Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I find really amazing is any dog could find you regardless of the wind.

I really dont think we will ever understand the nose of a whitetail deer completely and that makes this such an amazing harvest.

Scent control has always been a mystery to me. WHY?

Becuase I have have harvested deer downwind and not scented down with a suit or nothing. Other days ever thing in the draw smells you know matter what.

I have come to the conclusion sometimes are scent does travel up, those days are diffiantly the best days to be in the woods with the rut.

We all know the rut throws deer caution to the wind.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
deers nose

I sometinmes wonder the same thing. My uncle has never cared about his scent controll ever. he shoots at tons of deer every yr with his bow at real close range. and only hunts in trees he can climb and sit on limbs. I always figured he had a horse shoe stuck in his butt.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
100% correct

that is the way i see it. sometimes your scent rises and they wouldn't smell you no matter what you smelled like.

maybe thats how some people swear by this scent suppression clothing and that spray. 7BRU

·
7,984 Posts
I see your point, but.....

the dog will find you by picking up your trail and searching for you....the deer may cross your trail and high-tail it out of there. I, too, have killed deer down wind, but when I think hard, the majority of deer that spooked and ran, either were down wind or crossed my trail.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Many years ago I read that Fred Bear really stressed using the thermals. So, in many instances as the day warms up from dawn to mid-day thermals can help us even if the wind changes direction. Perhaps that is a big part of the reason I prefer hunting mornings and seem to have more success during morning hunts. But I still won't hunt favorite spots if the wind direction is working against me.

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would think

Learning and a study of how thremalls raise and swirl would be an excellant read for any hunter.

I do believe 30ft high is the best scent cover.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Now we are cooking

Good point

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
I have come to the conclusion sometimes are scent does travel up

saving grace for all of us expert hunters is that it goes up most of the time.

don't think so? take a cigar up the tree with ya light it and watch the smoak. most always goes up up and away. so with it going up it can't get to the deer's nose and he doesn't smell it. and you the expert hunter have out foxed him ONE MORE TIME.

my five year study is complete, know all I got to do is break the cigar habit..

:darkbeer: :darkbeer: :darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I have come to the conclusion sometimes are scent does travel up
Okay.. you can give it up already. You just came to this conclusion? You didn't know that heat rises in the morning, carrying your scent upwards, and vice versa in the evenings, I can't even have fun arguing with you now. :rolleyes:

Becuase I have have harvested deer downwind and not scented down with a suit or nothing. Other days ever thing in the draw smells you know matter what.
You have just contradicted everything you've stated about scent lok in the other thread. :embara:

It's been fun. Take care and I wanna see your successful hunt photos. Really! Good luck to you.

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
Thats why I use wind floaters and not just the puff of powder you can follow them all the way to the ground. That way when a deer comes in I know I need to make a move before he reaches that line of scent are the game is over. I had two deer right under my stand last year they could not smell a thing but they walked out 40 yards from me and busted me well thats right were my sent was being blown to the ground at.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
The dog as able to find you by trailing where you walked in...That's why you are supposed to approach your stand in a manner that will make it less likely for the deer to cross your trail...The reason scent travels up or down hill has to do with thermals in temperature change that occurs early in the morning and late in the evening...

Bottom line is that if you are downwind of your quarry then they are not going to smell you...end of story...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts