Archery Talk Forum banner

european mounts

10208 29
hey all. shot my first buck last night. rattled a 7 pt in within 20 yards. what a night. :darkbeer:
anyways i plan on doing a european mount on him and was wanting to see how some of you display your mounts. do any of you mount on wooden plaques? just trying to get some ideas.
thanks
SD
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
786 Posts
right now i just have mine hanging on a small rectangle of 'bead board'.

someday when i get a creative streak i plan to come up with something better. i am thinking maybe an old barn board or pice of drift wood

· Registered
5,756 Posts
I just have mine sitting on top of my computer desk its a small buck that i just wanted to try to european mount it. It looks pretty good except for the bleached antlers.:confused:

View attachment 462517

· Registered
1,989 Posts
The ones I've seen that I like best are mounted on plaques but with the tooth portion removed. They cut em in a straight line along the back of the eye socket to the tip of the nose.

· Registered
3,376 Posts
With some elbow grease and time you will have a great mount that is a heck of alot cheaper than a head mount.

I use a presure washer after I boil mine. Cuts the time down a ton and gets all the liitle meat pieces off!!!!!!!:darkbeer:

· # 9 # 9 # 9......
2,081 Posts
I make fairly simple placques with pedestal bases for my EMs. I like the deer to be the focal point. All of mine are based on a similar template that allows the placque to be reversed by loosening a small screw so you can display the skull either on a horizontal surface such as a table or dresser or hang it on the wall. I like to use a variety of woods to give character to individual skulls.

Horn Antler Reindeer Antelope Deer

Wood Table Furniture Antique

Wood

Good luck in your decision and congratulations on your kill!:darkbeer::darkbeer:

HR

· Phil-n-Weir'ed
8,382 Posts
I make fairly simple placques with pedestal bases for my EMs. I like the deer to be the focal point. All of mine are based on a similar template that allows the placque to be reversed by loosening a small screw so you can display the skull either on a horizontal surface such as a table or dresser or hang it on the wall. I like to use a variety of woods to give character to individual skulls.

View attachment 462588

View attachment 462589

View attachment 462591

Good luck in your decision and congratulations on your kill!:darkbeer::darkbeer:

Do these kind of hang on the wooden dowl, or do you secure them to the plague?
HR
Do the skulls kind of hang on the wooden dowl, or do you secure them to the plaque?

· Registered
297 Posts
Do ya'll use the Sal Soda (or whatever its called) or anything else while you're boiling them to make the meat and fat come off easier.....
Use DAWN dish soap about a 1/4 cup or so to say 4 gals of water. More detergent the better, your mainly trying to remove fat from the bone.

Wrap tape or what you can around the antlers to protect them. Boil in water submerged to the antlers for 1 hour at a time. Pull out hose off with garden hose or pressure washer and pick away all loose meat tendon etc that you can. Repeat till its as clean as you can get it. Dont boil it more then 1 hour straight at a time as this will soften the bone too much and you can damage it.

After its as clean as possible go to wally world and buy enough hydrogen peroxide to completly submerged the skull but not the antlers. I wrap the bases in electrical tape as tight as possible and submerge the head till its about 1 inch below the antlers. Boil it for about 1 hour. Its going to bubble up and foam as soon as it gets hot, keep a small bottle or something similar of hot water to pour over the electrical tape to keep the peroxide rinsed off as it foams up. Ladle the peroxide over any exposed skull part. Pull it out in one hour and hose it off good. Let it dry and you'll have the prettiest WHITE skull you've ever seen.
Top it off with a coat of Clear coat spray can and your good to go..

If you part of your antlers get enough peroxide on it long enough they'll turn white also. A little bit of wood stain (oak) will darken them right up again.

I'll post pictures of my elk I just did that came out looking really sharp..

Have fun its not that hard to do.

Top Pin

· Registered
1,391 Posts
After you get in all cleaned up, go to the beauty isle, get a box of "basic white" and some 30% peroxide. Mix it together until you have a paste and apply with a brush. Let sit overnight and it will come off easy the next day, very very white and you dont have to chance getting the antlers bleached.

· Registered
1,819 Posts
Heres mine that I had done last year. Cost me a whopping $65 to have it done including the pedestal.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.