Archery Talk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not a regular member here but I tried to post this on the Mathews website and it got deleted... i asked about why my post was deleted and that post got deleted... now every time I post anything they keep deleting it... getting really frustrated and thought i would share these pictures with other fellow archers...

This is what happens when a bow is pressed incorrectly...

My friend purchased this bow from R&M guns in El Campo, TX... the bow was already set up when he bought it... the story they gave him was that someone ordered the bow with all the accessories and when it came time to pay for it the guy changed his mind... so they sold it to my friend as a new bow and had him fill out the warranty card on it. It is a Mathews Reezen 6.5.

He shot 2 arrows at the shop with the bow and then brought it home... he took it out of the case when he got home and shot 1 arrow... no problem... 2nd arrow he was at full draw trying to line up his pin and KABLAM!!!

The bottom limb broke and the cam popped up and hit him in the wrist... the string popped him in the face.

The issues still are not resolved with the shop yet and my friend is O.K... just a cut on his face from the string and a cut on the wrist from the cam. He was very fortunate to not be hit in the eyes. The shop was trying to say that he dry fired the bow or left it in his truck to get hot... I talked to a guy at the Mathews factory and he told me undoubtedly the bow was pressed incorrectly. Here are the pics...

Attachments

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
Damn!

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
ouch, never seen one break like that, glad he's alright. i can see why mathews dosent want that on there board though...:zip:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a Mathews bow and a General Archery issue... i broke no rules by posting these pictures... yet my post was deleted... sounds like they didnt want the pictures circulated... poor reason to drive a contributing member from their board... JMHO

·
Speed Thrills and Kills
4,690 Posts
wow that sucks hes lucky he didnt get hurt there is a lot of stress on any limb at full draw....i dont see why this wouldnt be a warrenty issue with Mathews....if it was bought new there shouldnt be any problem gettin it replaced....have you tried to contact another dealer to get some other ideas....its possible it could have been pressed wrong but leaving it in the truck to get hot? thats a new one

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
I've seen a TON of broken limbs over the years. from EVERY manufacturer (including Hoyt & Barnsdale)

Looks like "press abuse" on that pic or there was issue with the limb pivot/rocker.

·
Registered
783 Posts
mathews deleted it cuase "there is never a problem with a mathews":awkward::lol3::jksign: finally tho i like the fact there is pics with a bow giving way tho.... for all you out there i have said many times i dont care what bow it is or what company it is fromthey all give way 1 way or another. hope your buddy is ok !!:wink:

welcome to archery talk it is a great place :darkbeer:

·
Registered
51,099 Posts
Mathews should have NO problem covering it. More than likely it was the fault of how it was pressed , there are many shops around that don't have the proper press for todays bows. The shop should have no problem getting new limbs for your friend, not his fault period. Why the post was deleated????????? who knows.:wink:

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
wow that sucks hes lucky he didnt get hurt there is a lot of stress on any limb at full draw....i dont see why this wouldnt be a warrenty issue with Mathews....if it was bought new there shouldnt be any problem gettin it replaced....have you tried to contact another dealer to get some other ideas....its possible it could have been pressed wrong but leaving it in the truck to get hot? thats a new one
1. if it was pressed wrong, WHY should MATHEWS have to replace the limbs?
shouldnt that be the responsibility of the shop that pressed it?

2. I saw a Razortec, with a major limb issue that was left in a truck. The bow was so HOT you couldnt touch it.....

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
wow that is sad to hear. glad your buddy is alright. thats could have been really bad. and i agree with being pressed wrong. it would amaze you how many dealers ignore manufactures suggestion on pressing their bows. ALL mathews bows come with a little tag on the string that says back out 5 full turns and 10 fullturns on the monster BEFORE pressing. that right there is a classic sign of a bow that was pressed while maxed out. hope everything gets resolved and everyone involved is ok.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
I have seen busted limbs before.

Also seen limbs busted like that, I also think that it was pressed wrong as the part that broke is where a press often puts a lot of pressure.

I have also been a long time member of the Mathews forum although I don't go there as much as I used to. It is very well run forum and this forum could learn a few things from it and I still consider a lot if its members friends.

Also my experiance with Mathews directly has been first class, I even had one of their staff ring me here in the UK a few years ago over a Mathews forum shirt and some other clothing that was not sold in UK shops thanks again Shay if you see this.

Although my experiance with Mathews is first class some of their dealers like all companies are not as good. I would be talking to your dealer if I was you.

Hope you get the bow sorted:darkbeer:

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
First sorry to hear about your buddies bow,at least he didn't get hurt seriously. Second to bad you had to find out the truth about the mathews forum the hard way. They want everyone to see the world through Mathews colored glasses over there. You can't post facts over there,unless it ALWAYS makes Mathews look good. There is no reason they should have deleted your post,as it's not Mathews fault the bow was pressed wrong. The dealer screwed this one up,and should be eating the bill to fix the bow.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
First sorry to hear about your buddies bow,at least he didn't get hurt seriously. Second to bad you had to find out the truth about the mathews forum the hard way. They want everyone to see the world through Mathews colored glasses over there. You can't post facts over there,unless it ALWAYS makes Mathews look good. There is no reason they should have deleted your post,as it's not Mathews fault the bow was pressed wrong. The dealer screwed this one up,and should be eating the bill to fix the bow.
THANK YOU!! Maybe if a few more of the "BAD" dealers had to take responsabilty for their mistakes, they would learn how to do things properly.....

You would think that the boys on the Mathews forum would want to use this thread to their advantage.......for instance...

"this is what happens when"

·
Registered
46 Posts
so what kinds of presses are too harsh on bows? are ez presses the only ones that do it right or will an apple be just fine if the limbs are backed out enough?

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
if using an apple buy adapters. same for the sure loc x-press. the ez press was designed with past parrallel limb bows and pre stressed limb bows in mind.

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
... I talked to a guy at the Mathews factory and he told me undoubtedly the bow was pressed incorrectly...
I'd agree with him.

I also have no doubt that your friend will be up and running in no time.

·
Time Flies
13,281 Posts
if using an apple buy adapters. same for the sure loc x-press. the ez press was designed with past parrallel limb bows and pre stressed limb bows in mind.
Yep. It looks to me like that bow was pressed by an X-Press without the adapter, and since the limbs are parallel on the Reezen, in order to give themselves enough movement on the rollers, the shop owner had to start pressing the bow with the pressure point right next to the pocket. How stupid can one be? EZ Press works great on the parallel limb bows, and all bows for that matter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree that this is NOT a Mathews issue... I shoot a Mathews bow myself and this was a dealer issue. The dealer is saying that he will take care of the issue with my buddy but it has not been handled yet... we had to get Mathews involved to help speed the process along.

As far as the post being deleted... I firmly believe that if I had made the exact same post and it was another manufacturer's bow, the post would not have been deleted... it was just the moderators wanting to cover up the picture...

and now they are deleting my other posts too... I guess they can't technically kick me off the site because I havent broken any rules... but they can push me away gently which is what they are doing... its really ashamed because I enjoy the site and have been a member for almost 3 years :cry:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.