Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, while not directly bow hunting, it is a bow hunting tool and worth noting. I have a bunch of knives...just ordered a Havalon based on recommendations from ATers, have Buck, Case, Gerber, Knives of Alaska, etc.

Well, my first knife was a Buck Squire 501 that I have carried forever...they still make it but mine is 35+ years old. When I was a kid I ruined the tip, and bent the spine trying to cut something in half (remember the knife cutting a bolt scene)? Well, I finally decided to have it repaired so I can give it to one of my kids.

I sent it back, with a note basically saying whatever it costs, just let me know, but I want it repaired not replaced. It's sentimental. So last night, the Buck customer care person calls me personally, and says we have the knife and it will need a new blade and spine. I said OK, but I want the original handles and bolsters, please repair and ship back to me. He said OK, we'll get it done. I said, how do I pay for this? He said, sir this knife should have lasted a lifetime, and we will repair for free and send it back. I said, wait, I damaged that thing long ago as a kid, it wasn't a defect. He said, is should not have bent, and we'll send it back have a nice night.

Man, that's what customer service is all about. That knife was probably $25 35 years ago. And they are fixing it and sending it back for free. And they called me the day they got it.

Some of you may recall my first post about BowTech and my issues attempting to buy one. Many told me I was full of it and ridiculous. Well, in this day and age, maybe it is ridiculous to expect a company to be great. But I'll buy from the ones that are...and Buck just reinforced everything I've ever thought about them...

Kudos to Buck.

·
Registered
238 Posts
that's good to hear. I have a couple of bucks that i will never part with. Good to see a company that still takes care of their customers.

x2 x2

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's good to hear. I have a couple of Bucks that I will never part with. Good to see a company that still takes care of their customers.
Yep I was pretty impressed. I never expected them to do anything but charge me, and I even expected they might say this isn't worth our time...and they blew me away. Sure it is small, but still...

·
Registered
523 Posts
i broke the tip of the blade on my buck 110 trying split a deers pelvic bone years ago , the knife just laid around the house for prob 10years, i came across it last summer doing some cleaning in my gun room. The brass had turned green, so i boxed it up along with a letter basically sayin the same thing you did & sent it back, Buck cleaned the brass & replaced the blade for nothing..Thats why every knife i own is a buck

·
Registered
10,387 Posts
Great knifes and from the sound of it a top notch company too. I agree that customer service is a large portion of loyalty. Its always nice to see one that really stands behind their products.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My Dad has a Buck knife he has carried since before I was born. I'm 41. Good to hear the company treated you so well.
Funny so does mine...his must be pushing 50 years old now, and mine is pushing 40...and they still look and work great...

·
Registered
13,334 Posts
Good to hear that!

·
Registered
276 Posts
i own 4 Buck knives myself! that's awesome to hear, great story!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts