Archery Talk Forum banner

Experianced headlight users.

606 11
I need a headlight for hunting, red beam or with a red filter. It needs to operate in cold (0F and below, I'm assuming lithium battery only will work), be semi waterproof, and go on my head. Will be used for walking in and out, and gutting. Anyone have any recommendations for a reasonably priced headlight that would work for me? One model I had looked at is the TacTikka XP. Anyone use one before/have comments on it? Thank you.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
3,016 Posts
I have a cabelas guide seiries head lamp three stndard AA batt and have never had any problems with cold, -14 no problems. It is fairly durable my 3 year old has not broke it yet. I also have petzel that uses 4 AAA batt and it also works well. It has a green led. I don't think you can get the cabelas with a red lense or filter but I think some plastic wrap or sulifane will work.

· Registered
133 Posts
get a remote battery pack, they are the only ones i wear hiking in the mountains. the ones that can not be covered and kept warm will fail. red or blue are best i would never hike in and use white. when fishing i always use red, even put in a mess of them in the boat so i don't lose night vision.

· Registered
3,185 Posts
I use a Photon Fusion Headlamp. I have used it icefishing and it works fine in the cold. The one thing that I really like about the company is when I was in Iraq my friend broke his strap under his kevlar. He contacted the company and they sent him a strap to Iraq right away and free of charge. Since then I have had mine for 3 years and it is still working great.

· Registered
2,070 Posts
I've been pretty happy with the cheapo LED combo headlight I bought at Walmart. You can cycle it between red or white LED's. Two years with no problems.

· Registered
530 Posts
I've been pretty happy with the cheapo LED combo headlight I bought at Walmart. You can cycle it between red or white LED's. Two years with no problems.
Same thing here! I have had mine for 2 years also and it has been great! Extra bright and durable! I would reccommend it to anyone that asks!

· Registered
181 Posts
Petzl makes great lamps.

· Registered
148 Posts
black diamond, black diamond, black diamond. I have the icon and it's a great lamp BUT the customer service for black diamond is the best! They will send you out any part you need free... two day shipping...even after you break it and it's your fault. I will never buy anthing but black diamond. Period.

· audentes fortuna iuvat
21,479 Posts
El cheapo Energizer from Wally World. It has four different settings, including red. Thing works great, even after I ran it through the washing machine. Forgot it inside my Heater Body Suit and it survived a full wash cycle and still works great....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.