Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you ever been approached by the police when you were hunting? This past summer I was shooting groundhogs on a farm I have permission to hunt (completely legal). Im shooting away wacking whistepigs when the SWAT team shows up:mg: ya im not kidding either. They didn't know a thing about guns or hunting. The first thing he says is its illegal to shooting bows and guns in this town! I pull out the bylaw outlining the skirts of the town that allow discharge of weapons and he shut up pretty quick.

·
Registered
684 Posts
bet that felt pretty good!

Similar but not hunting story:

I went to buy a 10/22 and had my Son along (who was 1-2 years old at the time) and on the way home I hit the HOV lane in Denver. That lane is barricaded on both sides by concrete barriers and once you are in, you are in.

He was in a car seat in the back of my truck pretty much out of sight so I figured I might get pulled over....sure enough....

The look on the troopers face was priceless as he was walking up to the truck and saw my Son in the car seat in the back......

I rolled down the window and said:

"Is there a problem officer"?

·
Registered
394 Posts
holy sheep .... bat man....

SWAT?!?! HAD the game warden waitin where I parked my truck once.I was OK, but a few others where not so lucky:darkbeer:

·
Registered
10,964 Posts
not the cops, but I had a mountie climb into my tree stand In New Brunswick. Last year the ODNR came right into my gorund blind to check me, I have a concealed carry permit and they also patted me down when I clearly told them I wasnt' carrying a gun.

And today they checked me again!

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
I was approached by an police officer while squirrel hunting. I had my dad's vest on my 10/22 and 3-4 squirrel inside the vest. I was 10-11 years old.
Officer asks what I was doing.
Me "squirrel hunting"
Him "no you are not"
Me "yes sir I am"
him "No you are not" and he draws his gun......throws my new 10/22 across the creek into the road and handcuffs me and throws me in the car squirrels and all!! Took me in and got laughed at and they (police) made him buy me a new 10/22!!!

·
Registered
684 Posts
not the cops, but I had a mountie climb into my tree stand In New Brunswick. Last year the ODNR came right into my gorund blind to check me, I have a concealed carry permit and they also patted me down when I clearly told them I wasnt' carrying a gun.

And today they checked me again!
maybe he just "liked" you?

:eek:

·
Banned
9,743 Posts
I had Arizona DFG drive up a wash about 4 to 5 miles (4 wheel) one time near Roosevelt Lake to check me for a bear tag...he said i was spotted by aircraft...oh well...all was legal and they went on their way.:darkbeer:

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was approached by an police officer while squirrel hunting. I had my dad's vest on my 10/22 and 3-4 squirrel inside the vest. I was 10-11 years old.
Officer asks what I was doing.
Me "squirrel hunting"
Him "no you are not"
Me "yes sir I am"
him "No you are not" and he draws his gun......throws my new 10/22 across the creek into the road and handcuffs me and throws me in the car squirrels and all!! Took me in and got laughed at and they (police) made him buy me a new 10/22!!!
is this a true story:mg:

I still don't know why they sent the SWAT team. I was shooting them with my crossbow and apparently someone phoned in a gun threat and they showed up with the whole armored van deal. It was pretty funny. Just some guy on a farm busting hogs with a bow and they send armored vehicles.

·
Vendor
15,839 Posts
Ice fishing...
rash of ice house break ins on the news, some one reported us breaking into houses one morning as we were setting up...

Sheriff watched us from his cruiser for a couple hours, called a 4 wheel pick up out and drove out to check us out...
We laughed and said there aren't even any tracks in the snow by the houses...

Sheriff.. "Ya I watched you guys form shore..you don't seem to be causing any problems."

Wrote our Driver's License #'s down and left..never checked for fishing licenses, number of lines down, etc....I suppose that's a CO job.
I still tease my buddy...I can't go anywhere with you without getting into trouble!

·
Vendor
15,839 Posts
Just curious...
I know a CO can and does assist the police, but can a regular police officer make arrests for game violations? Just curious.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Many times. I started hunting in San Diego and had a piece of land that was open county land but close to multi-million $$ homes. The sheriff would get tons of calls and come check us.

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i don't think they are too interested in it and alot of them arent even familiar with the laws. I was never asked for my small game hunting license or my outdoors card when i was stopped.

·
Registered
112 Posts
A police office can not check your license or give grief so to speak.....It has to be, by law, a game warden...........:darkbeer:

·
Vendor
15,839 Posts
i don't think they are too interested in it and alot of them arent even familiar with the laws. I was never asked for my small game hunting license or my outdoors card when i was stopped.
What is an "outdoors card"

·
Registered
759 Posts
Antelope Hunting

On time while hunting Antelope in Colorado, setting in a ground blind watching a big buck slowly working his way down the trail which would put him in good bow range. I hear a vehicle drive up, the motor turns off, the buck turns and runs away, I had been watching him for over an hour, and I had been in the blind for about 6 hours! I look out, and lo and behold there stands the game ranger, he wants to check my license! I bet he didn't expect the ***** chewing that he received..to say I was hot was an understatement, I showed him my license and told him in no uncertain terms to get his dumb ***** out of my sight!

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On time while hunting Antelope in Colorado, setting in a ground blind watching a big buck slowly working his way down the trail which would put him in good bow range. I hear a vehicle drive up, the motor turns off, the buck turns and runs away, I had been watching him for over an hour, and I had been in the blind for about 6 hours! I look out, and lo and behold there stands the game ranger, he wants to check my license! I bet he didn't expect the ***** chewing that he received..to say I was hot was an understatement, I showed him my license and told him in no uncertain terms to get his dumb ***** out of my sight!
gotta love law enforcement

·
Registered
632 Posts
Wouldn't that be considered "beyond their scope"?

I think they may be able to refer a Conservation Officer to the scene if they suspect something but I can't imagine a police officer writing you a citation for violating a game law... I really don't know, I guess that's just my thoughts on it?

·
Registered
515 Posts
What is an "outdoors card"
In Ontario the outdoors card is like a credit card that your yearly license is stuck on, deer, moose, small game, bear, turkey. The card can be just hunting or fishing or a combo of both. They are valid for 3 yrs. then you have to buy another - just another way to suck money from us.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts