Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This head seems like it has been around forever and still gets good reviews. My question is, has anyone used it and had a negative experience? I have not used it, but may this year because of a little KE reduction. I'm not sure what to think about the ends of the blades being so close to the tip.

·
Registered
7,341 Posts
I have used the steel head 125's with great results. My nephew has used the 100's though. He has shot quite a few deer and
has never lost one using them. Just make sure the blade screws are tight and you will be fine.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Target butts and deer are two completely different things. I have lost track of how many deer I have killed with these nasty little heads. Going try the 1.5" heads this year.

Here is an example of a Steelhead blood trail start to finish. It was less than 40 yards.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Yes I have had a terrible experience while using Steelheads. About four years ago I decided to try Steelheads so I purchased some for me and my three children to hunt whitetails with here in Alabama. Steelheads caused me two major problems:
1. I had to give up a favorite pasttime, bloodtrailing. No longer could I show off my above-average blood trailing skills. A blind person could have followed the short blood trails.
2. Steelheads made my back hurt. My back still hurts from dragging out all the deer we killed with those heads!

Ala Archer

·
Registered
13,108 Posts
really... i shot them at an orange with a target behind it and they opened on the orange...thats pretty quick in my book
I thought about using them until I shot a couple into a target and the blades never opened.

·
bowonlywhitetails
16,757 Posts
Im one for one so far with them, they will be on my arrows this fall.

·
Registered
23,628 Posts
Nope

·
Colorblind blood trailer
2,566 Posts
No bad experiences here. Haven't had any issues with deflection on quartering shots and never had an issue with penetration or blades opening either. Good solid heads.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
The first buck my brother ever shot was with a Steelhead and I do not think the head opened. We tracked the buck for about 200 yards with out blood. We were lucky to find him while we were doing a grid search. The entrance and exit holes were exatcly the same. I have buddies who have a good luck with the but after this hands on experience we stopped using them.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts

·
Registered
10,381 Posts
I've been using the 100s and 125s for the last three years and have shot my last 5 deer with them. Excellent results and I will be using the 125s on an upcoming elk hunt. I hope I get to try one out on a nice bull or cow. BTW, I was a fixed head user for 25+ years before I decided to try these. They are an awesome head. I can't imagine them not opening unless they got wet and froze shut. My entrance holes have always been about 3/4" in the hide but quickly are open fully when through the hide. Exit holes have always been full size.

·
Registered
23,628 Posts
Anyone try the 100 grain Steelheads XL's with the 1.5" cut?
Yes...and I prefer the regular Steelheads over it...but my personal favorite will always be the Hammerhead...no matter what animal is in your sights...it's as good as dead if you do your part.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
been hunting them for years now, no problems, great heads worked their majic on about 2 dozen deer

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
I thought about using them until I shot a couple into a target and the blades never opened.
Just a foolish reply about a legendary performer!!!

Of course, there ALWAYS has to be one on every thread about b-heads!!! :rolleyes:

What happened is that the blades deployed and then they obviously fold back up as you pull the arrows. It can be pretty difficult to see the small 3 blade slashes from a 1 1/8" cut on a target!!!

I've tested Steelheads on practically every medium most folks would think of trying and from tomato and apple to steel barrels..... Steelheads open and penetrate like no other! In fact, I've NEVER known a Steelhead not to open..... it would be nearly impossible for a free floating blade to not open.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts