Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon, I just have a quick question and was wondering if any taxidermists out there could help me out. I have 4 european mounts I would like to finish up. Needless to say I have been very complacement with work and college. I am not a taxadermist but like to do things on my own. Anyway I was lazy and let the antlers get bleached by the sun, literally as white as the skull itself :(

Does anyone out there know of a remedy to bring them back to a normal antler color. None of the deer shot were chocolate horned.

Thank you for your time,

Craig

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I'm not a taxidermist either! However I picked up a tube of "Raw Umber" (color) at Michaels Craft store. Mixed just a pinch of it with 1/4 cup mineral spirits then brush or wipe it on the antlers. It should be very liquid not a paste when mixed. Use smooth long strokes so it does not blotch. Mine turned out great...have photo if needed.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I'm not a taxidermist either! However I picked up a tube of "Raw Umber" (color) at Michaels Craft store. Mixed just a pinch of it with 1/4 cup mineral spirits then brush or wipe it on the antlers. It should be very liquid not a paste when mixed. Use smooth long strokes so it does not blotch. Mine turned out great...have photo if needed.
Could you please post a pic

·
Registered
4 Posts
wood stain works great and it is very easy. You can pick how dark you want them. Just dip a rag into the stain and rub it on the horns!

·
Registered
262 Posts
It really depends on the condition of the antlers. After being left in the elements it is possible they have become very porous, and applying either of the above mentioned could have disastrous results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts