Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every seven seconds in America a 200 inch plus buck is born. Don't you feel like that when you hang around your local archery shop for about 15 minutes and listen the stories the same goofballs tell each day. I will tell you now who the true disciples of Christ are. They are local archery shop personnel and owners. Why? because each day they must endure torture only Jesus himself could relate to. I love these guys who hang out for hours on end and BS about these unbelieve deer they are seeing but oooohhhhh it is so funny how none of them have ever killed anything over 130. To hear them talk their are 200+ deer everywhere. If these jokers spent less time hanging out and more time scouting where the biggins are known to be they may have a chance to capitalize. Nevertheless, they make interesting humor for me while I am actually spending money in the shop.
The point is that those guys need to chill out and stop telling so many fish tails I think the truth is you have know idea how big that buck's rack is until you actually score it. We have all been there and said, Man that thing has to be at least a 180 only to find out once it was scored it's a 148. Maybe we need to call these guys out more often. Oohh well ;)

·
Registered
132 Posts
I was in the archery shop last week buying some arrows and there was a guy in there that I couldnt stand. He kept going on and on about what he has seen and harvested. Then he starts asking every dumb question that he could think of about everything. For being such an experienced hunter he sure didnt know much. I just wish that some people could be a little more humble.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Well we sure don't have that around here. At best someone might say a buck scores 150 and have it turn out to be 125, but there sure ain't many of them. I do run into one guy who sees all sorts of nice big bucks each season, says he's got them pegged and everything, yet he shoots a little scrub buck each year.

·
Registered
118 Posts
What about Kansas?

If you listen to Jackie or Bill a 200 inch buck is born approximately every 1.6375 seconds in Kansas.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Big Uns'

I feel for you guys having to listen to fellow hunters tell these tall tales about the " big uns" they are seeing. I hear as much if not more, but think how boring it would be if not for (us). We could listen to somebody talk about the rise & fall in the stock market while we're getting our equipment worked on. We could listen to somebody talk about the problems they are having @ home or @ work, while we are picking up some arrows. Personally, I pay attention when I hear these tales, because you never know which one is true. What better way to get a handle on a big buck then to listen to bowshop gossip.
Who hasn't gotten excited at this time of year & say they saw "THE Buck", the one that was going to make you put in that extra effort, buy that new product, or spend those sleepless nights trying to figure out how you where going to get close enough to be able to harvest him.
I guess what I'm trying to say is , have patience with us, When we see that 125" buck & call him 150 , it's because we've been living & breathing this whitetail thing for almost as long as most most of us can remember.
Heck, it's the reason for the season!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Re: KS

KCJON said:
I LIVE IN KANSAS, AND IT AIN'T LIKE THAT!
I WISH IT WAY
JON
I do to I just get tired of hearing those guys on tv make it sound like there's one behind every tree.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
It is easy to get an 180 plus according to the "self proclaimed experts" on T.V. Grow some food, throw some seed, reap your kill. Most of the ones that do all the talking about the "big ones" keep forgetting to show me the pictures. The humble ones are the ones I like to talk to while they are showing me their kills.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
It's called "ground shrinkage" guys, and I think if you've hunted long enough you, too, have experienced it, LOL. Have patience. Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown :D

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Seeing the "Big Ones" and getting them are two different things!

A few years ago I hunted, exclusively, a nice ten point that I thought would score about 140. Saw this buck on several occasions but never close enough for me to get an arrow into him.

On the rifle opener my hunting partner shoot it, the true score turned out to be 164 green and 160+ cured.

I have never seen a larger buck while bow hunting and we plant all the things that are supposed to grow large bucks.

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
it is funny how those guys are seeing monsters everywhere, then about 2 wks into bow season come in with a pic of a 1 1/2 year old scrub 6 pointer!! i have found that alot of the guys around here that consistantly kill the big buck dont talk to much, you only see the pictures at the end of the season!! easton94

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
I have a friend that never says a thing about hunting unless I really ask the questions about how scouting has been going. In the past 3 years he has shot 4 buck that go over 140+ and 2 have been with the bow. He shot one 3 years ago that got him into the Mathews brochure, 180 1/8" 12 point 243#. What a monster. After he shot that one, everyone said they have seen it and claimed that he shot it on their property. WHAT A JOKE. Hunters that whine all the time should just quite hunting.

LeEarl

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
LeEarl/MN
If I saw that 180 +/- score buck, I would have a lot of trouble remaining calm. I would love to see a picture of that one. Your friend definitely got him a monster. One of the few. Good luck and thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The ones I love are the guys who carry on like they can hit a gnat in the eye at 60 yards, but can't hit a bull in the butt with a hand full of rice! Invariably the guys who showed up in my camps claiming what great shots they were missed, and sadly, were frequently poor sportsmen.

·
74,535 Posts
Amazing

I have four friends with deer that score well pass 200. 239, 240, 209, 228. The 240 plus one is state record. Guys there out there, not under ever tree. Three of those deer came from Okla., One from Iowa, so yes there alot more in Kansas, Illionois for sure.

Not talk when there on the wall. I have never seen a 200 class in field.

·
Registered
916 Posts
7 seconds

"A wise man (hunter) never boasts" but he sure as heck eats well!:D
Out for now

·
Registered
264 Posts
Exactly Daniel Boone.

There are a few around and 1 place I hunt has 1 that I think will crowd the heck out of 200 and that is a typical rack.I have hunted the area for years now and that is the only one that is really close to 200.I did see one that I believe to be 180 but like some others said,who knows with ground shrinkage.I have seen a couple of 170's but I guess I am like the people that sit and talk about them in the pro shops.I havn't been fortunate enough to bag one of them yet.Just because I haven't killed one yet doesn't mean I don't see them.That is the beauty of bow hunting.Just being able to find them doesn't quarantee a kill.Actually the spot that I have seen the nice deer is off limits to me as of right now but look to be able to hunt it again in the next few years.

For those that are wondering,I was raised in a house that has a deer that scored 187 6/8 on the wall that was at 1 time the biggest typical deer killed in the state of Ky with a gun.It has since fallen a few spots but is still a very nice deer and I do know what a 180- 190 class deer looks like up close.

My point is don't always be so skeptical because you never know what may be out there.God give you 1 mouth and 2 ears so it is clear he intended for you to do more listening than talking.

A guy at work last year was just the same as some of you.I showed him a picture of a deer that a friend of mine took and he said he must have killed it somwhere else because we don't have those kind of deer around here.He found out that we do have those kind of deer because he killed one of them.

·
Registered
937 Posts
big bones

i can honestly say i hvae seen a few that would go around 140', 150" but around here in NY the hunting pressure is tremendous and its hard to kill a buck like that. i've seen alot of younger bucks but i am not one to hunt for a rack it would be nice. but if i need meat in the freezer i kill<or at least try to > the first mature deer i see, doe or buck. as long as its a year and a half or better. my best buck i have killed is a 142" 10 pt. did i think he was a 180 comming through the swamp? of course did i think low of him when i found him and found out he would green score 154" NO all im saying is if you do your time in the woods scouting and sitting long hours in the stand you may get a crack at a biggun.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts