Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am trying to get my moose tag for Maine and I want to take one with my bow. That being said, i shoot the grim reaper 1 3/8 razor cut and didnt know if that would do the trick. Everything I have read says use fixed Blade. I would like to hear peoples thoughts and opinions on this....

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have killed everything from moose to elk to bears to deer to hog with a 1-3/8" cut Grim Reaper Razortip.
Awesome!!! i figure they should be a fine choice, maybe i will go with the 125's. they certinly make a mess of the deer i have shot!!! thank you!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Hey guys,

I am trying to get my moose tag for Maine and I want to take one with my bow. That being said, i shoot the grim reaper 1 3/8 razor cut and didnt know if that would do the trick. Everything I have read says use fixed Blade. I would like to hear peoples thoughts and opinions on this....
If your shooting expandables out of a fast bow, slow it down by using a heavy arrow. But if it where me Fixed 2 blade!

·
Hunt to Live
2,159 Posts
My brother and I do our float trip almost every year and we have killed several with expandables. Probably 6 or so now. Grim Reapers, Swackers, etc... Never had a problem yet. With that said, I've killed more with 2 blade Magnus Stingers and I feel with a marginal shot, they WILL preform better.

·
Born yank raised south
16,496 Posts
Mr Murphy is my friend so I would definitely pick a stout fixed blade head. On the hunt of a lifetime why leave anything to chance?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Moose would be a once in a lifetime opportunity for me...I just couldn't even take the remote chance on anything that had a remote possibility of mechanical failure.

With my luck, if it was ever going to happen, it would happen on MY moose!

Best of Luck,
Jeff

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah those are all good points, so i am thinking i might do a COC head, like a 3 blade muzzy, going slow and heavy.... My PSE gets about 290FPS on a 400g arrow. so i am thinking at east a 480 g aroow that gets 250FPS would be pretty deadly.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
20,800 Posts
yeah those are all good points, so i am thinking i might do a COC head, like a 3 blade muzzy, going slow and heavy.... My PSE gets about 290FPS on a 400g arrow. so i am thinking at east a 480 g aroow that gets 250FPS would be pretty deadly.
Good thinking

·
Registered
826 Posts
Just the hide on a moose is twice the thickness as a deer's hide. Not to mention approx. quadruple muscle and probably quadruple size bones compared to a deer. Lots of deer shot with a .22 rim fire but no one seriously hunts with one legally during season. Sturdy fixed blade. I like Magnus and Slick Tricks but there's plenty of good solid fixed blade heads out there that shoot great.

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
i also shoot the 1 3/8 reapers at deer all day, but if it were me i would have to try a 2 blade fixed. the stingers/buzzcuts have always been good to me in the past, but would be tempted to try the dirt nap heads

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
There is no doubt about it, I would never use a mechanical on a moose. Again this is my experience with Alaskan Moose. Number one I think we have to agree that a fixed head will get a bit more penetration than a mechanical head, sort of logical, some kind of energy is needed to open the blades. Ok, so lets go back to the year 2000. I was hunting brown bear with my 65lb bow with a fixed blade head. On my walk back from the brown bear area, I happened upon a monster 62 inch moose of a lifetime. 58 yards shot. hard angle away, My arrow hit a bit farther back than I wanted . Long story short, after my makeshift autopsy I got about one or two inches of penetration into the liver. It took him a few hours to expire. I feel with a mechanical head I would not have gotten that extra inch or two of penetration to kill that animal. They are a big bodied animal, lots of mass and tough hide. On such a coveted hunt , ask yourself. Why take the risk? 62inch alaska moose.jpg

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've killed 2 moose with the bow, one was with a G5 montec (quebec), the other with a cut to the point single blade bear traditional head, (newfoundland)
one with the montec out of a 60 lb compound with a 525 grain arrow combo, that was a pass thru
the other with a 560 grain arrow out of a 64 lb longbow, that one penetrated into the opposite shoulder.

the only problem I see for you is actually getting drawn for a tag in maine. I am in my 24th year of applying and have not been picked. so good luck with the draw.

I would say no to expandables, just my opinion. if it happens to open up across two ribs it may not penetrate as much as you would like.

·
Heavy Hitter
2,525 Posts
You could use mechanicals, but my question is why would you? A maine moose is most likely once in a lifetime, thats not something im going to chance with a mech, I would probably go with something like a montec or something c.o.c

1 - 20 of 52 Posts