Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im talkin before daylight or after dark. I had a deer come under me this morning at 5:35am 10minutes after i got settled in. It was alone so i was figuring it might be a buck.

I wanted to shine the light on it but was afraid it might spook it or ruin the stand. Didnt wanna take a chance in case he strolled back through later.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I would never shine a deer with a weapon...its illegal in PA to spotlight from a truck with a weapon

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would never shine a deer with a weapon...its illegal in PA to spotlight from a truck with a weapon
I meant sitting in your stand and one walks under you.

·
Registered
13,450 Posts
your kidding right.. ? please say yes. please

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Keep trying but never seem to be able to get them to drink out of the Mason Jar:darkbeer:......LOL

Oh wrong type of Shineing.. Yeah I've had my Red headlamp on and had them walk right under me(since they can't see red, don't see the light) 4 years ago I was climbing the tree in my climber and heard something. I was only 7 or 8 feet up so I stopped and scanned the area with the red light and saw 2 eyes coming my way. So I watched and it was a Doe and she walked right under me (I could have jumped on her back) and she missed stepping on my Bow by a few inches. She just walked off and I continued Climbing up!

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
19,383 Posts
I'm sure it's happened more than people are going to admit since it would be considered illegal everywhere as far as I know...

·
Registered
11,579 Posts
Who carries a light that big to the stand. Ha I usually just have a keychain flashlight to find my stand along with me.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys,im not talking about an actual spotlight. All i have is a cheap Wal-mart headlamp. Im talking about a small light you would normally use to get to your stand .

·
Registered
14,611 Posts
hehe :darkbeer:

In the stand, on the way to the stand and even driving down the road:darkbeer:lol

Let there be LIGHT

I love putting the laser light them too:eek:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Not me.

The first time I heard of this was when a buddy had someone hunting at his camp. He ran out of light when a buck came in and so he thought he may as well try to figure out what it was so he clicked his light on and saw the deer which immediately busted.

Personally, I don't get why you would ever want to make a deer spook in front of your stand.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Keep trying but never seem to be able to get them to drink out of the Mason Jar:darkbeer:......LOL

Oh wrong type of Shineing.. Yeah I've had my Red headlamp on and had them walk right under me(since they can't see red, don't see the light) 4 years ago I was climbing the tree in my climber and heard something. I was only 7 or 8 feet up so I stopped and scanned the area with the red light and saw 2 eyes coming my way. So I watched and it was a Doe and she walked right under me (I could have jumped on her back) and she missed stepping on my Bow by a few inches. She just walked off and I continued Climbing up!
I have a redlight on my headlamp but ive noticed deer seem to notice the IR in my game cam so i figured this one might notice if i used red.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not me.

The first time I heard of this was when a buddy had someone hunting at his camp. He ran out of light when a buck came in and so he thought he may as well try to figure out what it was so he clicked his light on and saw the deer which immediately busted.

Personally, I don't get why you would ever want to make a deer spook in front of your stand.
Thats the reason i asked. Does it spook them or is it possibly like a game cam flash and they notice but do not pay it much attention?

In your friend's case it spooked them.

Also,i wouldnt keep the light on them just a quick 2-3 second flash.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Nope. Illegal here in Michigan.
Dan

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I have a redlight on my headlamp but ive noticed deer seem to notice the IR in my game cam so i figured this one might notice if i used red.
I don't think its the IR....I listened to my IR camara once and it makes a Very, very slight sound and the deer I think notice that, not the IR. You'd have to listen to it very closely to see. I could be wrong, but I do know that Deer do not have the Receptors in there Eye to see Reds in the spectrum.

And If its Illegal for you to shine you headlamp on deer going to/from lock me up now. Becouse I always see eyeballs in the woods when I walk in or out when its dark!(And still freaks me out every time!) I think in the game laws their interpertation means From a Vehicle or elsewhere using something with higher output than a 1 or 2 watt LED!

·
Registered
460 Posts
here in Tenn. it's illeagal to use any type of light to locate deer regaurdless if you have a gun or not. But ther were times that I'd take my little girls ridin in my 4x4 and we would look for deer at night, they gotta kick otta watchin the deer.

·
Registered
6,770 Posts
hehe :darkbeer:

In the stand, on the way to the stand and even driving down the road:darkbeer:lol

Let there be LIGHT

I love putting the laser light them too:eek:
lol..let there be light, now that funny, the AT ethics police will spam this thread, all tho its illegal to shine in most states, I find no harm as long as it is not used to harvest the animal.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
yes

Years back I was on a hunt in Illinios. Pretty uneventfull. Last day of hunt I take climber and move to new area. Trim a few lanes. I see a few deer but no shooters. I stay in stand till last light, hoping for last minute miracle. Finally I start packing up, lower my bow to the ground. I hear a deer coming. I can only see his outline in the dark. He stops in my shooting lane. So I decide to shine a light on him. Big slammer sniffing the limbs were I trimmed a lane. 10 minutes to late.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts