Archery Talk Forum banner

Everybody: Stock My Proshop

1758 Views 25 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  jonnybow
Alls I here from you guys are the thing our proshops don't have, how about telling me something I should carry, and really convince me.

And don't tell me red, white, and blue sure locs ;)
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
3,190 Posts
One item I have never seen in a pro shop is a decent hand warmer. Sodium acetate warmers are awesome and reusable. Keep hot for around 45 minutes and actually get _hot_. These things are awesome.

http://www.hotsnapz.com/

There are a bunch of different brands and such, this is just one of them. Never used this brand, but its just a chemical reaction from a supersaturated solution, so they should all be the same.

· Registered
3,878 Posts
Well since you asked....
1. Fix my number one pet peeve, please follow this recommendation if you don't do anything else i ask. Always carry spare blades and replacement parts for all broadheads you carry!!! I hate it when I buy Broadheads somewhere and they don't carry any spare blades. This will force alot of guys to take a chance with dull blades, or do their best to sharpen them and get them 'good enough'.
2. Carry several different styles of vanes and feathers.
3. Carry a few styles of releases for those getting into the sport. I see alot of guys shooting what the proshop had, not what actually fits them.
4. Spare blades for broadheads you carry. ;)

· Registered
1,047 Posts
these are my fav. companies...

Sights... Sure-loc, Extreme, Spot-hog

Stabilizers... AEP, Doinker

Rest... Bodoodle

Arrows.... Carbon Express, Easton, Gold Tip

Fletching... Duravanes

Bows... hoyt, mathews, bowtech

sight junk.... LP Archery (their Light is just the best)

releases... Tru ball, Carter

cases... Aroura Sp?, Plano

broadheads.... muzzy, thunderheads

i think i got all my bases covered... but hte things i would like to see more dealers carry that they dont are AEP Stabilizers for the fact the are the MOST adjustable stabilizer and can be set up to work for the bow and not the other way around.... i really love them alot

also lp pro light... this light is just sooo more advanced than any other on the market.... that is really all that you have to say...

and if i was to start a dealership this is what i would carry for hunting and target shooters also always be willing to order new things on request this is a way to keep up with a market that changes sooo fast.....

· Registered
1,100 Posts
1) Timberline No-Peep
2) Drop-away Rests...I was pissed when my Shop didn't carry any because he thought they weren't accurate
3) Whisker Biscuits...Agin my shop doesn't carry these because the owner doesn't like 'em
4) Camo (Kids too)...Again my archery shop doesn't have much of it...And no kids camo...I went to go buy some but none...I am 13 but even the Adult smalls are just a little big on me...(And I'm 5'7")...Carry more than MossyOak and Hardwoods (the old kind)
5) Carry archery books...My shop again doesn't have any
6) Blazers
7) Back-Tension/Thumb Trigger Releases..Again my shop doesn't have any.
8) Treestands...My shop only carries like one kind
9) Topo Maps...That would really help people that are trying to figure out places where deer/other animals are
10) A little more of target equipment...My shop carries one sight that has been there for a year....It is some Sure-Loc that is like 250 bucks.

· Registered
460 Posts
See everyone likes different things and we the pro shops can't stock everything. If your pro shop won't order it then it is up to you to find one that does. I try my best for my customers but to hear the people on AT thats never good enough. Maybe the pro shops should just close thier doors and everyone can order off the internet and try and get a new release or string or a fresh doz of arrows the day before the hunt. Maybe that is what the complaners are looking for. Maybe a little harsh but thats my .02 cents.

Grant

· Registered
97 Posts
My request isn't inventory related, it's knowledge. I'm tired of going into archery shops that are using an Easton arrow shaft/spine chart that's 5-6 yrs. old and doesn't have half of the modern arrows on it. Or you ask for Blazer vanes, or any other recent archery development, and they look at you like your crazy and have never heard of anything that's come out in the last 5 yrs.. Shops that haven't kept up with the times are annoying. Also a recently shut down local archery shop was dirty and dark inside, and everything was covered in dust. Keeping up with the times regarding knowledge and inventory and keeping things fresh and clean will go along ways toward making your customers feel they are shopping in a store that knows what it's doing and cares about it's customers in other words they're in a PRO shop. :)

· Registered
232 Posts
This must be Jamie :eek:

If so, congrats on your new shop.

We need some weekend one day tournaments during the indoor season. Like every Saturday...Make them fun and have a smack down shoot off....Have some payback for all levels.....You have the range to do it....Just need to promote it......I'll help :cool:

Bucket

· Registered
735 Posts
You see, I understand the law of supply and demand in business. It simply does not make sense for you to stock many target archery supplies. The demand isn't there, so if you put something on the shelf, it may sit there for months before you sell it. Carrying costs have to be covered in the price, so that makes it even more difficult to sell.

What bothers me is when my local shop doesn't have something I want, they try to switch me to something they happen to have, regardless of whether it will do the job or not. I've been shooting long enough to know to walk away from that, but a newbie just getting started in the sport has to depend on his/her local pro to get going.

I completely understand why proshops do not stock certain stuff, so I won't ask you to dampen your cash flow by doing so. My local guys have no problem ordering target bows for me, and they have just about anything I want for hunting. My wish? Please do not start new archers off with the wrong equipment because the right stuff cannot be stocked. That is all.

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't have a problem ordering the new stuff and keeping updated, that's why I am on Archery Talk, as for knowledge, well thats why I got my own shop, I go to tournaments and set up everyones bow that they just got at their local dealer.

As far as stocking everything local shops need to get a break on some of that, if it were that easy they wouldn't need to own a pro shop, you ever seen how much archery stuff there is not to mentionhow many styles of shooting there is.

Mike B. good to hear a friendly vibe, planning a indoor league just like you described 25 targets or shots to determine ranking, then a bracket tourament like college basketball, except for money. Head to Head Baby!

· Registered
2,195 Posts
I would suggest a very large inventory of customer service. I will gladly spend a few extra bucks on something from my local pro versus the internet just because he has great customer service. It seems that is the biggest complaint that people have........

· Premium Member
8,907 Posts
That's a P&Y question for sure!

NAP, Rocket, Barrie, Hoyt, Matthews, Cobra, Gold Tip, Carbon Express, Beman.

Don't compete with Walmart, or if possible Dick's.

Sell good advice and support. I don't mind buying my stuff at a pro shop, and only resort to Internet sourcing when the shop's just can't maintain an inventory of some minor gadget that has a small demand.

74,554 Posts
My suggestions

Simms products
Copper John Pin sights
Trophy Taker rest
Wasp broadheads
Tru Peep
Quickee quivers
Neet quivers
Goldtip arrow and Easton
Scott release and Carter
New Sureloc press
Cosmic Impact sights.
Mathews Bows
Loc On Treestands

· Registered
1,207 Posts
I like to see Bodoodle rests in every shop! Also, look into the new line of pin sights from Sword Acu-sight! Some target equipment is good but I wouldn't overstock the shelves with it as most of it is expensive! All of the other products mentioned;Copper John, Trophy Taker, etc. are good and well advertised products! As someone else said, knowledge of proper set-up and tuning and just treating the customers like they matter the most goes a long way to a successful business! Good Luck!

· Registered
7,807 Posts
Cavalier rests. Ask about buying Avalanche fall away in "bulk" (no packaging or cable slide). 3 years of use and sales that has been just excellent!!!

Extra sight pins for sights you carry.

Especially hunting size peeps.... buy in bulk. Pse 1/4" is awesome!!! Buy tubing in 50' rolls and pre-cut.

VSS muffs moleskin. Cut and bag for teflon sleeves. We put enough for 5 applications. To wrap around ends of sleeves of course to silence and double protect.

HHA sights. Quality first. Their warranty and service is second to none.

Decent amount of draw length modules for any bows you carry that need them.

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks HC,

I appreciate the advice thats what I'm looking for, aqs a matter of fact we just noticed the lack of modules for the PSE and AR bows. :eek:

You know its funny we have so many big things i.e. bows, and you find out its the little things that people really complain about you not having i.e. modules. Sometimes people don't realize how many little things their are to stock. :cool:

Thanx again,

Jamie

· Registered
1,745 Posts
Others have said it, but good old common courtesy. I went into on of the shops in my area owned by a "national champion" - he almost got up to help me. I guess I wasn't as interesting as Nintendo. :rolleyes:

Good thing there are other shops in town where I can spend money :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.