Votes: 52 41.9%
  • Wait for another animals you can get close too

Votes: 72 58.1%
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Banned
6,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A 60 yard shot at a Bedded Mule deer, unaware of your presence, but you cant get any closer.

You are proficient at that range and there is a 10 mph crosswind, is it a good shot?

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
I have never shot at a bedded animal, but I have learned through some 3d experiences that it can be a tough shot. I think I would try to wait him out until he stood.

·
Registered
851 Posts
The key to the question was, "You are proficient at that range..."

Yes, if that was the case.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Neither

I didn't answer the poll cause I didn't like either answer....unless daylight is about to fade away, just wait. relax and calm your breathing and wait for that bad boy to stand up...be at full draw when he gets up...

Also, unless you actually do a lot of shooting in the wind and know what a 10 mph wind looks and feels like and know how much your arrow is going to be off at that distance I wouldn't attempt it....

I think I personally would back off and try again...but maybe during my wait the wind will die down too ?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I would at least wait for him to stand. Once that bad boy gets up to stretch, he'll be done for.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I would wait on him to stand up, or see if I could possibly get a little closer. I just don't really like a 60 yard bedded shot, even if I'm proficient at that range. I would much rather wait for him to stand or if he doesn't before legal shooting time is over, atleast take a shot and try to get closer before you take the bedded shot.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
If it was the last day of the season I would wait till he stood up, and take the shot. I am comfortable at that range, but wouldn't shoot while he was bedded at that range. If you don't want to wait, just whistle and be ready.

·
Banned
6,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bowhunt_n said:
If it was the last day of the season I would wait till he stood up, and take the shot. I am comfortable at that range, but wouldn't shoot while he was bedded at that range. If you don't want to wait, just whistle and be ready.
Okay, Question for you Muley hunters since im only on my second season.

Why not a slightly quartering away bedded shot?

·
Registered
14,295 Posts
Josh Michaelis said:
NW nebraska Public land, you just ended a 5 hour stalk and he is the biggest buck you have seen on your 6 day hunt
Oh yeah, I'm flinging a stick for sure baby!! :shade:

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Josh Michaelis said:
385 grain Gold Tip Xt's topped off with a Rocky mountain traditions that you have already had passthroughs on deer out to 46 yards with.
If you were shooting slick tricks I would say you might have a chance at pulling the shot off, but with those Rocky Mountains there is just no way.:D

·
Registered
16,024 Posts
Josh Michaelis said:
385 grain Gold Tip Xt's topped off with a Rocky mountain traditions that you have already had passthroughs on deer out to 46 yards with.
As soon as he stands up it's flyin

·
Banned
6,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
slinger09 said:
If you were shooting slick tricks I would say you might have a chance at pulling the shot off, but with those Rocky Mountains there is just no way.:D
Come on slingr, those traditions would be through him so fast at that range he may not even wake up, I got the goods to prove it ;)

the tricks would whistle him up so you can get a standing shot after you missed the first time :D

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Josh Michaelis said:
Nope, I just want to make sure that I can tell people about my hunt if I connect on a muley this fall,:teeth:
I see. I'll have to wait and see how it turns out as well. So I know whether I can talk about my hunt this fall as well.:wink:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts