Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i have recently gotten into traditional archery and am slightly addicted.. However im shooting a lower poundage 37# at 26" to be exact and am wondering is this enough to kill a turkey ethically? I know what my state law reads as legal but i want experiance from you guys to tell me what you have encountered about it. Any input let me know and i get if you put the arrow in the "right" spot it will kill a turkey but i mainly want to know will i be able to go through the wing or if the turkey is facing away will it go through the vertabrae at that poundage. Also im not shooting beyond 15 yards as i know greater the range = less kenetic energy... Alrighty lets hear some responses please!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I own three bows. All of them fall between 37#-42#. I harvest white tail deer with all of them. If my 37# bow can take down a white tail deer, it'll take down a turkey. A turkey is just a smaller target and that's it in a nutshell.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
a little more weight would help, you have to remember that the other poster has a much longer draw length than you. If I remember correctly a longer draw length with the same weight at that draw length (so in this case [email protected] vs [email protected]) the longer draw length will have much more energy transferred to the arrow.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
No it's not a good idea.
I've shot dozens of Turkeys with 45lb-70lb bows and have come to belive their harder to kill than small deer.
Keep in mind that Night wing is not new to this stuff,but you are and there's a huge difference between making informed decisions based on past expereince,,,and hoping something will work for you because it worked for somebody else..,,,,,life just doesn't work like that,if it was all kids would listen to their parents and life would always be easy,,,,yeah right:).

·
Registered
135 Posts
I say go for it! It is going to be more about a sharp broadhead an d putting the arrow in the right place than what poundage your bow is!

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I say go for it! It is going to be more about a sharp broadhead an d putting the arrow in the right place than what poundage your bow is!
That is true, the only thing is that deer move, which means your perfect arrow placement could turn into a not so perfect. That is where the extra KE and momentum will very helpful

·
Registered
549 Posts
If you are hunting from a blind and you get the birds in tight your set up will kill birds all day. The key here is having the confedence in your shooting ability. Use at least 10 grains per pound of arrow weight and the sharpest broadhead you can get, put the arrow where it needs to go and you will be roasting turkey in no time.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
more wives tails....I have hunted with 40-45# longbows for most of my life and never had one "jump the string" because the bow was too slow. There are two reasons they are moving, 1. Either they hunch because thats what they do before they run or they were spooked for some other reason. KE has nothing to do with speed as well. Now if yoru shooting 800 gr+ arrows I would think about using a heavier poundage bow. I have recently chronographed my bows at our club and the difference between 53#, 51# and 44# were all within 40 fps or so with roughly the same weight arrows.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
more wives tails....I have hunted with 40-45# longbows for most of my life and never had one "jump the string" because the bow was too slow. There are two reasons they are moving, 1. Either they hunch because thats what they do before they run or they were spooked for some other reason. KE has nothing to do with speed as well. Now if yoru shooting 800 gr+ arrows I would think about using a heavier poundage bow. I have recently chronographed my bows at our club and the difference between 53#, 51# and 44# were all within 40 fps or so with roughly the same weight arrows.
who mentioned the bow being too slow?

The problem is that a bow with more KE can break through more bone. Ashby's studies prove this. Go ahead and call additional energy, being momentum or ke, as being wives tales, but the thing is that these are facts. An object with more energy is more difficult to stop compared to an object with less energy. A heavier bow with a longer draw length with all other things being equal will transfer more energy to the arrow compared to a bow of lower weight

Now low poundage bows like 30-40lbs will kill a deer just as dead, but murphy's law seems to pop up for me

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for info

Thanks guys for all the input. I have always tried to do right with my equipment as far as making sure its sighted in and broadheads sharp ect ect..
Im very excited about using my long bow i just wanted to know i was going to be doing more good than bad with trying to shoot a turkey. i understand the shaft being alittle heavier could help get better penatration so i will take that into concideration for my set up. Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
549 Posts
"KE has nothing to do with speed" Gotta disagree here, KE is speed over a given weight. The whole reason for a heavy arrow is to retain as much of the bows energy and transfer it to the given target. And 40fps means a whole world of difference in a stick bow.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
A 40fps spread between bows of 44-53,,,,,,,man how long did it take to make up that BS.

KE has nothing to do with arrow speed,,,,maybe you should read up a little on archery before posting on archerey sites,,,KE is a direct result of arrow speed for christs sake,,,how could they not be related.

I just hope Adam is still reading this thread so he can get a real idea of the BS some of you lot are trying to blow up his tail pipe.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/album.php?u=79740

Here are some pictures that I posted last year of a 2-1/2 year old buck shot during the firearm season that I shot point blank with my old 40# Proline. I don't remember the exact specs but I remember weighting and chronographing the arrows with these approximate specs:

440 gr 1816 w/125 magnus 2 blade
146 FPS
21# KE

Your bow should have no problem with turkeys. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
A 40fps spread between bows of 44-53,,,,,,,man how long did it take to make up that BS.

KE has nothing to do with arrow speed,,,,maybe you should read up a little on archery before posting on archerey sites,,,KE is a direct result of arrow speed for christs sake,,,how could they not be related.

I just hope Adam is still reading this thread so he can get a real idea of the BS some of you lot are trying to blow up his tail pipe.
Guess some of us are not know it all's like you, keep up the good work. KE is a direct result of speed and mass (weight). You can get the same KE from a slower heavier arrow than you can from a faster lighter one. That was my point. But hey guess us "target" folk are just fools....Cheers

·
Registered
8,850 Posts
KE is a direct result of speed and mass (weight). You can get the same KE from a slower heavier arrow than you can from a faster lighter one. That was my point. But hey guess us "target" folk are just fools....Cheers
Correct, but to better clarify.... speed is nothing but a measure, making your second sentence all the more correct. Speed is just the derivative. Increasing/decreasing energy inputs relative to mass are what is at play. IOW, speed is a result of KE, the extra energy the mass is given above its resting mass energy.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Guess some of us are not know it all's like you, keep up the good work. KE is a direct result of speed and mass (weight). You can get the same KE from a slower heavier arrow than you can from a faster lighter one. That was my point. But hey guess us "target" folk are just fools....Cheers
Things are going over your head, a heavier bow will shoot faster than a lighter bow assuming all other factors are equal.
If two bows shoot the same arrow, the heavier bow penetrate further than the lighter bow

Common sense bowmanjay, no point in fighting physics

1 - 20 of 20 Posts