Archery Talk Forum banner

Ever bought bow without shooting it first?

1483 Views 49 Replies 48 Participants Last post by  Reacher
Those of you that have bought bows without shooting them before whats your opinion?
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
754 Posts
Yes

I bought my bear Instinct without shooting it first, I knew I wanted a short a2a single cam, got a good deal on year clearance and pulled the trigger. Got lucky, fits me well and I shoot it well.

My next bow, if it all possible, I would like to handle and draw a couple times before I buy it.

· Registered
3,486 Posts
actually did it twice and got lucky both times. my first one was a reflex excurtion that i bought online from bass pro shop. got it, loved it. was a great beginer bow. my next time was the one i have now, a hoyt ultra elite that i bought on here. again got it and loved it, but i already knew that i liked the way hoyts shot so it wasnt a big surprise. would i do it again, maybe, depending on how much i want the bow. i would say it is not a wise thing o do because i could have easily gotten it and just absolutly hated it, but i did love it.

· NC ASA Director
36,226 Posts
I think I always buy them before I shoot them. :confused:

· Registered
19,079 Posts
About 50-50 for me. Just depends on if I can test shoot one and its within reasonable driving distance.

· Registered
11,635 Posts
Yes. One for me, one for my wife, and one for a buddy. All have worked out great so far. :darkbeer:
I usually try to shoot bows before buying ones that are for me though, I just saw deal and jumped on it the one time. :embara: :wink:

Lien2

· Registered
2,332 Posts
Bought my Caribou from an online store with the understanding that I could return it if not happy. I shoot deflexed riser finger bows (42" min ATA & 8" min BH) and no one stocks them locally. Have bought a few used over the years from these types of classified ads and have been happy.

· Registered
92 Posts
I bought a 07 Commander without trying one as no one in my area had one at the time.
It's a miss for me as I not really liking the longer AtA. I'm use to short AtA bows that I use for treestand hunting or stalking. My little BEAR bow will have to do til next year.

Next time I'll try the bow out first. Maybe a Martin!

· Engee Potgieter
5,888 Posts
Have done it a few times, there are a few guys on here who's opinion I rate highly and will buy a bow unseen if they say it's a shooter.

· AT Classifieds Addict
2,440 Posts
Of the four bows I have owned in the last three years, I have never shot one first. One brand new Martin I sold before I even shot (deal on Ebay), Bowtech Extreme VFT, Guardian, Allegiance, and a Black Ice for my wife have all been purchased here on the classifieds. Only Guardian was a disappointment. I wish I had the luxury of shooting bows first but there are no reputable shops within 100 miles so lots of research and opinions of members here on AT.

· Registered
1,212 Posts
I'm a lefty, too. Not to many shops have them in stock. Maybe Ned Flanders' leftorium

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.