Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 284 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a pro shop today having a bow checked out that I accidently dry fired. I had it checked out by experienced bow technicians at two different shops and the bow appears to be completely undamaged and is still shooting great. I'll certainly be keeping an eye on it for awhile. One pro shop owner said they have a least 20 dry fires a year in their shop and maybe 3 to 5 of these bows end up being damaged. I'm curious about the experiences of others. What bow did you dry fire and what was the result?

·
Registered
682 Posts
ya this summer at a 3d shoot.i was learning to shoot a thumb release and got so caught up in using back tension and proper form that i forgot to nock an arrow.boy the release felt good too except for the sound of the dry fire.had no damage to the bow and finished the shoot.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Sad to say i've dry fired a few. Man i'm bad at that. Never again though. I dry fired a Hoyt in a scheels, did it to my Reflex Grizzly, and half ways did it to my Vectrix. The string was about half way let down before it slipped. All 3 times never had any problems thank God. Maybe bad things could have happened had they been a different brand.

·
Premium Member
7,649 Posts
If you shoot archery long enough it can happen to anyone, just not me. (lol)

·
Registered
271 Posts
a few years ago i got caught up in the same thing with a back tension and did it not once but twice the same day and got away with it, i have since been lucky enough not to do it . the bow was a ross cardiac 31 on 60# i still shoot it 50-75 arrows everyday out of her

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
ya this summer at a 3d shoot.i was learning to shoot a thumb release and got so caught up in using back tension and proper form that i forgot to nock an arrow.boy the release felt good too except for the sound of the dry fire.had no damage to the bow and finished the shoot.
Same here, Set the sight hooked the string couple of deep breaths eyed the 12 drawed settled the pin on the 12 ring let out half my breath pin on target and pulled into my release and bam!!! The bad thing is that my follow through was priceless. My mathews xl did not hold up, new limbs and cams and it came back to life

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
twice.

both on diamond bows.

Took bow apart, checked axles, cams, limbs.

Everything was perfect... except for my self steem.

I'm an idiot.

·
Banned
444 Posts
Dry fired a Bear Element and it took it like a champ. :beer:

·
Registered
357 Posts
The first shot out of my ross cr331 was a dry fire I'm sorry to say but it was fine.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
my kid started shooting this spring, and has already had a dry fire. PSE chaos. everything was fine still shooting great.

·
Registered
537 Posts
my dad was target shooting with his switchback and had his blow up in full draw. arrow was knocked..... he still does not know what happended. both limbs and string was toast! did not get hurt

·
Hoyt Nation Life Member
15,077 Posts
I hear they sound like shotguns going off.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
I have dry fired at lest 3 of my former bows and never had a problem. Several months ago I dry fired my 82nd Airborne and really screwed things up. The limbs took it, but I turned my top cam into a pretzel and ruined the string and one cable.

Automan

·
Registered
835 Posts
I was at a pro shop today having a bow checked out that I accidently dry fired. I had it checked out by experienced bow technicians at two different shops and the bow appears to be completely undamaged and is still shooting great. I'll certainly be keeping an eye on it for awhile. One pro shop owner said they have a least 20 dry fires a year in their shop and maybe 3 to 5 of these bows end up being damaged. I'm curious about the experiences of others. What bow did you dry fire and what was the result?
not me personally but seen a 2005 Browning Illusion dry fired at 70#'s and bothing happened to it. Checked out fine. Guessing the supressors they used to use like the Mathews style saved the bow!

·
Registered
899 Posts
i dry fired an 07 pearson z34 and had it checked from three pro shops lol thats right three bowshop in gulfport, kens bayou in slidell and louisiana outdoors in pearl river(a matthews dealer) and all said bow was perfect, and trust me it sounded nasty

·
Registered
871 Posts
Did it on my bear instinct,scared the crap out of me,could have swore I knocked a arrow.Everything was fine, the string chubs went sailing but everything was good.

1 - 20 of 284 Posts