a much higher price in mind, but is snarky or just an *** about it I'll move on, confident I can find another seller I'd rather deal with. If they return my politeness I'm much more likely to come up closer to their asking price(assuming it's within a reasonable range). As a seller I can't remember ever dealing with an insultingly low offer because before I decide on a price I look at the market both here and elsewhere to see what that item is typically selling for, then price it in the middle of that range. If I want to sell it fast I price it at the bottom of that range. The handful of things I've sold on here, including a few bows, moved pretty quickly.

·
Registered
50,366 Posts
What Sonny said, been this way for ever, not likely to ever change.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Example: A local gentleman has a Mathews Conquest 4 with a 5 pin sight and an 8 inch hydraulic stabilizer. He is asking $1200. That set up is not worth any more than $500. Maybe $550 at the most.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I agree that depreciation sucks. If there wasn’t an updated model every year it wouldn’t be as bad. My recurve is a $1000 new, I paid $550 TMD aa a beautiful used model and saved the difference. Same with my compound. I’m done with new bows. Too many people need the new model every year and are selling last years at half the cost for me to keep up.

·
Registered
152 Posts
It almost sounds like you've never sold archery equipment (or anything else) before. If you can't sell it for what you think it's worth, then feel free to keep it. It's really not that complicated.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Goes in cycles. Used RV's are selling like crazy with covid. Cant find a decent one and surely cant find one at a decent used price. Supply and demand.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Rant over!

You can put it on eBay with a reserve then there will be no lowball offers.
people who buy used merchandise are taking a risk and looking for a deal.
If it’s priced so close to new you might as well just buy it new.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Some good posts here. I used to be able to afford whatever I wanted. Now, a retiree on social security I have to "squeeze" every penny. Hate to be that "lowball guy" but life is like that. Still looking for a used loggy or used summit bushmaster...at a discount. I tried trading stuff but no takers. So finally sold other things so hopefully can have enough cash to buy one used. I used to walk around and if I had less than 250 tucked in the wallet I thought I was "short." Now, if I have 20 tucked I feel like I am set. FWIW....look around. The economy might be heading for an even greater downturn. That used stand in three months might just go for 50 bucks! Soon, it might be a buyer's market.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts