Archery Talk Forum banner

Exit Wound Video

2724 40
I don't post here much but I read a lot and thought some of you might like this video. I tried to embed the video, but could not get it to work.

I shot this buck last Monday evening, the shot was around 10-12 yards and I was approximately 35 feet above the deer (yep, too steep of an angle). The shot is only that steep in one place and if I would have waited a few more yards, the angle would have been much better.

At the shot, the deer ran about 40-50 yards and stopped, I watched (waiting on him to fall) as he stood still for a couple of minutes, he then proceded to walk up a steep hill and out of sight. I could my arrow laying on the ground and not "stuck" in the ground, I climbed down and the arrow had meat on the broadhead and the fletching and fat smeared on the shaft, no blood and a little hair.

I climbed back up and ended up seeing the buck right before dark and he appeared fine and it looks like he is fine.

Anyway, you can clearly see the exit wound and that the deer appears OK a week later.

I would have thought this would have taken aout his offside lung, but I'm not sure. I know some people believe in a "non vital zone above the lungs and below the spine" and some don't. Either way, I wanted to show how tough deer are and show an interesting video.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
1,423 Posts
I don't post here much but I read a lot and thought some of you might like this video. I tried to embed the video, but could not get it to work.

I shot this buck last Monday evening, the shot was around 10-12 yards and I was approximately 35 feet above the deer (yep, too steep of an angle). The shot is only that steep in one place and if I would have waited a few more yards, the angle would have been much better.

At the shot, the deer ran about 40-50 yards and stopped, I watched (waiting on him to fall) as he stood still for a couple of minutes, he then proceded to walk up a steep hill and out of sight. I could my arrow laying on the ground and not "stuck" in the ground, I climbed down and the arrow had meat on the broadhead and the fletching and fat smeared on the shaft, no blood and a little hair.

I climbed back up and ended up seeing the buck right before dark and he appeared fine and it looks like he is fine.

Anyway, you can clearly see the exit wound and that the deer appears OK a week later.

I would have thought this would have taken aout his offside lung, but I'm not sure. I know some people believe in a "non vital zone above the lungs and below the spine" and some don't. Either way, I wanted to show how tough deer are and show an interesting video.

looked like a good shot i guess you never know

· Tater's Archery Solutions
2,660 Posts
That's interesting. I do believe in this non-vital zone, some call "no-man's-land". I have read many arguments about wether it's there or not. But my father arrowed a nice buck a few years back and he hit it there and we never found him.

Sorry about your unfortunate luck. Nice to see the deer seems to be doing fine. Maybe you'll get another crack at him.

Tater

· Banned
3,149 Posts
I can't believe that deer is alive :confused: Looks like a great shot!!

· Get out and shoot!
3,807 Posts
It must have hit above the spine and came out there. Basically a under the hide shot. thats exactly what I thought when you discribed the arrow.

· Registered
1,999 Posts
wow! thats amazing...that sure is nice to have proof that hes just fine though. i made a bad shot on my very first deer, and it about made me sick wondering if he was fine, or mortally wounded. i ended up seeing him a day later with a bigol hemotoma where id shot him, so i doubt he made it. i still have that arrow in my bow case to remind me to make a good shot.

· Guipago
3,109 Posts
Meat above the spine, I had that happen to me once and I killed the buck exactly 1 week later.

· Registered
1,391 Posts
For that steep of an angle it had to have went into the same side, if this is the exit side. He will be fine and you will learn something from it, and hopefully you will get him soon, nice buck

· Registered
5,351 Posts
Wow. If that's the exit then it must have hit way high not to hit vitals.

· Registered
153 Posts
wow thats amazing! "No mans land" has always made logical sense to me, however I didn't know if it really could happen. This is about all the proof I need. Hope ya gettem later

· wannabtradguy
15,328 Posts
wow. thats something else. strange things happen sometimes. one thing I would change though is not to climb so high. I used to do that as well but now a days I hardly ever get over 22 or so ft and usually much less.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wow. thats something else. strange things happen sometimes. one thing I would change though is not to climb so high. I used to do that as well but now a days I hardly ever get over 22 or so ft and usually much less.
I should have mentioned this in the first post. The base of my lock on is about 22-23 feet, but its onteh side of steep hill, the only shot that is really high and steep is the shot that I took , the buck was directly in front of the stand at the steepest part of the hill.

Hindsight being 20/20, I should of waited until he was 20 yards or so further to my left and on a higher spot, which would have lessened the angle of the shot.

To the right and left of the stand, I am nowhere near as high as straight ahead, and 40 yards behind me is basically the same level as my stand.

Simple thing would have been to skip the broadside shot and then shot him at 20-25 yards quartering away, its just hard to pass a 10 yarder. The buck had no clue that I was within a mile of him, even after the shot, I don't think he knew what happened.

· Registered
747 Posts
That deer should be dead. I cannot explain this at all. I thought I had seen everything(shot placement). But regardless of the angle that deer should be dead. I have killed over 100 deer with archery equipment and have made every shot you can imagine. Maybe if you were shooting at him walking above you like on the side of a steep mountain. I once shot a deer like that before. Maybe the void is lower than we know about on this particular deer. I do believe in the void area, even though It's been explained to me that it does not exist. I am speechless on this one.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.