Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is a pic of my buck i got last year and the euro mount i did on him. i did not make the stand but i now have a pattern and can more more like it.

i am very pleased with my first attempt and will probably do it again if i am able to get another buck (this was my frist buck)

IMAG0760.jpg

enjoy

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Looks good

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
It makes a nice trophy.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Congrats man looks good. Dont boil your next one just simmer nice and slow. Looks like you got it too hot and the nose broke off. If you do it slow you can keep all the delicate stuff around the nose.

Google the 5 hour euro mount done over on taxidermy.net

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats man looks good. Dont boil your next one just simmer nice and slow. Looks like you got it too hot and the nose broke off. If you do it slow you can keep all the delicate stuff around the nose.

Google the 5 hour euro mount done over on taxidermy.net
thanks for the advise i will look it up.

·
Registered
286 Posts
quickcat18 i see your from michigan my buddy camos euro mounts if your interested.
just pm me if your interested
skull camo.jpg

·
Registered
286 Posts
here is a pic of my buck i got last year and the euro mount i did on him. i did not make the stand but i now have a pattern and can more more like it.

i am very pleased with my first attempt and will probably do it again if i am able to get another buck (this was my frist buck)

View attachment 1150315

enjoy
that is a nice job you did more creative then i am thats for sure i cant build nothing lol

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How long did it take ya from start to finish? Looks Great!!
it only took me about 4 tedious hours of boiling and scraping to get the skull cleaned then I let it dry for a week and then cleaned it one more time in the sink just to make sure I go everything. after that I just let it dry for a few months mostly bc I got busy and just did not take the time to finish it. the final step was about 4-5 days soaking in bleach and water. then a couple days to dry out then I mounted it to the stand. I was not in a big rush so it took me longer but with a few breaks where I did nothing to it but let it sit in a box on paper towel and dry.

Few things I would do different is not bleach for so long it made areas of it more brittle, and I would do better about the boiling as mentioned above.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Next time I suggest trying the Masceration method. it stinks, but the end result is much cleaner, with no broke bones.

Looks good though.

Here is my first attempt. Masceration stinks and take a few weeks or month, but well worth it. I never bleached this one as I prefer the natural look better.

What I liked about this method was the nasal bones even stay intact. looks much better with them in there than without. And with boiling/simmering or even beetles you tend to get these broken.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Nice job! Here's the one I did a few years ago. I still need to find a nice pedestal to put him on. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1314762152.810626.jpg

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I gave a local taxi a place to turkey hunt and in return he did this one for me. I don't know what method he uses but I think it turned out great.
2011-08-19 20.38.03(1).jpg

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts