Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's discouraging to not be able to do what you used to do at the level you used to do it. In 2001 I won the NESFFA 3d Sectionals with a 642 for 60 targets, RI State 3d Championship with a score almost as good and several other events. In August of 2002 I developed a tremor that has been with me, off and on, ever since.

Last year I discovered the root of my problem and had gotten to the point where I was almost out of it... then I had to go out of state for a job assignment and didn't shoot much for a couple of months. This was a big setback, but the problem hadn't changed its identity.

The problem (as I see it) is that I have a very difficult time letting go of the shot and just letting it happen. Something in me wants to "time" the front and back of the shot. This results in a lot of stop & go action, and a very weak shot. Lately I've been making some headway, but it is still difficult for me to let go.

The key is for me to learn to "let it float" (a concept that I truly have not understood, and am not 100% sure I do now)...

The routine I'm working combines blank bale, short range practice (7-14 yards) and shooting at an oversize target face at anywhere from 7 to 50 yards. I printed up a bunch of 80cm spots that are working out well for this.

The whole object is to get me used to letting it float. The oversize spot allows me to loosen up while aiming and during execution. I'm also trying very hard not to allow myself to force any shots off. As soon as I feel the tightening on my bow side (and/or shaking) I let down (at least most of the time). At least I'm at the point where I can identify when the shot is breaking down and can let down and recover most of the time. This is big.

·
Lou & Jode
10,783 Posts
Terry Wonderle teaches don't aim just exicute.Aiming is over rated too much leads to panic,get good tension point it and let er go!

·
Just shoot it!!!
3,178 Posts
I’ll put it to you very simple!

When shooting archery, the purpose is to hit the center of a target at 20, 40 or 50 yards out…………………………….that’s where your “concentration” needs to be!……...............................................:wink:

Not 30 inches (your sight pin) in front of your face!………………………:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Paul,
The program that seems to be working for me is very similar to yours. The large targets at close range.

The one thing that I am doing that I don't see in your practice program is practicing to love being at full draw. I know that this sounds a little silly, but I recently read it in a thread from about 3 years ago.

The idea is to come to full draw on a blank bale and feel what is going on with your form. A key for me is to relax and continue pulling, and avoid creeping and collapsing. Stay at full draw and continue the shot slowly and if you do it right, you will be disappointed when the arrow leaves.

Like I said, it sounds a little silly, but it is working for me.

Good luck,
Allen

·
EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AllenRead said:
Paul,
The program that seems to be working for me is very similar to yours. The large targets at close range.

The one thing that I am doing that I don't see in your practice program is practicing to love being at full draw. I know that this sounds a little silly, but I recently read it in a thread from about 3 years ago.

The idea is to come to full draw on a blank bale and feel what is going on with your form. A key for me is to relax and continue pulling, and avoid creeping and collapsing. Stay at full draw and continue the shot slowly and if you do it right, you will be disappointed when the arrow leaves.

Like I said, it sounds a little silly, but it is working for me.

Good luck,
Allen
This is good stuff...

·
Registered
335 Posts
practice

EPLC said:
This is good stuff...
you can try this

at short oversize target at full draw hold and aim , relax focus on the target not the pin hold it from 8 to 10 sec. them add more sec. to it i hold like 22 to 25 finish with the shot but always keep the tension on your relaese i practice this once a week at all distance specially at 90 mts this has move me from a 285 pts to a 334 pts at 90mts this is in FITA competion .
i learned this shooting indoors from a hoyt pro shooter
get back to you game
aim for the gold

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Just my thoughts

I am no pro, so take with a grain of salt, but I am assuming that you are using a sight with pins/dot, have you thought about going to a sight with no pins, such as the xview or the true spot? I just find the hole that I want to hit and stare at it, because their is no pin the floating doesnt seem as bad (I use a 6X scope)I stare at what I want to hit and execute the shot, if what I am staring at disappears or something goes wrong I let down, because when everything is flowing it shouldn't take more than 3 seconds for the shot to break when I am on. once again, just my thoughts. Good luck

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
It amazes me to see how very small changes in form show up on my anchor sight, form easily adjusted, and away the arrow flys! I found that the florescent orange spots help my perspective concentration, not like theres alot of that either! As soon as everything lines up at full draw, I let 'er rip!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts