Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I noticed after 30 minutes of shooting my arrows go low. I think that is because I am dropping my bow arm. Does anyone know of any shoulder exercises and arm exercises that will let me hold up the bow for longer?

Thank you

·
Registered
Isaiah 6:8
3,545 Posts
Hello

I noticed after 30 minutes of shooting my arrows go low. I think that is because I am dropping my bow arm. Does anyone know of any shoulder exercises and arm exercises that will let me hold up the bow for longer?

Thank you
Archery Strong has a weekly program designed to keep you in shooting shape. It's 10 bucks/month. I do it and have noticed i can shoot longer without that same pin dropping, and my pin float is considerably slower and less

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,574 Posts
DON"T!!!! Do a full body workout. Isolating a group of muscles causes nothing but problems. Like said above, pay particular attention to your core but workout everything.

·
Come on October!!!!
3,106 Posts
DON"T!!!! Do a full body workout. Isolating a group of muscles causes nothing but problems. Like said above, pay particular attention to your core but workout everything.
X infinity!!!!!! and not just before the season, stay in shape year round. You really don't have 4-5 hours a week to invest in yourself?

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Hello

Thank you
Have someone that knows what they are doing with a bow watch you shoot... because while dropping the bow arm is one of the causes of hitting below your point of aim, it is NOT the only cause. Before you try to fix what you THINK is the cause of your hitting low problem, make sure that it IS the cause.

As for exercises, I agree with SHPoet, work on improving your overall fitness, with emphasis on core, shoulder and back.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
OP: Set up a video camera and video yourself shoot. You might be surprised by what you will see.

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
X infinity!!!!!! and not just before the season, stay in shape year round.
Truer words were never written.

Training with weights and machines is certainly helpful, but your archery muscles don't respond much to simply bench press and curls. And you don't need to workout every day. Also, with a well balanced program you can improve strength with as few as two workouts a week. To much in the gym, and your archery will actually suffer. Tired muscles do not shoot the best.

For an economy approach, I've learned that simple flys and raises with dumbells is a good start. Put a mat on the floor for sit ups, leg lifts and stretches. Cross body pulls with exercise bands use the same muscles as your bow uses. And that's all fairly cheap.

I also have a Body Solid workstation and free weights in my basement gym, right beside my 20yd indoor range.
I have a fixed level for all of my exercises. I don't need to improve anything, at 70, I just need everything to keep working. And I've been working out for the last 55 years, along with cardio walking and cycling, skiing in the winter, etc. (knees no linger run farther than across the street).

One last thought. Sometimes I catch myself dropping the bow on a shot. It's called peeking. Trying to see where things are landing. A lack of proper follow through.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hello

Thank you
Swimming actual laps or treading water.
If you can’t get wet then rowing machines or resistance bands at a gym.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I was having trouble with my groups so I reduced my draw weight and my groups improved. Just a thought

·
Back Yard Champion
30,756 Posts
Hello

Thank you
Nothing strengthens like shooting more, but pace yourself. Allow 15 to 17 between shots. Over bowed (too much draw weight) is one that all should look at. Bad form could be another reason.

OP: Set up a video camera and video yourself shoot. You might be surprised by what you will see.
It would show weakness of form, stance, bow arm and maybe release arm. Video both sides.

Last time I worked out was my senior year in high school. Baseball practice. Worked in the work shop for 36 years. Farmed some, broke out a few horses. Never drew 70 pounds when I could draw 70 pounds. 62 pounds worked out great for a long, long time. 72 years old and shoot daily, but 52, 53 and 55 pounds bows.

·
Rocky Hill
1,398 Posts
After shoulder surgery, I found that using a theraband helped my bow arm a lot. I think you can get them at any pharmacy or medical supply. I believe it could help your bow arm strengthen.

Rocky

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would say consistent shooting would help. (Along with some of the above recommendations) I would think it’s like anything else the more repetition you get on those specific muscles they would increase in strength. Of course I need need practice what I preach

1 - 15 of 15 Posts